[Help Wanted] "The First King" - FPS game. PRE-ALP

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

Hi. Dejai. If we use the textures, i'll put you in the credits. Thanks.
dejai

Post by dejai »

There not that good are they lol.
Programming Blog: http://www.uberwolf.com
christianclavet

I've not yet started modeling yet. So I can say nothing about this for now. :roll:
Once I've started some models and applied it to them, I would be able to tell you if they look right. At the moment, I can't. :cry:

Why do you say they're not that good :shock: ? You have already somebody that want to use them! :wink:

One thing, I'll have to do, is create a seamless texture and try to create also some normal/specular maps to go along them (sand and stone for example).

I have to have a "starting point" (Basic engine functionnalities) before modeling will start. (camera rig will be working, basic GUI, create plugin to have the IRRedit place nodes (entities) on the level.)
I also would like to import a character in there just to see (like the dwarf or something to check If I can make a 3rd person view rig)
dejai

Post by dejai »

Hey Christian, what tools did you use to make your test map, I am interesting in making my own for my own demo tests.
JP

Post by JP »

I should think that Christian wouldn't mind you using his test level, but i think he uses lightwave to do his modelling.
Image Image Image
dejai

Post by dejai »

$1,270.00

I can't afford that, what should I use as a free option. :/
christianclavet

Hi, The best option as FREE is Blender. It as comparable tools as Lightwave, 3DS and other big package, the community is great also. You should find lots of tutorials.

For my level, It's on the sourceforge site, and use the same license as IRRlicht (zlib license), so anyone can use it.

From Lightwave, I have to use a file format converter to bring the files in Gile[s]. From Blender, you have good exporter that will do this job directly. (Hybrid is working on a big gift for Lightwaver's :D , he's implementing an LWO loader now, was able to load some object, but without surfaces, I'm checking the SVN each day to check on this developpement.)

You could then use IRRedit to create your Lightmaps and save your meshes IRRmesh (For levels design). I wonder, if the community could create a .B3D saver or/and .X savers. We could then use IRRlicht to convert some animated meshes. (For me this could be great, I could import Lightwave objects directly, then save them (Can already do that with non-animated meshes).

But I've read that some format licenses won't allow this (I know we could do this for .B3D, but not sure for .X format). In any case, IRRlicht is getting better and better.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

for x also. Of course!
md3, md5 , b3d also. You can do freely converters for all them.
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
dejai

Post by dejai »

I do find myself using misfit models, which I do like it seems to be able to run levels fine... Maybe it would be good? For a programmer artist I find blender really hard to use :/
dejai

Post by dejai »

Ok the first Errors I get after setting the following parameters:
engine/lib/irrlichtlib.a (or whatevers its called)

Include
FirstKing Directory
Include Camera Directory
Include Irrlicht Include Directory

Set .exe Path to Binary Folder

I get

32 C:\FirstKing\Source\main.cpp gui\gamegui.h: No such file or directory.

Now when i go through and delete all the \ from the files :/ I thought it was \\ in c++? Maybe not for include files.. But after all of this I get..

Code: Select all

C:\FirstKing\Source\gcc installation problem, cannot exec `cc1': No such file or directory. 

[Resource error] no resources 
 C:\FirstKing\Source\Makefile.win [Build Error]  [TheFirstKing_private.res] Error 1 

Um? I am not sure whats wrong because I don't have a Source\gcc :/ Does the resource File try to use source gcc ? I am using the same compiler as you.
:D
christianclavet

dejai wrote:Ok the first Errors I get after setting the following parameters:
engine/lib/irrlichtlib.a (or whatevers its called)

Include
FirstKing Directory
Include Camera Directory
Include Irrlicht Include Directory

Set .exe Path to Binary Folder

I get

32 C:\FirstKing\Source\main.cpp gui\gamegui.h: No such file or directory.

Now when i go through and delete all the \ from the files :/ I thought it was \\ in c++? Maybe not for include files.. But after all of this I get..

Code: Select all

C:\FirstKing\Source\gcc installation problem, cannot exec `cc1': No such file or directory. 

[Resource error] no resources 
 C:\FirstKing\Source\Makefile.win [Build Error]  [TheFirstKing_private.res] Error 1 

Um? I am not sure whats wrong because I don't have a Source\gcc :/ Does the resource File try to use source gcc ? I am using the same compiler as you.
:D
Humm. I think you are using my .DEV file.
Please, To be sure re-create a .DEV project and add the files in the project.

Also remove any other files that are not supposed to be there. (keep only the .cpp and .h files move the other files elsewhere if you want to keep them) I think that my .DEV project paths are not matching yours at all.

I'm using about 3-4 version of irrlicht in there (1.3.1, 1.4 alpha, 1.4 final, 1.4 last SVN) and put all the includes, lib in separate folders inside my DEVC++ folder that reside in my F: drive. So that could perhaps affect the compilation if your setup is not the same. I also put my version of the irrlicht.dll in the folder of the current application i'm working on.
christianclavet

New video on YouTube

Hi.

Created a new video on YouTube. Used FRAPS this time. So it's much more smoother and the framerate is good.

Here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IY2B_qeFm0
MasterGod

Re: New video on YouTube

Post by MasterGod »

christianclavet wrote:Hi.

Created a new video on YouTube. Used FRAPS this time. So it's much more smoother and the framerate is good.

Here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IY2B_qeFm0
Wow, amazing camera work there.
I haven't checked the code for a very long time. Is the camera designed in a way it can be used with other projects easily?
(Maybe I'll add it to mine :wink: )

P.S
What do you mean by Rigged camera, what does "rig" means?
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

Wow christianclavet great work, and I love the new preferences selection menu that appears like the Xbox 360 dock. That is so awesome. Keep up the good work!
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

Wow christianclavet nice work on the camera, i really enoyed watching the video(even thought its a walkthrough a static environment the camera made things fun).

I wont be havingexams for about 3 weeks so maybe ill be able to help on something.

as for the texture makers in this thread,i see allot of you are useing procedurals only, these are good for setting out the basic shapes and colours, however the details never look natural without cheating :wink:. Artsist now like to use grunge brushes (google them) to quickly add details which you cant generate. These brushes are ussually derieved from photos and hence add realism which you can never procerually generate.
"Irrlicht is obese"

If you want modern rendering techniques learn how to make them or go to the engine next door =p