iPhone?

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
dabeav

Post by dabeav »

I know objc is able to be mixed with C++, but being that I have never done it, hopefully that wont make the port that much more difficult.
Sherry Haibara

Post by Sherry Haibara »

Well, actually, with SDK beta 4, you can run the whole code in the emulator. You have to pay 100 bucks if you want to sign your app to be able to run it in a real iPhone, but the new SDK supports OpenGL ES right into the emulator, so you don't have to buy a real iPhone to test the engine ;)

Sherry Haibara
grafikrobot

Post by grafikrobot »

Has there been any progress on the iPhone port? I'm in the middle of an iPhone project and would like to know if I should go ahead and do a port myself or wait for something to show up publicly.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

I think varmint is too busy doing this ATM. But maybe try to catch him on IRC, or directly via his website...
I've also a quick-hacked opengl-es 1.x driver here which is working with Imagination's emulator pretty well. But I don't know anything about OSX development, so this is only half way.
grafikrobot

Post by grafikrobot »

hybrid wrote:I think varmint is too busy doing this ATM. But maybe try to catch him on IRC, or directly via his website...
I tried all those a while ago... And got no responses :-( Hence why i posted here publicly.
hybrid wrote:I've also a quick-hacked opengl-es 1.x driver here which is working with Imagination's emulator pretty well. But I don't know anything about OSX development, so this is only half way.
Well a starting point is better than nothing ;-) Any chance of sharing your code?
LeSnip3R

Post by LeSnip3R »

Hi there Irrlicht users ! :)

Looks like a port of Irrlicht to the iPhone is interesting some people.
I have been working on one myself, I've started to re-write:
- the COpenGLDriver -> COpenGLESDriver (this is the troublesome part so far)
- the COpenGLTexture -> COpenGLESTexture
- the COpenGLMaterialRenderer -> COpenGLESMaterialRenderer

and started to convert CIrrDeviceMacOSX to CIrrDeviceMobileMacOSX, along with some modification of the preprocessors statements to allow for the iPhone platform.

I'd be glad to help achieving this port ! :D
while( ![self asleep] ) {
Sheep* aSheep = [[Sheep alloc] init];
if( !aSheep )
[self destruct];
[meadow addSheep:aSheep];
[aSheep release];
}
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Try to concentrate on the device, I already have major parts of the ogl-es driver done. Also varmint told me he has some parts working. Please contact me by mail (find the adress on my webpage) to get access to the code.
grafikrobot

Post by grafikrobot »

First I have to thank hybrid for giving me the ogl-es code, some days ago. It's been most helpful. Second, I'm mostly done with the rough port to the iPhone. But as can be expected the real pain is the details. Of course the unfortunate part of this is that there's going to be code I wont be able to contribute until Apple lifts the NDA restrictions.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Which part is under NDA from Apple?
LeSnip3R

Post by LeSnip3R »

grafikrobot > I'm curious, did you port it using the official SDK ? Did you use EGL ?

(EDIT: as for the NDA, it applies only to Apple technology, not code you have produced yourself, I think)
if( !aSheep )
[self destruct];
[aSheep release];
}
grafikrobot

Post by grafikrobot »

The Apple SDK, and technologies are currently under NDA. The way the dev program agreement is written extends it to discussing the APIs and technologies. And hence showing code that uses their iPhone specific APIs is a suspect activity. Although a court would likely through out the agreements as they are rather ludicrous.

LeSnip3r: I'm doing both the FOSS (with the Apple tools just the FOSS headers) and Apple ports. I'm currently on the FOSS port seeing that the OS1->OS2 switch for my iPod is one way.
LeSnip3R

Post by LeSnip3R »

You might want to know that EGL is not available in the official SDK, in contrast with the FOSS toolchain.
In the dev center it says "the primary difference is that you’ll use the EAGL API to set up the window surface instead of an API such as CGL or AGL."

The new API makes it easier to set up a rendering surface and context but is less compatible with other platforms.
That might make it harder for the port, will it support both official and unofficial ?
if( !aSheep )
[self destruct];
[aSheep release];
}
grafikrobot

Post by grafikrobot »

LeSnip3R wrote:You might want to know that EGL is not available in the official SDK, in contrast with the FOSS toolchain.
In the dev center it says "the primary difference is that you’ll use the EAGL API to set up the window surface instead of an API such as CGL or AGL."

The new API makes it easier to set up a rendering surface and context but is less compatible with other platforms.
That might make it harder for the port, will it support both official and unofficial ?
Perhaps you missed it... I know that :-) Since I am in the iPhone beta program. I was only saying that I'm trying to support both toolchains... For the good of the FOSS world.
timmymorris91

Post by timmymorris91 »

why is everyone so excited about irrlicht on the iphone?
Australia doesn't even have iPhones yet
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Well not everyone sleeps with kangaroos :lol:

Cheers, your buddy from across the ditch.
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net