irrSimplePhysics v0.002 - Simple Class for SceneNode Physics

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
3DModelerMan

Affector?

Post by 3DModelerMan »

Isn't this for nodes? I thought affectors were for particles. Why not an animator?
That would be illogical captain...

My first full game:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/3DModel ... tor#tipjar
arras

Post by arras »

Isn't this for nodes? I thought affectors were for particles. Why not an animator?
Right, animator, not affector.
fmx

Post by fmx »

hmmm
thanks for all your opinions, I think I know where I'm going with this now.

Irrlicht simplicity >>> Physics-API familiarity

That should be the defining slogan of this "project", and so its going to morph into an Animator or something just as daftly simple.

Update on its way ;)
geckoman

Post by geckoman »

Yeeha :D
fmx

Post by fmx »

I just updated the first post with the latest version of irrSimplePhysics v0.002 (link: http://www.mediafire.com/?mxyyy3tthhi )

its NOT an Animator, just a cleaned up Class that I was half-way through before I decided to make an animator from it.
I'm thinking of keeping the Class and instead providing additional Animator functions too, best of both worlds ;)

if anyone tries it then please do leave some feedback!
3DModelerMan

time

Post by 3DModelerMan »

Does this have time based movement?

My first full game:
fmx

Post by fmx »

its supposed to be fps-independant, but I think it might be messed up actually :oops:
I just figured out how to achieve TRUE fps-independance for physics (you'd think i would have know it already >_>) and why PhysX code has a different mechanism for invoking its update-function.

but anyway
give it a try and see how it works for you. I'll be updating this in a day or two anyway, so I'll add your requests and fixes etc, too.

What kind of physics do you need for your game?
Characters, vehicles, projectiles, terrains...?
maybe I could tailor it specifically for your game first, then branch it out later to make it more "generic" ;)

btw
geckoman / trivtn / others : what about you guys? what kind of physics do you require for your games?
3DModelerMan

collision

Post by 3DModelerMan »

I only really need time what you have here but true frame reate independent. And collision detection.

My first full game:
sudi

Re: collision

Post by sudi »

3DModelerMan wrote:I only really need time what you have here but true frame reate independent. And collision detection.
Use a physic engine. like newton/bullet/PhysX
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
fmx

Post by fmx »

collision-detection might be a pain.
Sudi's right, don't give up trying real physics-engines until you find something which works :)
(ie, use this as a last resort, or PM me and i'll try find out why something isn't working for you)

have you tried Newton? IMO its by far the easiest and simplest Physics-engines to get going with Irrlicht.
Pyritie

Post by Pyritie »

Noooo, this thingy is lovely :D
Hive Workshop | deviantART

I've moved to Ogre.
geckoman

Post by geckoman »

I need either a simple leightweight physics-engine that is capable of doing some explosion thing
or
something like irrphysx to get the extra-speed from hardware-using, but I'd prefer leightweight, as it's less work for me :D
JP

Post by JP »

What do you mean by lightweight and why does it need to be lightweight? Not that i'm trying to force you to use IrrPhysx or anything, just curious!
Image Image Image
geckoman

Post by geckoman »

By lightweight I mean, as fast as possible, without much overhead so that my game runs really fast on older computers
AND
I mean very easy to use and hopefully not much time needed to implement.

But as I said before, if I don't find such a thing, I will very likely use irrphysx :D
JP

Post by JP »

Hmm well physics calcs are often quite expensive.. i don't know if FMX's calcs are quicker than Physx or not but I'm guessing he might not have the same accuracy and complexity as Physx provides in their calculations. Have you tried IrrPhysx on any old computers to see how it runs?
Image Image Image