Irrlicht mascot: Fairy, Dwarf or something else?

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...

Irrlicht's mascot should be...

somekind of a Fairy
62%
somekind of a Dwarf/Viking
19%
other (post your opinion)
19%

Total votes: 42

Kalango

Post by Kalango »

Would be cool if the model had some stuff representing features in irrlicht. Like animated textures, per pixel lighting, halos and billboards, skeletal animation, particles, transparency, maybe shaders....
Oh and a robot fairy culd look cool, at least that one posted in another thread looked...
ent1ty
Competition winner

Post by ent1ty »

Kalango wrote:Would be cool if the model had some stuff representing features in irrlicht. Like animated textures, per pixel lighting, halos and billboards, skeletal animation, particles, transparency, maybe shaders....
Now you are mixing model and rendering techniques :wink:
irrRenderer 1.0
Height2Normal v. 2.1 - convert height maps to normal maps

Step back! I have a void pointer, and I'm not afraid to use it!
Kalango

Post by Kalango »

yes i know.
I mean, not that the model will have all that stuff, but at least some cool looking texture animated wings like the one of that fat guy in Naruto when he eats those pills...
But AT LEAST some good skeletal animation huh ;)
randomMesh

Post by randomMesh »

Something like this
The 8 inch remains complete with wings, skin, teeth and flowing red hair have been examined by archaeologists and forensic experts who can confirm that the body is genuine. X-rays of the fairy reveal an anatomically identical skeleton to that of a child. The bones, however, are hollow like those of a bird making them particularly light. The puzzling presence of a navel even suggests that the beings reproduce the same as humans despite the absence of reproductive organs.
"Whoops..."
lpersona

Post by lpersona »

fairies are overused.
why not invent some neutrois-cyborg instead?

or some more abstract-looking character?
can also be feminine, though.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Have voted for a fairy because you have good fairies and bad fairies. And as an irrlicht is a kind of a fairy it make sence.

Dwarfs are mainly nasty little creatures having fun all by them selves. Thus loosing objectivity toward users.
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

lpersona wrote:fairies are overused.
why not invent some neutrois-cyborg instead?
Or a cyborg-fairy! (or a robot - those are easier to animate...)
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
fmx

Post by fmx »

I think voting here is pointless now, we need to start a new "Submit your Art and Renders for the Irrlicht Mascot" compo thread or something.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

(ro)bots :x are like dwarfs, having fun all by themselves but dwarfs have, unlike bots, feelings. So I would go for a dwarf then.

Just my humble opinion.
I am a giant. At least for the dwarf and fairy 8)
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

Then maybe Half a fairy/dwarf, half a robot ?
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

fmx wrote:I think voting here is pointless now, we need to start a new "Submit your Art and Renders for the Irrlicht Mascot" compo thread or something.
Yes, I also think so - having someone who can actually draw mascots is most important. I tried a few times myself, but gave up as the result usually looked like some unhappy lemon or similar :-)
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Think that someone who's best at modeling should model the mascot people have voted for and then use that the mascot to create the icon, picture, background-watermark or whatever.

The model/mascot should be low pologon so it can be used within a scene. That would mean the mascot itself should be a low-poly model to have consistency and leaving the opertunity for people to fantasise thus create cool looking wallpapers.

A low-poly-model also makes it consistend i.e., if you make the mascot hang over the 'irr' on the logo it would be the exact the same as the model in the tutorial 1.HelloWorld. Not using different kinds of techniques. i.e. some 2D cartoons have been made into 3D cartoons and IMHO they lost their unique emotions turning them into new/other characters.
No :shock: I am no noob, just checking if your not one too :roll:

Thanks to Niko and all others that made Irrlicht possible.