IrrBook - Irrlicht Game Programming -

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

not only is it polite but legal to get niko's permission first.

the license for the engine is zlib but the copyrights of his story are something else entirely.

just an FYI.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

Great, most people especially the starters would love to see your ebook coming out. And... I'm very sure niko will allow you to write about him if you ask for permission. Good luck. 8)
zack_fix

Post by zack_fix »

Yeah I sent him an email but he hasn't gotten back to me. I am going out of town today so I will have to wait until wendsday to release chapters 1 - 3. Well thanks for the advice and thanks for the posts. Bye
ASUS M2N-VM DH Motherboard w/ AMD 3.81GHZ
4 GB DDR2 RAM
120 GB HARDDRIVE w/ XP-Media Center Ed.
Radeon HD 2900 XT 1GB GDDR4 w/ 21" LCD - HD Flat-Panel
Total Cost: Priceless....
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

I don't see why you'd need Niko's permission to write a book about Irrlicht. Only if you plan on copying content that he wrote (ie the tutorials). Using content from the wiki will be legally awkward though, as contributors are not forced to adhere to a specific copyleft (or other) license - you'd need to get permission from every author.

edit: actually, I changed my mind about the tutorials. The zlib license gives complete permission for any purpose, and since doxygen creates the tutorials from the comments you're well within your rights to use them for any reason.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
dejai

Post by dejai »

The API Documentation is your best bet, I was confused how to use it till I took the time to really look. Read the very first page of the documentation in your Irrlicht engine folder under the /doc directory. It Explains how to use the documentation or at least where to start and it is very helpful.
Programming Blog: http://www.uberwolf.com