New Irrlicht Particle Affectors and Enhancements [BETA 2]

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Dark_Kilauea

Post by Dark_Kilauea »

That can be implemented with the color morph affector very easily.

set the material mode to Transparent_Add_Color and then create an array of 2 colors, one black and one the color you want. Then setup a time array with 2 values, 0 and the time you want the particle to be fully faded in. :)
rogerborg wrote:Every time someone learns to use a debugger, an angel gets their wings.
gbox

Post by gbox »

cool~

thanks

this is thing that I want :D
http://cafe.naver.com/jcga

professor of Jelabukdo Game Engine Academy
Dark_Kilauea

Post by Dark_Kilauea »

Finally got the Win32 demos uploaded again (you can stop plotting to kill me now :) )
rogerborg wrote:Every time someone learns to use a debugger, an angel gets their wings.
WorldSmith

Post by WorldSmith »

First off, great work dark kilauea! The flamethrower rocks!! Searched awhile for such a gem! :)

Anyway, I'm dreaming to get a Return To Castle Wolfenstein flamethrower working but alas, I found no way changing the textures of a single particle without writing an own implementation of a particle system. :?

Now the question to the master of particles is, would it be possible to create a MeshPlane, putting a texture animator over it and handling it over to a MeshEmitter?

Furthermore, I realize this thread wasn't updated awhile, are you still working on this fine piece of code artism? :P
Dark_Kilauea

Post by Dark_Kilauea »

Unfortunately, you would have to rewrite sections of the particle system scene node in order to do that. All of the geometry is generated and stored in a single meshbuffer, so multiple textures isn't really possible without a lot of changes to the particle system. Storage requirements could get rather outrageous too if each particle had it's own material, but I guess having each particle with it's own texture may be possible by storing an ITexture pointer in SParticle, but each change in texture would require a different draw call, making it very inefficient.

I haven't touched this enhancement for a while. My basic changes to the particle system are making it into Irrlicht 1.5, so I will release an update to go along with that. After 1.5 releases, the full package will be removed and I'll only offer the minimal package of external affectors.

I'm glad you found this useful though :)
WorldSmith

Post by WorldSmith »

Thank you, indeed useful! :)

Ay, I think rewriting the system would be awkward.

Hmm, good point what you say. Brings up an idea of chaining multiple particle systems with each other, all having different textures. Can't wait to get home and try this out. I'll give you hint if I find a reasonable solution to my fierce flame thrower. :twisted:

And thanks for the inspiration! :)
Frank Dodd

Post by Frank Dodd »

Thanks very much for these Dark Kilauea, I spotted this quite late in my dev cycle but managed to squeeze the Color and Spline Affectors into my Irrlicht Wrapper. They look great!

Top Job.
Sundar

irrlicht 1.5?

Post by Sundar »

Any updates to make it work with 1.5?
Cloudef

Post by Cloudef »

How about mangent and avoid affectors?
Mangent would drag the particles close and avoid affector would make the particles avoid the affector.
When these are combined in scene, you can get pretty nifty effects!
netpipe

heyo

Post by netpipe »

the links are broken ;)
3D Ace

Post by 3D Ace »

If u want it you can get it in IrrExt. Make a search for that. :)
Everything is possible, IF you know how.
Checkout my website for my upcoming game.(Currently on hold!)
http://www.projectbattle360.webege.com