XEffects - (Indoor Soft-Shadows + Post-Processing)

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
yellowfever13

Post by yellowfever13 »

Thanks BlindSide...I suppose per light via ambient setting...but then again, I'm too much of an amature to make that call. I'm sure you will make the best decision. I will continue to tinker with it to try and get better results like your demo.

Thanks for your hard work!
Fashizzle
hollow

Post by hollow »

Hi all,

we actually want to integrate XEffects into our Irrlicht project to use the postprocessing framework. It seems to be a useful program, thank you for sharing your work.

As postprocessing effects, the blur shaders from the example have been registered in the effectManager as done in the example.

But on calling the update-method of the effect manager, the program crashes when trying to access the ScreenQuad's material. This happens at line 773 in effectWrapper.cpp.

Code: Select all

ScreenQuad->getMaterial(0).setTexture(1,ScreenRTT);
The programm wants to read a bad pointer somewhere. Other calls to ScreenQuad change this address marginally, but the crash keeps occuring, so this seems to be an issue with the initialization of the ScreenQuad object. This is rather odd, because the address of the Quad itself seems to be a valid one when debugging the application.

For debugging purposes we created a new ScreenQuad in every update() call, and the problem does not occur anymore. But as you can imagine, this is not a viable solution. =)

Any advice is appreciated.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Thanks for the report, I will look into it. Does this happen in both drivers or only in OpenGL/Direct3D9 whatever you were using?
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
hollow

Post by hollow »

The problem occurs with both OpenGL and D3D drivers. On selecting the D3D driver though, there are some shader compiler errors when trying to compile the shaders with vertex shader 3.0. On changing the compiler version to 2.0, not all of the errors seem to be fixed, but i haven't located the remaining 4 error sources yet.

There are no errors / warnings concerning the shaders when using the OpenGL driver. I assume that this means there have no problems occured. I will test the code on other machines to check whether this is system specific.

Thanks for your reply, i'm already looking forward to see things polished in the xEffects style. =)
aheymann

Post by aheymann »

We are having exactlty the same problems. Ambient light needs to be specified as per irrlicht, but then the individual material properties for each node needs to be specified e.g. via AmbientColor. All these features will be incredible useful. Any ideas on timescales?

Anton
DGENXP

Post by DGENXP »

Im new to VC++ when i try and use this i get this linker Error

Code: Select all

error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall effectHandler::effectHandler(class irr::IrrlichtDevice *,class irr::core::dimension2d<int>,class irr::core::string<char,class irr::core::irrAllocator<char> >,class irr::core::dimension2d<int>)" (??0effectHandler@@QAE@PAVIrrlichtDevice@irr@@V?$dimension2d@H@core@2@V?$string@DV?$irrAllocator@D@core@irr@@@42@1@Z) referenced in function "void __cdecl `dynamic initializer for 'effect''(void)" (??__Eeffect@@YAXXZ)
what libraries does this use and where can i get my hands on them

i would appreciate a reply for this as this looks like an A+ wrapper and i would really like to add it to RPG Builder.

thanks
Someone once said A Jack of all trades is a master of none.

Join the Community at the RB3D Forums:

http://www.rpbuilder.org/forum
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

There are no librarys, maybe you forgot to include the cpp files in your project?

Btw guys I'm working on another major revision with multiple passes/lights etc, hopefully most of the issues you have now will be solved in this next release.

Cheers
hollow

Post by hollow »

... another major revision with multiple passes/lights ...
We are looking forward to that. Meanwhile we will be trying to find the problem ourselves. Thanks again for working on this package, it's a major plus for the irrlicht engine when it comes to polishing a project.
aheymann

Post by aheymann »

Blindside

Am I correct in saying that your effects library only works with materials that are textured - e.g. a 'normal' material without textures e.g. just diffuse colour will not work where texture coordinates are not defined?

Thanks

Anton
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

aheymann wrote: e.g. a 'normal' material without textures e.g. just diffuse colour will not work where texture coordinates are not defined?
No, that is incorrect. The mesh may appear black however because it will attempt to multiply with the color of the texture and receive black. (Thats what happens in shaders when there is no texture defined.). Of course this is unrelated to the texture coordinates, if you would like to know more look up "Projective Texturing".

The new release, however, is pretty much finished, I'm just documenting/polishing etc, and this one will allow you to have any material imaginable (Pretty much) with shadow maps applied. So even if it was diffuse white with no texture or another custom pixel shader effect it will work.

Cheers
aheymann

Post by aheymann »

Blindside - thanks for the response. How do you not get 'black' on a normal material without a texture (in the current release), or is that not possible?. In DirectX mode, I simply get black, but in OpenGL mode I get a 'random' texture (looks like the last one used), placed over the object, where I would be expecting a diffuse colour. I am looking forward to your latest developments. Have you looked at also supporting ambient light?

Thanks

Anton
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Yes, I am making project announcement now.
volard

Post by volard »

I use XEffects, but some models I want use without XEffects and get that result:

with XEffects

without XEffects
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

First of all this is a very old version please use: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=30631

Second to avoid this behavior you should use "excludeNodeFromLightingCalculations()" on the scene nodes that you do not want affected by the lighting.
volard

Post by volard »

First of all this is a very old version please use: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=30631
I've written in wrong topic, I use new version 1.3.
Second to avoid this behavior you should use "excludeNodeFromLightingCalculations()" on the scene nodes that you do not want affected by the lighting.
Thanks, it's work!