New Animation System for Irrlicht

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
buhatkj

Post by buhatkj »

Updated from SVN, and once I added CBoneSceneNode.h, .cpp and IBoneScenenode.h to the VC++ 2005 project everything compiled nicely. First thing I noticed is that when my b3d mesh loads up in my test app, it's animations automatically play at the proper speed instead of being ridiculously slow, that's an improvement by itself! I will test out some more stuff now and let y'all know.
My irrlicht-based projects have gone underground for now, but if you want, check out my webcomic instead! http://brokenboomerang.net
white tiger

Post by white tiger »

but is the joint control only for b3d format or also for .x and .ms3d formats?
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

but is the joint control only for b3d format or also for .x and .ms3d formats?
All the formats will be using the same animator with the new animation system, so the bone control will work for all formats. But the x and ms3d loaders haven't been converted over yet. If none is willing to convert them, I'll do it when I have some time. converting them basically involves changing where it stores the data from the mesh, and deleting it's animator stuff.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

since i own an milkshape license, i'll volunteer for the ms3d loader... i make no promises about the x loader though, that one will be hard!
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

thanks bitplane. I haven't got around to getting milkshake yet so it would be tricky.

I'll have a look an the x loader later, if none wants to. hopefully it's not to hard, it already has a separate loader and animator. It's method of loading the mesh is different but the structure of the loaded mesh is pretty similar. It still looks like a fair bit of work.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Wait a second so if I update from SVN I can start manipulating B3D node's bones right away? :shock:
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

Wait a second so if I update from SVN I can start manipulating B3D node's bones right away?
well yes, but it's in a branch of the SVN, and you have to change an if(0) to if(1), as I said above.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

Luke, I think is way better option b3d than x (me saying this, lol ) , counting on probs people tend to have exporting x, specially from blender...(edit: I have zero probs, but simply, people read less the doc than I ;) and also, an expert 3d artist does not let certain problems happen...)
Last edited by vermeer on Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Hi there i just tested exporting a model from blender into irrlicht and moving the bones in the SVN version and it works great! :D I had absolutely no problems controlling the bones even though I had to set a negative scale to compensate for mirroredmesh/invertednormals!

Good job!

Note to users: To manipulate a bone use "getJointNode()" on an animated mesh and pass that function a string containing the bones name then you can just use "setRotation" on the returned pointer and everything is honkydory, very nice irrlicht integration!
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

Hi there i just tested exporting a model from blender into irrlicht and moving the bones in the SVN version and it works great! Very Happy I had absolutely no problems controlling the bones even though I had to set a negative scale to compensate for mirroredmesh/invertednormals!
I'm glad it worked for you, I'll develop it and add better support soon. I've switched to Linux, so it may be a few more days before I get use to it all, and can work on the skinnedMesh stuff again.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

just need to recompile the latest svn irrlicht? or is it in the .../branches/SkinnedMesh folder?
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

yeah it's just the ./branches/SkinnedMesh
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

alright transitions (smoothly blending between two animations) now work.

the new animation plays while blending which I think looks nice

the code could be faster, but it works.

(a bit of joint control(the head looking around), and shows transitions between animations)
http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/8/10/ ... 0drawf.zip

(transitions, bumpmapping and looks cool :) )
http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/8/10/ ... 0beast.zip
Last edited by Luke on Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dances

Post by Dances »

You are a genius!
alexionne

Post by alexionne »

Hi, everyone!

I've just read this whole thread. First of all, great work Luke & all contributors on this task :-)

I've just got an idea to contribute to Irrlicht, as well as to New Animation System by implementing Lightwave files loader (.lwo and .lws). I'm using LW natively in my engine, and I've implemented really lot of LW-specific features so far.

My question is: What would be the best place to start with the task? B3D loader? I only need several hints and directions just for the beginning.

Best regards to all!