protect my models

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
omar shaaban

protect my models

Post by omar shaaban »

how can i protect my models!! is there any way :?
JP

Post by JP »

You mean so someone can't download your game and steal the models? Don't think there is anyway. You can't use password enabled .zip files with Irrlicht (and apparently they're too easy to break into anyway).

Though there might be some other form of encryption you could use. But why don't you want other people using them?
Image Image Image
omar shaaban

Post by omar shaaban »

fast reply jp:lol:
because like other game companies they don't want all their hard work in the models to be taken :wink:
zeno60

Post by zeno60 »

I think the best way to protect your models is to never release them. Other than that ... I have no clue. I want to ask why though? Understandable you put a lot of effort and time into them, but wouldn't it be good for someone to use your model in their own game (with credit of course) and give you more exposure as an artist?
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Look at the Adobe 3d applications. They have a tool to "live capture" meshes from apps. They read the geometry from the d3d or opengl layer. I don't think you can avoid such techniques, it's just a question how much effort or money you and they have to put into it. But you can easily get money from copyright frauds, so it might be quite useful for you to have people use your meshes without permission :lol:
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

I just wouldn't bother. Even for all the commercial there are tools to convert/create models in their format. So what?
Copyright law protects you already from using them commercially and if people want to play with them, what's the harm.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

yes, it's much more sensible to let people get at your models, appealing to modders extends the life and popularity of your game.
however, if you really want to do it, someone did have luck with loading resources from an encrypted sqlite database, and irrlicht supports memory files.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
3ddev

Post by 3ddev »

I have had this thought before, too. Could it be possible to add the models as a resource? I don't see why not. The only problem would be loading them. Any ideas? :?
Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

You can create your own model files. Of course this means you would have to import them on your own, for which you need to know a lot about how irrlicht works. You will also be able to use some kind of encryption too.
The other problem, except for manual import, you will need to write either a 3D modeler for those files, or a converter that takes some popular model format and converts it into your own. In this way you just have to keep quiet of the file's structure and no one will be able to use your models (apart from the adobe 3d thingies)
Xharock

Post by Xharock »

Put them all in a re-named .zip file and use Irrlicht to open up the archive. Fools quite a few people :D
varnie

Post by varnie »

hmm..
and what if to crypt these model's files which are supposed to put into zip archive in first.
and then after this archive being loaded, de-crypt these files and only then use them? just a thought, though.
Xharock

Post by Xharock »

I don't think there's much point really. Why would anyone want to take your models anyway?
omar shaaban

Post by omar shaaban »

:P ya ya so either to copyright my characters and that means $$$ or to let people use them :cry: or to make my own format.
"Why would anyone want to take your models anyway?" mm they are not very good :lol:
@zeno16:"I think the best way to protect your models is to never release them"
how!!? make all the models square :shock:
@hybird:blah blah bola
really is there a live capture i will check it now!! to get all the 3d models i need heee :twisted:
@Saturn :"I just wouldn't bother. Even for all the commercial there are tools to convert/create models in their format. So what?
Copyright law protects you already from using them commercially and if people want to play with them, what's the harm."
yes if people want to play with them or edit them no problem ,the problem is they may use them in their projects !
Xharock

Post by Xharock »

Copyright protection doesn't cost anything. You just need proof that ou created it and the date at which you created it. Here is the US site on copyright: http://www.copyright.gov/
And the UK one: http://www.patent.gov.uk/copy.htm
omar shaaban

Post by omar shaaban »

no there us a registration fee of 45 $