Oblivion

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
winter_moon

Post by winter_moon »

No nothing
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

With the type of terrain and levels you're using, you'll need an davanced OctTree algorithm. good luck! :)
mohaps

Post by mohaps »

The Algorithm Red Faction used for Deformable Surroundings was basically a souped up realtime CSG Engine. It was possible to mark geometry as destructible and when you hit it with something chucks were "INTERSECTED (CSG SUBTRACT) from them. that is why the wholes are almost always union of spherical cutouts... i think the CSG chunks were precalculated ... like LOD meshes or something... so on one hit switch mesh_0 to mesh_1 etc. etc.

I do not know how they did it... but you need a dynamic PVS updater as a chunk of geom being there or not actually turns on or off some stuff...

otherwise..just brute force it in smaller map sizes.... draw everything...

hey it is all guesswork..i DO NOT know how red faction actually did stuff...
---
Saurav Mohapatra
author, artist and bona fide geek

web: http://www.mohaps.com
email: mohaps AT gmail DOT com
winter_moon

Post by winter_moon »

I have managed to re-work the terrain scene node a lotbetter to give a LOD and lighting normals as well as curved walls for the caves see the screens below. There are a few bugs which I hope to sort out so a techDemo can be launched.

Also I have made the destructable wall scene node up a TechDemo of which I have [url = http://www.blindrage.co.uk/Screens/Rob/Wall.zip]here[/url]

This is a basic version with only 5 walls standered FPS camera controls fire with W exit with Alt F4.

The walls are detructable and have a LOD algorithm programmed in the partical effect is very basic but ok and the sky box is my own.

I would appreciate any feedback.
dawasw

Post by dawasw »

Destructing walls is great. Excellent work ! :D