New Animation System for Irrlicht

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Well, md3 won't be affected by the new animation system, because md3 is keyframe animated, while Luke improved the skeletal animation system.
But I'll check the md3 loader, too.
xray

Post by xray »

No clue to my problem five posts above ?
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

md3 is more quality than md2, and yet can be used exactly as an md2, but with smooth interpolation, better limits, better shading, etc.
and yup, while you make it with bones and weights, if you wish, in yor 3d tool, the actual format is vertex animation.

Beware those UV creases,(will be your smoothing creases also, sadly) where you put them, as unless the engine force later a fix on the model (is a format limit, not an engine duty, tho) to weld the model, the control over normals could be lost.
1. i m not able to position it.
I've seen in other engines, is like position other entity, they treated it like that, am told..
2. i m not able to rotate it.
if rotated as entity...
3. i m not able to scale it.
At least in art tools, once applied the weights, would be a problem. Scaling at export time, once is an md3, is also a problem , often. Indeed, last time I checked, md3 exporter of blender, had accuracy prob with the vertices (reminds me one of strongest probs of md2: trembling of vertices...as it did used only small numbers (integers?) for positioning them had no accuracy, problem out in md3) solution I found was trying changing in the python script to several scale values till it exported something quite similar, yet not 100%.

yep, you see now why we really needed solid bones and weights solid animation system....All these problems are not there with the better formats like b3d and md5.
4 and i cannot control the animation..it just keep on playing the full animation again and again..
quick solution: tel you artist to give an anim per action: ie, attack, another is walk, etc. And you play them when needed. If you mean you can't either control thenº of times is played, or cant stop them, that's another thing, but surely you can.
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

xray:

you need to call:

skeleton->setJointMode(2);

and use the latest svn, your mesh wasn't being counted as animated because it had no animation data.
xray

Post by xray »

Thanks alot Luke!
shogun

Post by shogun »

In my last tests I had problem with setting props. I add the props with propNode->setParent(boneNode).

First problem is that the position of the propss aren't quite right in the transitions, they move like they have an offset.
Second problem: when I rotate or move the bone by myself, its child (i.e. the prop) doesn't update instead of rotating/moving too. The JointMode is EJUOR_CONTROL, I manipulate the bone after animateJoints() - the mesh is behaving correctly, only the prop doesn't act as it should.
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

we worked it out on irc but for others,
First problem is that the position of the propss aren't quite right in the transitions, they move like they have an offset.
Yeah, seems the absolute positions wasn't updated, try the svn now, if it's good, it should be ok to fix for 1.4

Second problem: when I rotate or move the bone by myself, its child (i.e. the prop) doesn't update instead of rotating/moving too. The JointMode is EJUOR_CONTROL, I manipulate the bone after animateJoints() - the mesh is behaving correctly, only the prop doesn't act as it should.
update the absolute positions of the moved bone.
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

I got a question about new animation system.
Currently are removed some useful functions from .x mesh implementation like:
-getAnimationCount();
-getAnimationName (s32 idx);
-setCurrentAnimation (const c8 *name);

I checked 1.4 code an found this:

Code: Select all

bool CXMeshFileLoader::parseDataObjectAnimationSet()
{
#ifdef _XREADER_DEBUG
	os::Printer::log("CXFileReader: Reading animation set");
#endif

core::stringc AnimationName;

if (!readHeadOfDataObject(&AnimationName))
	{
		os::Printer::log("No opening brace in Animation Set found in x file", ELL_WARNING);
		return false;
	}
AnimationName is local variable?? Uselessly.

Code: Select all

In old 1.3 version we have
	struct SXAnimationSet
	{
		core::stringc AnimationName;
		core::array<SXAnimation> Animations;
	};
in CXFileReader and CXAnimationPlayer.

But in 1.4 this was removed from CXMeshFileLoader.
So, my question is whether implementation of these useful methods are planned for new animation system??

Thanks.
ImageImage
Site development -Rock and metal online
--- etcaptor.com ------freenetlife.com
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

I think it's a good idea. We can make default names (e.g. irranim12) for all the formats which don't name animations themselves.
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

Thanks hybrid.
That will be great!
ImageImage
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

Hi again,
Do you think that putting of getJointCount() method to IAnimatedMeshSceneNode interface is good idea?
Currently this method is available only from ISkinnedMesh.
ImageImage