Project Ninja Star - help wanted - ported to windows on 26th

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

I like binary Linux releases ;-).

Not too happy about having to install a lib for it (libhighgui), but unfortunately common on linux :-(.

Also not nice - the zip does not use a subfolder. You should always use that.

But couldn't get the demo working ( PNS-demo-23-7-09.zip ).
First some problem - you should avoid special characters like a space in your gamepathes. Unzipped the "Game Data" is named here "Game%20Data" which means nothing works.

Afterwards tried to load shaders from a folder ./shaders which did not exist. So everything black and I didn't see anything beside titlescreen :-(
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

could you please post the command line output for the shader problem (while in meantime I will investigate)

Eigen : I am not focusing on water that much, but I simply had to do it since the water caustics were to test if I can recover screen position properly. So the improved water is a by-product
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

fixed you can download now and it works
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Hm, zip still not using a subfolder. Game data was this time with space (though I still recommend not using a space in paths).

Game did load this time, but then only had 3 FPS, switched a few times between blue and red and then crashed :-(

Did try options next - a little bit confusing but nice effect ;-). But failed to get the "return" to work - and when I hit it finally at the right place (probably) it seemed to freeze. Changed settings then didn't seem to be used on next start (I wanted lower resolution, hoping for better FPS).

So some improvement to last time... but still no game :-(
Can I maybe set the settings in some config-file? Then I'd try it again with lower resolution.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

60k-80k (the damn house_ it is there for testing only) polygons are being drawn so i would be vary about the effects.

3FPS - I would be rather worried... works at 40 to 180 on max settings on my PC. What are your specs?

get Bless Hex binary editor and edit Menu.pns (dont forget to tick little endian encoding)
This is how stuff gets saved

Code: Select all

int savemenu() {
   bool BOOLS[9] = { vsync_enabled, fullscreen, stencilbuffer, DOF_enabled, HDR_enabled, Bloom_enabled, AA, MOT_BLUR_enabled, SSAO_enabled};
   int INTS[5] = { track_count, resx, resy, joy_dead, trig_dead };
   float FLOATS [4] = { Music_Volume, Master_Volume, mouse_sensi, joy_sensi };
   FILE *pFile = fopen ( "Menu.pns" , "wb" );
   if (pFile==NULL) {
#ifdef DEBUG
      std::cout << "Error 11: Could not open file for writing in binary mode " << pFile << std::endl;
#endif
      return 0;
   }
   bool success[7];
   success[0] = fwrite (signature_menu, sizeof(char) , 4, pFile);
   success[1] = fwrite (FLOATS , sizeof(float) , 4, pFile );
   success[2] = fwrite (INTS , sizeof(int), 5, pFile );
   success[3] = fwrite (BOOLS, sizeof(bool) , 9, pFile);
   success[4] = fwrite (keymap2, sizeof(irr::s32) , 18, pFile);
   success[5] = fwrite (axis_Triggers, sizeof(bool) , 20, pFile);
   success[6] = fwrite (invert_axis, sizeof(irr::s16) , 20, pFile);
   fclose (pFile);
   if (success[0]&&success[1]&&success[2]&&success[3]&&success[4]&&success[5]&&success[6])
      return 1;
   else {
#ifdef DEBUG
      std::cout << "Error 8: Encountered a problem writing one or more arrays to the save file." << std::endl;
#endif
      return 0;
   }
}

But anyway thanks for your time and testing... now I know what i need to improove... just for your information... in the options menu there are quick shot switchers.. if you hit 1 you go to general. if you hit 2 video, 3 is audio, and 4 is empty. ofc as you would imagine apart from using return on the ninjastar, you can hit ESCape as well.

thanks again CuteAlien for wasting your time on this pointless game.

EDIT: here is the new file.. clear the old one out with BlessHex (can be found in add remove in ubuntu- I dont know what distro you are using but you are likely to get a package nice and easy)

switch the entrails to this

Code: Select all

4D 53 46 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 80 3F 00 00 C0 40 00 00 80 3F 19 00 00 00 20 03 00 00 58 02 00 00 4E 16 00 00 1F 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 57 00 00 00 53 00 00 00 41 00 00 00 44 00 00 00 FF 00 00 00 FF 00 00 00 1B 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 15 01 00 00 15 01 00 00 14 01 00 00 14 01 00 00 18 01 00 00 17 01 00 00 0B 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 01 00 00 01 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 01 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 01 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF

P.S. and ofcourse I take it cuteAlien that the splitscreen function works ok (does it tell you to get lost because you dont have a joystick)?

EDIT2: Well thanks to CuteAlien I have finally found out the minimum reqs:

Processor = as slow as you like (I think even a pentium 3 could manage)
RAM = 512mb (and that is just to keep your system running)
GFX CARD = nvidia 6 series and above. Minimum 128mb of VRAM (would do with 64)
randomMesh

Post by randomMesh »

devsh wrote:get Bless Hex binary editor and edit Menu.pns (dont forget to tick little endian encoding)
This is how stuff gets saved
<snip>
Why don't you use plain text configuration files? Irrlicht has such a nice XMLreader and -writer.
It really would help people to edit settings. Binary files are sooo last century.
"Whoops..."
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

it was easy to make like 5 months ago and i kept it that way
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

I hope you have the endianess specified and cope with that in your code :P
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

and here are my Deffered Shadow Maps!!!

working at up to 5kx5k

but I think I will need to introduce CSM or PSSM to produce sharper shadows and kill z fighting. There are z fighting issues (minor).

BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

I recommend VSM now that Irrlicht supports FP render targets. It's easy to implement and gets rid of a lot of the artifacts/aliasing.
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

BlindSide wrote:I recommend VSM now that Irrlicht supports FP render targets. It's easy to implement and gets rid of a lot of the artifacts/aliasing.
Hmmm... VSM maps aren't cheap technique, so if You think about low end cards as target, You shouldn't use this technique, for other cards this technique is ok ;)

BTW. For OpenGL You should apply this patch:
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=33796
It usage official ARB extension.
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

It can be faster than PCF blur depending on the resolution etc.

I applied the patch, see the topic for notes.
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

It can be faster than PCF blur depending on the resolution etc.
Yes, thats true, I thinked about leave standart algorithm for low end cards, so without VSM/PCF/etc.
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

I implemented PCF and haven't bothered with VSM because the work vs. effect does not pay off. I need to make PSSM or CSM with VSM in them so I get high quality shadows over a large area.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

ok so I have added support for hardware lights gl_LightSource in my deffered shader and it runs at whooping 37FPS but it still gets to 50 sometimes (down from 50 with no lights) when 100 lights are in the scene.

But there is a catch... only 8 lights at a time in OGL is it??? Obviously I need more... how to do that?

But the bad news is that somehow I get errors like

GL_INVALID_FRAME_BUFFER_OPERATION
could not bind texture

I think my programming syntax is bad. What shall I avoid doing with textures?? or more specific render targets?

2) what is a proper way of passing of lets say 4 textures to a shader??? How do I set the stPixelShaderCosntant()? I feel I have been doing it all wrong?