Drawing quads

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
rogerdv

Drawing quads

Post by rogerdv »

Im trying to implement a Neverwinter like view (almost got it), now Im rendering the floor using a square mesh. I would like to know if there is some way to replace the mesh by a simple textured polygon to reduce rendering time (im getting less than 1 fps). Is it possible?
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

I never played Neverwinter Nights, but I think it's like DungeonSiege, isn't it? But I don't understand the problem, are you drawing a very large mesh as floor? How many poly does it have? If it only has 2 polygons, it would not make any difference py replacing it with a simple textured polygon, then the problem for your low fps is somewhere else.
rogerdv

Post by rogerdv »

it is not a large mesh, and polycount must be low (no more than 12). I dont know a way to create a flat mesh. But it is draw up to 256 times to fill the *visible area* with tiles.
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

You can make your own custom vertice mesh and put it in a node, or use KnightofFlight's Terrain generator (still in infacy).

Or go the cheesy way that I did in one tutorial and use flat HillPlane meshes.

http://www.saigumi.net/archives/000027.html
Crud, how do I do this again?