4X Interactive: Looking for people to help with 4X game.

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Did you miss my hint in your original posting in Beginner's forum? This post is not correct, concerning the requirements of project postings in this forum. Now you have to fill in the missing information (screenshots/sketches, game design documents etc) within a few days, if not hours. Otherwise, we'll gonna remove this posting.
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

Why do you assume he has 0 skills? and why you say that others are doing work for him ?
Because if he did, he would have something more to show other than just a few ideas thrown around.

As a programmer, I would only execute someone else's ideas if I was paid to. Tell any half decent programmer you have a brilliant game idea and you want him to execute it for you for free, without you contributing nothing other than ideas. In addition to that you have no previous experience as game designer of any sort.
The answer will be a straight "no".
In addition he's asking for someone with "great irrlicht" skills, so that would be a bit more than "half-decent" programmer.
It's a non paid project and everyone that goes into team understands that he does this for himself either to improve his skills or to check what he is capable of.
And wouldn't it be much better if it was made using your idea, and leading your own project ? That way you could set your own boundaries and goals and not those set by whoever is above you, which in this case is someone that I suspect has no previous experience in game design (or anything else game development related for that matter) whatsoever.
And Why would anyone sacrifice their time to execute any idea?
Better question would be: Why do someone else's idea, instead of executing your own ?
There are multiple answers for that, some of them are above in this post.
If you are actually asking why should anyone execute any idea, then I don't know what you are doing in a game development related forum.
And Why not? if you think that the idea is attractive and you think that you could help somehow or even bring that idea to life, why not give it a try?
Because the time and effort spent on someone else's idea and project could spent on your own ideas and projects, that's what I said above once again. If you were the evil kinda guy you could even use his idea and make your own game based on the few ideas he threw in his initial post. :twisted:
Even if a project would become a failure it would still leave some positive marks for everyone that was involved into it.
Sure, but that could apply to either if it was his idea or your own. Actually you'd learn a whole lot more if it was your project and idea.
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

Ok Ok lets stop 'Spamming' this thread with endless argues and wait till he brings us something new :)
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
booe

Re: 4X Interactive: Looking for people to help with 4X game.

Post by booe »

galaxy366 wrote: i am searching for people that know how Irrlicht works.
OH, I KNOW!!! I KNOW!!! PICK ME!!! ME!!! OH, PICK ME!! I KNOW!!! ME, ME, ME!!!!
galaxy366

Post by galaxy366 »

I have some experience with photoshop / simple concepts but no codding etc
i can also not pay people, because i am 16 :P so that is to far for me now.

I do have code blocks installed with irrlicht 1.7.1
what i first wanted to make where some prototypes of controls / planetary orbit etc.

My thing is i want it to be free, so people can enjoy a cool game without paying, free 2 play.

look i know that this is a bad impression, but i always wanted to make a cool game, but because i have no skills that will be hard.

last thing, i also want to have a team that want to help but also can teach me coding and so on :D.
A Space RTS? why not!
galaxy366

Post by galaxy366 »

@hybrid i will do this straid away :)
A Space RTS? why not!
B@z

Post by B@z »

Founded in 2010, 4X Interactive is planing to make a 4X RTS game

List of people & skills for joining
- Sound artist 0/2
- Programmer 0/3
- Art Direction 0/1
- Project lead 1/1
- Concept artist 0/4
- Dedicated texture artist 0/2
- Level designer 0/3
- FX artist 0/2

Required skills
-Strong and analytic level design skills
-Must have solid understanding of game play scripting and/or programming
-Ability to learn fast, take initiative with assigned tasks and follow through creative and technical troubleshooting
-Strong communication skills
-Solid understanding of C++.

Bonus skills
-Preferred working with 3D max or Maya etc.
-Experience working with Irrlicht or other game authoring packages.
-Experience working with Agile production teams.
-Experience with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator etc.
-Good sense of humor.
so he is the project leader, does nothing else than saying: MAKE MEH A GAME! ? no thanks.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

galaxy366 wrote:last thing, i also want to have a team that want to help but also can teach me coding and so on :D.
from my own experience, team up with your close friends or classmates may be better.
Eigen
Competition winner

Post by Eigen »

Virion wrote:from my own experience, team up with your close friends or classmates may be better.
Yeah, when they bail out, you know where they live and can go throw eggs at their house.

jk.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

Eigen wrote:
Virion wrote:from my own experience, team up with your close friends or classmates may be better.
Yeah, when they bail out, you know where they live and can go throw eggs at their house.

jk.
*thumb* +1 :lol: :lol: :lol:

if you do not have experience in coding yet you should use engines like unity or udk (or even use 2d instead of 3d) to quickly build a proff-of-concept demo. focus on the game design instead of technical approach, if you're heading to that direction (game design).
galaxy366

Post by galaxy366 »

ok :), i dont know if this topic will stay up because i have no doc or concept yet, is there not a place where you can post game ideas? without showing work? :D
A Space RTS? why not!
Acki

Post by Acki »

galaxy366 wrote:i have no doc or concept yet
:roflmao:
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

Look, I learned how to code, how to make 3d models, sprites, etc.. because I wanted to turn my ideas into something real.

Just do the same.

You'll have to start small but hopefully someday you'll be able to do what you want. Of one thing I'm sure, you are not going to find anyone to make your game, either in this forum or in any other place. You are only going to be mocked.

Grab a C++ book for beginners and start doing small games or experiences with Irrlicht, I'm sure someday you'll be able to do everything you plan on doing. :)
galaxy366

Post by galaxy366 »

thanks :D, i know i am a newbie but i just wanted this, but thanks for all the support :D
A Space RTS? why not!
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

If you are going to start to learn game programming don't try to do anything big in irrlicht, I mean it.
Irrlicht is really simple to use but if you don't understand c++ good, it's going to be a nightmare.
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).