Virtual City

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

looks lovely Don Pedro!

Feels like a place to stay around just wandering for hours....no hurries...perhaps buy some apples :D
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

I would be very interested in helping you develop this project I'm already working with other groups on modeling and map design please contact me via msn using the button below if you're interested in my help.
DexteR

Post by DexteR »

I really like the screenshoots.

Im also workin on huge map using zone-portal techniques
for outdoor scene.

"What kind of LightScene did u use to get that kind shadow effects
or light dim effect from your work?"
don_Pedro

Post by don_Pedro »

Thank you all guys. The engine is still on quite early stage of development, and after making some of my first scene, I conclude it also needs little redesign. I found a few inconveniences :). As soon as I implement basic functionality I will really appreciate any help. At the moment my editor is quite tricky and very incomplete, for example all materials are hard coded at the moment :roll: , cuz of lack of material editor. It also needs support for team work, as any such map is big project, and demands good synchronization - of course design of such really big map is definitely not work for one person, or it will take years. For now I will publish first little demo in next 2 weeks, just few streets and few buildings, you can fly arround.
The shadows are just vertex shading with veeery simple realtime "raytracing" - it's all calculated on fly, scene structure allows to do it quite efficiently and it looks good enough, I think.
puh

Post by puh »

Very nice scene, don_Pedro! I'm impressed as I could imagine how difficult to create such kind of scene by your own. I did similar project some time ago, if you are interested find it here
If you need any help with modeling - contact me, i try to help with anything i can (for example trees could definetly be much more realistic).
don_Pedro

Post by don_Pedro »

I've seen your work earlier, and yes, you have much better trees than mine :). But at the moment they have all the same texture, meant actually for bushes and all are exact copies of one another. Many things are just still temprary. I have done 92 textures for this scene so far, and I'm drawing most of them, rarely using photos, it's hard, but anyway so much fun :). Besides that at the moment trees just can't be much better, cause of engine's lacking of capabilities, there's vasteness of programistic work remaining. Maybe I just should stick to coding now, but I'm losing urge to work when I don't see any impressing effects, so I took a beak and working on my pre-alpha demo.
puh

Post by puh »

I agree - motivation for any free project is the main point. Waiting for your demo soon :)
BTW what is main point for your project? Would you like to create some kind of clone of ViceCity?
don_Pedro

Post by don_Pedro »

I have some ideas for games, but they hardly could be called clone of any other game, I try to be original :D . Of course they all have something common with ViceCity, like driveing different means of transport :wink: .
I dream of epic scenario, rpg and morpg elements and so on, but I'm not actually such a ill dreamer(bad experiences), and plan something much easier at the beginning. Maybe just relatively simple online hide-seek-shot'em game on not so gigantic map, but anyway big enough :). It would be probably wars of motocycle gangs, actually quite similiar gameplay to unreal or quake3, but TPP and you are driveing armed motors on greater area. Or maybe something even simplier, like racing from point to point across the city, just to check features.
Club

Post by Club »

Man really cool. It seemes really suitable for a project I wanna do after the one I do now... We'll see if you let me and if your thing becomes useable for outsiders! Keep it up!

Club
Beasty

Post by Beasty »

don_Pedro, how hard is it to make your own map editor? I haven't tried it yet, because it seems like a very complex procedure :wink: . All the editors I've seen have very complex functions, so it must be real hard. I hope you'll create a tutorial or something, after you finish your projects, on how to create your own editor. It must be real hard working on 3 things at once: engine, editor and game :wink: . I'm certainly impressed with your work and efforts, so keep up the good work, don_Pedro :D !
don_Pedro

Post by don_Pedro »

Editor is actually most work, enough to say that engine itself contains at the moment 5 files, and editor 10. But it's anyway definitely not piece of good software, it's piece of quick software. I concentrate rather on the engine, to make it well designed and bugless. I work on editor, just because it's essential to do anything. Something better should be written in future, if the engine will grow up.
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Nice project, and cool shots. I'll add them to the projects (http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/screens ... jects.html) page if you don't mind. :)
don_Pedro

Post by don_Pedro »

Of course I don't mind and thanks to you, niko, for great job. I will release first working demo next week, and probably launch little website for the project if I only find proper webspace. Virtual City is but working title and I will change it when I find out something more fancy :wink:.

Post by Guest »

Just one problem dude. The demo is having a problem downloading from the site????? Check it out!

Post by Guest »

Great Job! I like the demo but when will you start to open up the source. I know that it's very hard to give time estimates to when a project will be done (or at least it's hard for me) but I was wondering if you might have an estimate.