Direct3d11-Irrlicht

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

I was not complaining REVAN1985. I'm assuming that this will take a LOT of time to be done and I wish you good luck!

I would love to have this driver when I will switch to DX11. Will surely happen at the same time I switch my Vista to Windows 7.
i'm programming with dx10 from the release...
What do you mean by that? You have programmed things with IRRlicht in DX10?
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

christianclavet wrote:Any news about OpenGL? (3.2 is out, If I remember well)
I will release OGL 3.0 FR (so similar to DX10 fixed function pipeline is remove and replace by shaders) soon :)
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
Revan1985

Post by Revan1985 »

christianclavet wrote:I was not complaining REVAN1985. I'm assuming that this will take a LOT of time to be done and I wish you good luck!

I would love to have this driver when I will switch to DX11. Will surely happen at the same time I switch my Vista to Windows 7.
Lol, ok...
christianclavet wrote: What do you mean by that? You have programmed things with IRRlicht in DX10?
i'm using it from it's first release, also if with "lost time"... [i don't know how say "tempo perso" in english :P]
CPU: AMD PHENOMII X6 1090T BE 3,2GHZ
RAM : OCZ 8GB 2*4GB DDR3 LOW VOLTAGE 1333
VGA: GeForce GTX680 2GB
HD : 500GB + 500GB + 2x1TB Raid Edition + 500GB External
Motherboard: ASUS CROSSHAIR FORMULA 4 890FX AM3
PSU: Corsair 750W
CPU Cooling: Katana 2
sio2
Competition winner

Post by sio2 »

cwick wrote:
sio2 wrote:I'm curious: how will you handle the fact that there's no fixed function and all rendering is done via programmable shaders?
IIRC the directx documentation has some sample code for emulating a fixed function pipeline. Basically you have to re-implement the fixed function parts you need in high level shader code, which is compiled on-the-fly
My question was a rhetorical one in order to gauge how much the OP knew about the subject at hand.

Spintz's 3Demon engine - based off Irrlicht - already has a basic DX10 driver. I have a DX10 demo on my website that uses it. I also contributed the beginnings of a shader system to replace the fixed function pipeline.
erwincoumans

Post by erwincoumans »

sio2 wrote: Spintz's 3Demon engine - based off Irrlicht - already has a basic DX10 driver.
Why hasn't this work been integrated back into Irrlicht?

D3D10/11 support with deferred rendering etc. would be great. Hybrid posted this blog posting about DX10 back in 2006, but nowadays DX10 and DX11 hardware is available, and Windows 7 supports it. Is anyone of the core Irrlicht developers working on this?
Nadro wrote: I will release OGL 3.0 FR (so similar to DX10 fixed function pipeline is remove and replace by shaders) soon
Any news on this? Will it be available before Christmas this year?

Cheers,
Erwin
Last edited by erwincoumans on Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

Hi Erwin,
Maybe not before a Christmas, but I will probably release OpenGL 3.x FR driver in first half of January 2010.
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

what is the might openGL FR??
sRc

Post by sRc »

erwincoumans wrote:
sio2 wrote: Spintz's 3Demon engine - based off Irrlicht - already has a basic DX10 driver.
Why hasn't this work been integrated back into Irrlicht?

D3D10/11 support with deferred rendering etc. would be great. Hybrid posted this blog posting about DX10 back in 2006, but nowadays DX10 and DX11 hardware is available, and Windows 7 supports it. Is anyone of the core Irrlicht developers working on this?
hybrid did that, eh? :lol:

but the point in that entry still applies. a hacked together frame doesnt belong in irrlicht, it has to be properly done. and before it can be done, there are features that it would rely on that still need to be coded into the engine (like FP textures). anything else does nothing good for anyone and horrible things to the code base
The Bard sRc

Blog | Twitter
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

devsh wrote:what is the might openGL FR??
FR - Forward, so forward compatible ;)
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

There's no point in upgrading Irrlicht to newer versions of OpenGL or Direct3D without fixing the main underlying issues that are preventing us from fully utilizing OpenGL 2.0 and Direct3D9.

If we are only using 50% of the features available to us in Direct3D9 then what is the point of upgrading to Direct3D10?
D3D10/11 support with deferred rendering etc. would be great.
What does D3D10/11 have to do with deferred rendering? You can do deferred rendering without modifying Irrlicht now if you have a bit of shader skill.

I think that if we update to Direct 3D 10/11 everyone will realise that everything still looks exactly the same from the outside and you still need to write shaders and graphics routines to get a nice look.

You have to be more precise with what you want, is it a marketing term or a specific feature that enhances the graphics? Most of the important changes made to D3D10 were things like code design and multithreading. Things that make it easy for the low level developer, but if you're an Irrlicht user than it won't make a difference, all the drivers have the same interface!

Things like geometry shaders and the SM 4.0 model are not really used, geometry shaders flopped and SM 3.0 already has a gigantic instruction count and if you need the amount that SM 4.0 is offering than it probably won't run that well (Or take ages to compile).

So in the end even if D3D10 was implemented it won't make a single difference to the end user unless we specifically add things that would make those features easy to use.

I have to ask why. What benefit does it give to the end user given the current level of support for already implemented APIs and exposed features?
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

true!
Quote:
D3D10/11 support with deferred rendering etc. would be great.

What does D3D10/11 have to do with deferred rendering? You can do deferred rendering without modifying Irrlicht now if you have a bit of shader skill.
*applauds hybrid*

yes me and nadro did deferred rendering, and my current project are all deferred rendering, under OpenGL my dear. All you need is MRT and possibly FPT
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Oh thanks, but what for?
erwincoumans

Post by erwincoumans »

We are developing support for GPU accelerated Bullet physics using OpenCL and Compute Shaders.

OpenCL works fine with Irrlicht, but Compute Shaders require a DX11 pipeline. It would be nice if Irrlicht supports this at some stage. If the plans are still years off, we have to look for another solution.

Cheers,
Erwin
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

Another thing to take into account is last time the forum had discussions about Dx10, people fled from Vista like an std. Now, with the current Win 7 adoption rate, it's at least worth looking at the topic since there's a chance a proper amount of user will be able to use features develloped for either Dx10 or 11
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

erwin.. omg you do openCL too!!!

im doing that and its a pain in the ass