protect my models

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
zeno60

Post by zeno60 »

omar shaaban wrote::P ya ya so either to copyright my characters and that means $$$ or to let people use them :cry: or to make my own format.
"Why would anyone want to take your models anyway?" mm they are not very good :lol:
@zeno16:"I think the best way to protect your models is to never release them"
how!!? make all the models square :shock:
@hybird:blah blah bola
really is there a live capture i will check it now!! to get all the 3d models i need heee :twisted:
@Saturn :"I just wouldn't bother. Even for all the commercial there are tools to convert/create models in their format. So what?
Copyright law protects you already from using them commercially and if people want to play with them, what's the harm."
yes if people want to play with them or edit them no problem ,the problem is they may use them in their projects !
Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer right?
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

You don't have to register copyright. You just have to claim it and it's yours for your own original work in US.

In some countries, like Germany, you don't even have to claim it. It is yours automatically whether you want or not.
omar shaaban

Post by omar shaaban »

:? mmm ok so what if one use them!!
i go and tell the police 8)
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

So since there are hundreds of free meshes out there, what makes you think anyone would really think about using yours? You don't seem to know about copyright, how long will it take to learn about 3d modelling :lol:
omar shaaban

Post by omar shaaban »

:evil: well i have learned 3d modeling and animating and texturing :!:
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

omar shaaban wrote::? mmm ok so what if one use them!!
i go and tell the police 8)
You're in the same position as the game companies and you have the same ways to handle such a case.
1. ignore it.
2. ask the person to stop using it (that's enough in most cases)
3. get an advocate and ask him to stop that person
varnie

Post by varnie »

and why don't you want to crypt/decrypt your models as i adviced above? what's wrong with this approach?
3ddev

Post by 3ddev »

Ok, I searched the web and found a tool that does the job. It includes all your dlls and data files(models in this case) into your main executable. The only downside of this program is that it is shareware. :( However, if you are going commercial, this shouldn't be a problem. The program is called XBundler and can be found at this web site: http://www.oreans.com/xbundler.php :wink:
Acki

Post by Acki »

I just added password protection for DX meshes to my IrrExtensions !!!
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java
drac_gd

Post by drac_gd »

You cant completely protect a stand alone app or resources of any kind. If you had huge resources you could make it so it might take a determined hacker a few months to break. Have you known of any stand alone protection system to be unbreakable? I havent. Systems in which the data resides on a server under the companies control have a better chance of being secure but then stand alone games dont fit this model.

That being said there are ways to make it so that at least a hacker has to disassemble your program some. There are streaming ciphers like AES that are releatively simple to implement if you are just using a fixed key hidden in your app. I doesnt take a lot of work to implement but then it also doesnt take a lot of work to crack either.
kburkhart84

Post by kburkhart84 »

I think it's a waste of time to try to protect the files themselves as a whole. I personally might create my own format so it isn't so easy, but I wouldn't try to make it where someone can't get the files themselves. I figure if my models are good enough for someone to want that bad, then they can have them, as long as I don't see them used to make money. Then it is different. I don't think my assets are very good anyway so I don't worry, and even when they get that good....
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

we are the modern equivalent of toy makers, an ancient art of making toys to bring more happiness to the world.
locking your toys up goes against the spirit of the whole thing, didn't your mother teach you to share? ;)

cool extention though acki.. how does it encrypt the data?
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Acki

Post by Acki »

The en-/decryption is done based on the Enigma machine (invented in WW2 by the nazis) !!!

If you want more informations on the Enigma: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enigma_machine

I use a 4 wheels Enigma, where the wheels are represented by strings...
So I have 5 strings (1 reference and 4 wheels)...
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Hmm, Enigma was invented several years earlier (in the beginning of the 20th century), so no invention by the Nazis. However, it is a slow and unsecure cipher. So basically another toy to play with :wink:
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

you can write some encryptor - decryptor, then keep encrypted files, game would decrypt them on the fly