[HELP WANTED] Front Warrior - team-based action FPS

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

I want to help, I am devsh from PNS and I have lots of experience on graphics.

Things that could be use to your game (in order I would implement them):

-parallax occlusion mapping
-atmospheric scattering (ATMOsphere, nice sun)
-HDR
-Dynamic Lighting
-Phong Tesselation for SM4.0 cards
-Sun shadows
-Dynamic Procedural Clouds
-Countless planes of grass (using geometry instancing on SM4.0 to get more grass)
-Wind swaying grass and animation using point-light average-movement interaction technique
-Deferred Rendering
-Godrays
-SSAO
-I'd make/improve some models. Especially trees.
-Global illumination
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Hey I think it would be a great idea if devsh worked with Eigen. This could turn out to be an even more amazing project.

I hope they can get along though... :P
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

the fact that it kept up for so long and it has actual screenies means that we could make it.
slavik262

Post by slavik262 »

devsh wrote:I want to help, I am devsh from PNS and I have lots of experience on graphics.

Things that could be use to your game (in order I would implement them):

-parallax occlusion mapping
-atmospheric scattering (ATMOsphere, nice sun)
-HDR
-Dynamic Lighting
-Phong Tesselation for SM4.0 cards
-Sun shadows
-Dynamic Procedural Clouds
-Countless planes of grass (using geometry instancing on SM4.0 to get more grass)
-Wind swaying grass and animation using point-light average-movement interaction technique
-Deferred Rendering
-Godrays
-SSAO
-I'd make/improve some models. Especially trees.
-Global illumination
First make it playable and stable, then add eye candy. :P
I've seen too many a project start off awesome, but then the team would focus on making new models and effects instead of actually integrating them into the game. The assets all looked amazing, but the game never got done.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

it would be nice if i didnt have to wait a week for a response
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

impatience is lame.
First make it playable and stable, then add eye candy.
Incase you missed, oh i dunno the whole thread - Its already far past non-eye candy emo complaints.

Good luck Eigen! this will be a great game if your team can work together and not be selfish etc.

[/quote]
Eigen
Competition winner

Post by Eigen »

Thanks guys! :)

Now the team consists of handsome and talented me, cool and masterly tecan and Windows-bashing-Linux-loving-shader(GLSL)-writing-guy devsh. Any artist who feels like joining, can contact me.
Eigen
Competition winner

Re: [HELP WANTED] Front Warrior - team-based action FPS

Post by Eigen »

Hey guys.

I wanted to post some of the more recent screenshots.

The reason I'm doing this is, and I'm really sad to say that, but most likely I'll stop working on the game because it's just too big for me and I haven't had much time recently. Even if I have a day off or whatever I just can't find the motivation anymore. After all, I first started work on it back in 2008 I think.
I'm still venturing the game-development world and I'm working on some other smaller projects (more of a casual style) and I hope to do some games for the mobile market as well.
But, all is not lost. I'm hoping these screenshots spark the interest of some individual(s) that would be willing to take the project over. I wouldn't want to see it die off, it's my baby after all :)
There are some features I'll still complete on my own and after that I'll commit the latest code to the Googlecode project and hand it over to anyone willing to continue. Parts of it should probably be re-written completely (the .irr level loading and object setup is a mess).
If you think you'd be willing to do so, let me know and we'll discuss the details. If you just started with Irrlicht and have little to no experience, don't bother.

Kind of sad but that's how things turn out sometimes :(
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

Yeah, so sad indeed. I was really happy with your progress so far. :(

But, every end is a new beginning they say... :wink:
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."
teto

Post by teto »

It's hard to find someone to takeover a stranger project when this project is not known yet. Maybe you should let this project aside for a while and come back to it later, say in a semester or so. No one can always keep his motivation up.

Good job
Using trunk with mingw/gcc 4.6, Windows 7 64 bits driver opengl
Eigen
Competition winner

Post by Eigen »

teto wrote:It's hard to find someone to takeover a stranger project when this project is not known yet. Maybe you should let this project aside for a while and come back to it later, say in a semester or so. No one can always keep his motivation up.

Good job
Thanks for the heads up. The thing is that the project has been idling for over half a year now, so it's kind of unlikely I'd resume active work on it. Who knows, of course. Perhaps once I complete the parts I want to write before releasing it my motivation is back .. but I doubt that, very much.
hendu

Post by hendu »

It's been advancing nicely in all the new shots you've posted. What were your original goals with it? An indie release or something else?

Is there much missing from that goal? Perhaps you could finish it, start earning some passive income, and go to other projects then ;)
Eigen
Competition winner

Post by Eigen »

I didn't really have a goal other than to complete it, really. I have no idea what I would've done with it once it's done. I guess I was thinking of selling a few copies or whatever. I only knew I had to complete the programming and then focus on the art, but being an visual person I kept tinkering with unnecessary details rather than the big picture. That's probably the reason it wasn't progressing as well as I'd hoped. Rather than program some new AI routine I was spending hours on modeling some cliff or adjusting textures, even though I knew that most of it would be replaced for the final release. Perfectionist? Go figure..
Burns

Post by Burns »

there any demo of the game? to download?
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

there is some sort of a playable thing in the SVN... doesn't quite work on linux but on windows there are like 6 decent looking levels.
ATM all you can do is walk around, shoot at things, see the decals and have your squad follow you.