Easiest programming language for irrLicht (beginners )

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.

Easiest programming language (for my project = game)??

C++
77%
LUA
5%
Pascal
No votes
Other programming language (post wich one after choosing this option)
18%

Total votes: 22

macron12388

Post by macron12388 »

I DUNNO' WHAT YOU FOO'S TALKIN' 'BOUT, THISA C++ vs C CRAP, I'LL STICK WITH MY Intel i7 MACHINE LANGUAGE THANK YOU VERY MUCH

[Edited for annoying font size. I hope I didn't offend my Irrlicht forum elders.]
Last edited by macron12388 on Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
slavik262

Post by slavik262 »

What the hell? Stop being intentionally obnoxious. Caps lock is cruise control for cool, but you still have to steer. The ridiculous font size would also fall under this category.

For the record, i7 processors don't have their own instruction set. They're x86-64 processors.
macron12388

Post by macron12388 »

slavik262 wrote:What the hell? Stop being intentionally obnoxious. Caps lock is cruise control for cool, but you still have to steer. The ridiculous font size would also fall under this category.

For the record, i7 processors don't have their own instruction set. They're x86-64 processors.
Ok, that's good.
wahagn

Post by wahagn »

I have made a poll of this question becuase there were a lot of different opinions on this, I would apreciate it if you would do the poll and chose!
“Any code of your own that you haven’t looked at for six or more months might as well have been written by someone else.”
(Eagleson’s Law)
greenya

Post by greenya »

Other programming language (post wich one after choosing this option)
C# is easiest for me.

But if you don't know any language, better learn C++. After this one, any other language is peace of cake :)
fritzgryphon

Post by fritzgryphon »

^This

C# with a hand-holding IDE.

If you're a kid wanting to make a game, you just want it to work, and have fun while you learn.

Your program isn't going to be heavy, so it doesn't need to be 'close to the hardware'. 99% of your program's inefficiency will be from your algorithm, anyway.
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

@wahagn
First of all LUA is not programming language, but it could be used to make some game scripting environment.

What you should do is learn any possible language like Pascal,c,c++,php, or anything similar.
When you have learnt and you know yourself that you're comfortable with the programming language you learnt, you can dig into making 'games'.

And, no, not games like World of warcraft, or quake/counterstrike, these were made I assume by professional programmers. In order to make a game like that you have to have some experience.

Even a simple FPS is an overhead for a first game project, unless you call a game just a mess of code that runs slow, crashes, or even doesn't run.

So go learn the language of your choice, get comfortable with it, if you'll learn one programming language you'll know them all :wink:

And don't ignore this post just because it breaks up your optimistic idea that you can actually make a game just like that, its not that simple.
Ive been writting some small windows apps, console apps, experimenting with irrlicht, creating some web pages, but I still haven't made a game that would work properly( I guess I could make a pong remake, or tic tac toes, but...). Take your time and learn what you need.
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

i cast my vote on c#. what can i say - its easy and powerful language. however issues might arise if wrapper that was used lacks certain things, then newcommer would be left to implement those himself (and that may prove difficult sometimes).
Sir_Hans

Post by Sir_Hans »

I voted for C++ but C# is also a good choice I like both.

Btw how can I say I write just in C? I use MVC/C++ Studio and there I can only compile both together.
codydbgt

Post by codydbgt »

i was thing of making a dll for game maker or mabe a dll so game maker could use the it like c++ since game maker only can load functions and all that complicated stuff can be done in the first dll i was close to getting a rendered version in game maker but you would only be calling what was made already and it would be more of a game editor. but ya thats what i think i would do it but i dont think any one would help me :( but im making a hl2 source engine port in irrlicht at the moment so ya. hoped i made a point. :wink:
HELLO LIKE TF2 THEN COME JOIN OUR SERVER GO TO http://steamcommunity.com/groups/TF2BMS ENJOY- multi sentry and 50+ mods- and i like to program!
wahagn

Post by wahagn »

codydbgt wrote:i was thing of making a dll for game maker or mabe a dll so game maker could use the it like c++ since game maker only can load functions and all that complicated stuff can be done in the first dll i was close to getting a rendered version in game maker but you would only be calling what was made already and it would be more of a game editor. but ya thats what i think i would do it but i dont think any one would help me :( but im making a hl2 source engine port in irrlicht at the moment so ya. hoped i made a point. :wink:
What has this to do with your question? :? I'm asking you wich programming language is for you the easiest and you talk about making a dll for game maker :?: :!:
“Any code of your own that you haven’t looked at for six or more months might as well have been written by someone else.”
(Eagleson’s Law)
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

@wahagn, if you're not up to learning any programming language than all you have left is tools like game maker, fps creator ect.

I would stick to c++, unless you want to use wrappers which lack of functionallity, have weird bugs ect...

Tough c++ is not so easy to learn for a starting programmer, but once you learn c++, all of other languages will be more easy to learn.

I have programmed with c++ for about a year or more, and now I started to look at webside programming, designing, php looks so much the same as c++, that I learnt all php basics in less than one day.
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
wahagn

Post by wahagn »

serengeor wrote:@wahagn, if you're not up to learning any programming language than all you have left is tools like game maker, fps creator ect.

I would stick to c++, unless you want to use wrappers which lack of functionallity, have weird bugs ect...

Tough c++ is not so easy to learn for a starting programmer, but once you learn c++, all of other languages will be more easy to learn.

I have programmed with c++ for about a year or more, and now I started to look at webside programming, designing, php looks so much the same as c++, that I learnt all php basics in less than one day.

Yes, now I also think that it will be better to use c++, by the way i came on this question because i saw a simple fps game on the net wich was made with irrlicht and LUA. I've posted this fps a time ago on the forum. If somone wants to knwo where i'm talking about : http://www.brothersoft.com/games/ares-fps.html
(Eagleson’s Law)