Goin into Gaming Industry...

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

Again, degree are ONE GOOD WAY. You can also have a strong portfolio (always good, no matter which path, mind you) and/or enter from another door, like QA. Seriously, go on the IGDA forums. This topic has been discussed time and again...
Ravi08

Post by Ravi08 »

Again thanks for all ur help and just to clarify wen i said degree i meant a degree at uni which i dont know wat the equivalent is in other countries
FreakNigh

Post by FreakNigh »

You'll need to learn opengl and/or directx, but as far as your serious game demo's go you also have to prove that you aren't a stupid programmer who prefers taking the hard route because of ego (and stupidity). A real programmer always codes code that is quickest to write and is easiest to build upon that meets all of the requirements (such as speed, memory usage, load time etc). But almost always the most important things are how fast you can code it (therefor how well you can find and utilize libraries such as irrlicht) and how easily it can't be built upon (which is just another form of coding faster and reducing debugging time). Normally those two things always trump code efficiency speed etc unless it is critical main loop code especially time to code as you are trying to meet the demands of a childlike public who thinks games grow as easy as apples. Plus the faster you code the quicker you'll get to satisfying results which will help keep you motivated.

Also I would recommend taking on something like a super small scale mmorpg as it has the ability to give you skills in databasing, udp and tcp, rendering, cosmetics, AI etc. And ya make sure you finish it, expect many months of work and just accept that.

CvIrrCamController - 3D head tracking lib to create window effect with webcam
IrrAR - Attach Irrlicht nodes to real life markers
http://www.nighsoft.com/
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

I also recommend getting a spell-checker and learn to write proper English rather than SMS slang, that way each time you write something you'll get better at writing.

Also, I wouldn't recommend writing an MMO!
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
FreakNigh

Post by FreakNigh »

Come on we're all drinking the fluoride water (if your in the USA atleast). We can't all be expected to have perfect grammar anymore lol. Forgive us we know not what we drink.

CvIrrCamController - 3D head tracking lib to create window effect with webcam
IrrAR - Attach Irrlicht nodes to real life markers
http://www.nighsoft.com/
Josie

Post by Josie »

bitplane wrote:I also recommend getting a spell-checker and learn to write proper English rather than SMS slang, that way each time you write something you'll get better at writing.

Also, I wouldn't recommend writing an MMO!
Bitplane is absolutely right (as usual). Learning to write in clear and proper English no matter what medium you're using to communicate will have quite the impact on your future employer's opinion of you. Most employers will throw out applications with major grammatical errors.

A word of wisdom.
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

That is true for any language, mind you, but count your blessings if you're an english speaker in an english speaking country. Somewhere where the language is other, it is standard to expect fluency and good grammar both in the native language AND english ;)
Ravi08

Post by Ravi08 »

Dorth wrote:Somewhere where the language is other, it is standard to expect fluency and good grammar both in the native language AND english ;)
I think other languages should be gone, sooner or l8er the english language will dominate everywhere :P

PS thanks for all ur input :)
DeM0nFiRe

Post by DeM0nFiRe »

Ravi08 wrote: ...l8er...
...ur...
Haha, that's what people are talking about. Now, breaking things down into smaller things is generally accepted, and it's called abbreviations. You are not allowed to abbreviate possessive adjectives and the like, however :p.

It also looks particularly bad when you shorten your to ur, because it's only 2 letters shorter! or l8er which is one shorter! I think you should start practicing now to make sure that you can spell out all of your words, and that you can use some proper punctuation and such. (I actually have a spell checker built in to my browser :) )

By the way, English will not be the world language. C/C++ will be when robots take over :D
Ravi08

Post by Ravi08 »

DeM0nFiRe wrote: Haha, that's what people are talking about. Now, breaking things down into smaller things is generally accepted, and it's called abbreviations. You are not allowed to abbreviate possessive adjectives and the like,
I know how to write proper english and yes i know "l8er" etc isnt proper english but i feel its acceptable in forums and i dont use inproper language within formal documents.
DeM0nFiRe wrote:By the way, English will not be the world language. C/C++ will be when robots take over
lol :D
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

By the way, English will not be the world language. C/C++ will be when robots take over
I have to disagree with this. Robots speak in 010100010101010010001 language!
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

Ravi08 wrote:I know how to write proper english and yes i know "l8er" etc isnt proper english but i feel its acceptable in forums and i dont use inproper language within formal documents.
I know how to write proper english and, yes, I know "l8er", etc. ( Dorth : etc. with only one example stated? ) aren't proper english, yet I feel those are acceptable in forums. As such, I don't use those while writing or editing formal documents, where I'd use the appropriate language.

Any person mistreating his own language loses the right to claim it over others.