[ON HOLD] Updates on the FIRST-KING PROJECT

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
ZCCdark203

Post by ZCCdark203 »

It's great to see that this project is progressing. Okay, maybe progress is slow, but at least there is progress. Keep it up! ;)

Also, it's nice to see that you're still considering to use Sirrf for The First King. If you need help or if you need a specific feature, feel free to contact me. That way I can maybe even contribute something to your project. Because honestly, I wouldn't dare to join such project as a full-time developer. Mostly because I can't guarantee commitment and the possession of adequate experience.
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

Hi, ZCCdark203. Thanks. Yes, I think SirrF hold a great potential and will be useful for this project.

As for team member I do not require full time (will never ask for this as this is complete nonsense!). The only thing I require is that if you work in the team you tell the team, when you work on the project and when you are busy with other stuff. (That can easily done on the First King forum)

Since it's a open source project, it would be complete nonsense to ask anyone to work on that full time!!
ZCCdark203

Post by ZCCdark203 »

My bad. I should have chosen a different word than "full-time"; maybe "active" is a better word. But it comes down to the fact that I'm just unable to embark on new big projects at the moment. ;)

Still, I'll keep track of this project.
tomtetlaw

Post by tomtetlaw »

I'd be able to help with the coding of the engine/editor :) I have experience in 3D games programming, and I've done A few projects with the DarkGDK 3D Game engine and I know a bit about the Irrlicht engine.
#1 Most Common Error:
Reality Error: Object behind keyboard cannot program.
christianclavet

Hi, tomtetlaw

Sorry for responding late. I'm currently busy on 2 projects. A commercial game project (IPhone game, as a modeler), and working as a technical director on a student game project at Campus Ubisoft. Barely the time to check the forum.

Please contact me on my email or leave me PM, I could discuss this with you in more details.

The current progress on the code, is that I rebuilded the code from the SirrF framework and the interface GUI is all there. Need to process the events but didnt have time to check it. Still a little confusion how to get the GUI events from the framework. We need the "core" of the editor working properly before going on things with the modules.
christianclavet

Hi, I decided to put "The First King" Projet on a HOLD status.

I was not able to put the editor prototype in a working state as I would liked it to be. I was too much for the little knowledge I had of C++.

The project is not dead, I'm just putting it on the side for an undertermined period, so I could put time only to learn more and experiment before going back at it.

In september worked with the SIRRF framework, but I'm still waiting for more info about this, I'm mostly confused with it now and can't progress until the guys release 0.30. I think SirrF will have the things needed to make the game and editor work as I would. But I need some tutorials and explained concepts and example to learn it. I'll wait for them to be ready.

I was hired as technical director on a school project in september and had to "mod" the source engine (Half Life, Valve). So this gave me an opportunity to learn more. I have learned some new tricks (base knowledge of C++ as inheritance, and the static and virtual keyword meaning). That helped me a lot understanding the IRRlicht source code.

So now I decided to tackles little things (and have little success) than going thru this big project NOW and have a big failure.

Since 2 week ago, I was able to fix by myself a non-implemented feature in the IRRlicht source (non implemented accent support for keyboard), created custom skins for IRRLicht and fixed some details on the AVI player (Acki), I can now "scrub" the video with the player , still have to fix an audio issue, and when I resume from pause. I was able to compile examples of WXwidget that was sent on the forum in the snippet code. Not that bad for the moment.

Right now I'll check to create something WITHOUT the Sirff framework until I'm able to understand it, and experiment with GUI, interfaces and skins (for the FK Editor). I want to be able to create a "cutscene" editor, as moving the camera on a path, move nodes, etc. And play them back at a specified rate. (some kind of timeline slider). So doing it in small steps and learn along the way. So my current efforts will be on the GUI and time functions. (as recording every nodes movements and playing it back).
yamashi

Post by yamashi »

If you want, I can send you my Paged terrain system, it supports terrain editing and texture splatting. But I use bullet (just a few stuff to change though).
christianclavet

Thanks Yamashi.

I would love to learn how you coded that.
ZCCdark203

Post by ZCCdark203 »

christianclavet wrote:In september worked with the SIRRF framework, but I'm still waiting for more info about this, I'm mostly confused with it now and can't progress until the guys release 0.30.
It's a shame to hear that Sirrf is confusing you. Would you mind if we discuss the issues you have/had with Sirrf? Without proper feedback it will be a lot harder for us, the developers of Sirrf, to improve it.
christianclavet

Blame me for this :oops: . My C++ Skill are on the beginner level. I just got more documentation on C++ now that will help me grab more of C++ base concepts (Still, templates, "dynamic_cast" and stuff like that still confuse me a lot). Hope to understand more soon.

As I've typed, SirrF right now is confusing me because all of the cool stuff you put in but almost no documentation about it and no demo. You said that will be fixed in the 0.30 release. Then I'll be very happy to see how you use thoses nice features. Looking only at the code right now I can't comprehen how to use it. With my current C++ skill level, I need examples to show me how to use something.

I hope that you have something really easy to get the events.. (How to get the event receiver and still use your event system?) Tried to implement it myself to get the GUI events, but I was not able to get the event receiver.

That was good for me because it showed me that I need to learn more if I want to proceed with "The First King", the main reason I put the projet "on hold". I'm really not good enough in C++ coding right now to work on a FPS Game with editor by myself alone.