Post Your Irrlicht Screenshots / Render Here.

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
hendu

Re: Post Your Irrlicht Screenshots / Render Here.

Post by hendu »

http://jbit.net/~sparky/sfgrad_bump/mm_sfgrad_bump.pdf

Tangentless normal mapping. No I don't want to preprocess my meshes nor upload unneeded tangents.

Before - after:
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

are you generating the tengents on the fly?

I was using techic for normal maping w/o tengents befor i switched to the FVF svn
fmx

Post by fmx »

the article doesn't even mention speed and framerates, so my guess is that it must be MUCH slower than uploading tangents to do normal-mapping the traditional way :)
Useful for offline editors though

hendu you should add some specular lighting to your shots because they amplify the effect of normal mapping
hendu

Post by hendu »

Granyte wrote:are you generating the tengents on the fly?
No, and that's the point. There are no tangents. Do read the paper :)

It works in screen space, per-triangle.
fmx wrote:the article doesn't even mention speed and framerates, so my guess is that it must be MUCH slower than uploading tangents to do normal-mapping the traditional way :)
Useful for offline editors though

hendu you should add some specular lighting to your shots because they amplify the effect of normal mapping
It's likely slower than object-space normal-mapping, but as tangent-space needs a few calculations too, the speed difference to tangent space normals may not be big. CBA to set up traditional tangent-space mapping to compare ;)

Also, as the paper mentions, it was used in Uncharted 2.

Even if it's a little slower than tangent space, it has less limitations (texture _can_ be mirrored/replicated over a mesh), doesn't require uploading unnecessary tangents (less VRAM use, faster uploads), doesn't require mesh pre-processing (all is handled at runtime, via the texture).

In general this class of algorithms is much superior. Anything works, all without preprocessing. Just like screen-space SSAO > pre-calculated SSAO.
mongoose7

Post by mongoose7 »

What's the limitaton? I know I was trying to do something similar, but shaders only give you information for the current vertex/pixel. ddx_fine/ddy_fine look like functions that allow the GPU to provide the missing information, but where are they available?

Also, does the technique in the paper require you *not* to use vertex shaders? That is, will it only work if there isn't a vertex shader?
hendu

Post by hendu »

What's the limitaton? I know I was trying to do something similar, but shaders only give you information for the current vertex/pixel. ddx_fine/ddy_fine look like functions that allow the GPU to provide the missing information, but where are they available?
I use GL dFdx, dFdy, which correspond to ddx and ddy. The HLSL _fine versions require DX11 cards, but the normal versions and so the GL equivalents should work on anything GL2 (~DX 9.0c).
Also, does the technique in the paper require you *not* to use vertex shaders? That is, will it only work if there isn't a vertex shader?
No such limit, use all shaders you want.
hendu

Post by hendu »

Testing it with text (normalmapped text, yay!)
hendu

Post by hendu »

I improved the quality a bit. On the speed, with 640x480 all covered I get 300fps - keep in mind this is with tearing prevention, so the full speed would be even higher. Can't complain.

fmx

Post by fmx »

I cant argue with you on that one, good stuff :wink:
thanks for sharing as usual
hendu

Post by hendu »

Atmospheric scattering (sky color, sun) from ShaderX2.

I'll need to compare this with the ATMOsphere from here once I add luna and stars.

Granyte

Post by Granyte »

preatty nice colors you have there is this algorythm capable of extra atmospheric effect?
hendu

Post by hendu »

What do you mean by extra effects?
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

i mean like the atmosphere seen from the outside but i guess it can't you didn't think about it
hendu

Post by hendu »

Ah, no, it doesn't do that. It's very optimized for the sky as seen from the planet surface, basically making it do scattering from the outside too would mean picking a different algo.
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

alright that's what i was wondering the one i implemented can do both but i can't get it to output a nice sunset color sky