Who is everybody?

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
Geomaster

Post by Geomaster »

yamashi wrote:I think it's pretty weird to see people say that they have been programming since they were 5 to 10 because I am sorry to tell you that it has been proved that your brain is still only an emotional tool and an information gatherer, you are passive and can't think by yourself at such a young age...
So I don't really know what you get from saying that, but you are making fools or yourselves...

Well that's basically all I have to say, I personally think that this thread is a little "weird", if you guys need to show off at least do it in real life ;-)
I know what I'm talking about, you don't have to believe it if you don't want to. I started programming macros in Excel with book Excel 5, when I was about 7 yrs old. Excel 5 book referenced "Visual Basic Macros for Beginners" or something like that, so I wanted to buy that. Me and my father once traveled to Nis (don't remember why) and we saw a computer shop.We went in and I saw a book "Visual Basic 6", so my dad bought it. When I came home, I realized that it's for VB6 - a programming language, so we went to one seller of those programs (I think he sold pirated versions, but well), bought the CD and then I started doing some simple things in VB6, I remember clearly, when I was first grade in my primary school.

I don't know what has been proven, I just recall my past.

PS: 5 years old programmer - that simply can't be, my brother is 5 yrs old and he doesn't know how to write properly - and plus he needs to learn english and much things that his brain can't hold. I started learning some basic C++ when I was 10 years old. I don't know how the brain could be only passive - hey, 10 years, that's 4th grade, we were completely conscious at that point.
yamashi

Post by yamashi »

And also you say that you remember stuff from when you were 5 yo, let me tell you something :
The brain erases everything between 0 and 8-9 yo, there is no way you can remember anything about it, maybe you heard something like that from your parents and you misunderstood which seems the most reasonable explanation for me...
Last edited by yamashi on Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
sRc

Post by sRc »

yamashi wrote:You acquire consciousness between 13 yo and 17 yo...
I am just saying that as a neurosurgeon, after all I have been studying the brain since before you were born ;-)
And also you say that you remember stuff from when you were 5 yo, let me tell you something :
The brain erases everything between 0 and 8-9 yo, there is no way you can remember anything about it, maybe you heard something like that from your parents and you misunderstood which seems the most reasonable explanation for me...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah, have fun with that one

and since we're on the topic, I could read some things at four and when I was five I received a Commodore 64 for Christmas and had that for 3 years, so I learned how to "program" in Commodore BASIC with various BASIC books I owned, if you could consider that programming anyway compared to proper languages today :lol: I was reading the Star Trek TOS novelizations while I was in 1st grade (age 6) at the recommendation of my teacher because normal 1st grade reading lessons were incredibly boring since I was well past them.

and I have numerous memories from well before I was 9, as you so put it, and well before that even. I can remember distinctly things from when I was age 4 and on, and the earliest thing I remember was an event in late 1987 which I would have been 2 at the time. and no, it's not cryptomnesia, as you are suggesting, they are genuinely mine.
The Bard sRc

Blog | Twitter
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

I think there are logo (a programming language designed for children) courses aimed at pre-school kids. So maybe writing simple programs is just not that hard.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
sRc

Post by sRc »

CuteAlien wrote:I think there are logo (a programming language designed for children) courses aimed at pre-school kids. So maybe writing simple programs is just not that hard.
haha, LOGO. yeah its meant for kids to use. I remember reading about that in various things, but never actually seeing any examples until I found this old Algebra II book my 7th Algebra teacher had found in his classroom (he was a new teacher there the year I started Junior High) that I ended up taking for some I think PASCAL examples because it was antiquated and he didnt need it (the LOGO example was a fractal recursion example, if I remember correctly, considerably higher level than what kids would do with it but was easier to show that way than in PASCAL)
The Bard sRc

Blog | Twitter
Lil Margin

Post by Lil Margin »

yamashi wrote:You acquire consciousness between 13 yo and 17 yo...
I am just saying that as a neurosurgeon, after all I have been studying the brain since before you were born ;-)
that's really not true, i can remember my 5th birthday party, i can remember which school i went to and all the mayor stuff i have done,etc
so maybe your theory is right but just did not work on me :)
Geomaster

Post by Geomaster »

I remember how I got Visual Basic 6 when I was 7 years old.

Btw, i think i can recall one moment when i was 2yrs old, and that was NATO's bombarding of Serbia. I just remember a single picture, and that was the face of my friend and an unusable fridge. It was horrible, I heard later, and that is maybe the reason i can remember (that hapenned in 1999).
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

yamashi wrote:I think it's pretty weird to see people say that they have been programming since they were 5 to 10 because I am sorry to tell you that it has been proved that your brain is still only an emotional tool and an information gatherer, you are passive and can't think by yourself at such a young age...
So I don't really know what you get from saying that, but you are making fools or yourselves...
You better be trolling. I was born in 1979 and started with this book when I was 5 and later this magazine. On the Sinclair Spectrum each key was a command, you didn't need to know how to spell to write simple programs! Obviously at the age of 5 I just copied out small programs and made changes to them, with help from my dad, not very creative but it was still programming.

By your reasoning children can't write stories, draw pictures or play musical instruments. They might not be any good at it, but it doesn't stop them from trying.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

Started coding around 10, on a mac. One of my best mate who works at EA started around 7-8 if I remember correctly, I think he was on a commodore or somesuch. Also, my nephew who is 11 does better 3d art than most people I have seen on this board (which, on a side note, is understandable seeing as this is a coding community mostly). So go back under your rock and keep listening to the darkness.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

I started as an artist in the age of 8... for a game, then around 10 i was coding in game maker and html and php
sio2
Competition winner

Post by sio2 »

devsh wrote:I started as an artist in the age of 8... for a game, then around 10 i was coding in game maker and html and php
How many games or demos have you finished and can you give us the links?
Stratosphere

Post by Stratosphere »

Name: Alexander *Not gonna give you my last name*
Programming: Python, C++

I started programming when i was about ten, never made anything really big though. I started with pascal, but i don't use that anymore so i don't list it as a language I program in. Irrlicht got me into C++ :D
Reiria

Hiya!

Post by Reiria »

I've been trying to develop a game for a long time now, at least 5 years, maybe longer... I forgot when I first started writing the mountain of papers I have locked away, but anyways that's not what's important. I have to say, when I first saw this I started reading the features page... then I stopped and nearly had a heart attack. Not only does it look amazing, but it's free and royalty free? I'm sorry, I'm downloading the file now to test it out, but this has to be some sort of amazingly elaborate joke, because it sounds far too good to be true...
Also, hi, I'm Aaron the pessimist.

Edit: I... am impressed.
When the world is coming down around you, and the only thing left is your friends, your enemies, and the weapon in your hand, what will you do?
Brainsaw

Post by Brainsaw »

Welcome to the club ;) . When I started with Irrlicht (before a long time doing nothing with game-programming at all) I had tried out several other free 3D engines, but Irrlicht is both powerful and easy to use so it's my engine-of-choice.
Dustbin::Games on the web: https://www.dustbin-online.de/

Dustbin::Games on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dustbingames/
Dustbin::Games on twitter: https://twitter.com/dustbingames
Abraxas)

Post by Abraxas) »

Name: Alexander Cohen
/l: Montreal

I've seen several iterations of Basic, including the PC Jr. catridge (basica) the 286-486 version (Qbasic and the QbasicX which can compile EXEs!) and Visual Basic (which the .NET version brought to competing status with c++).

The best engine I've seen using VB has to be Truevision3D. It's middleware that performs even better then IRR when it comes to stability. I finally switched to c++ because it's more powerfull, and I like to use arrayed classes within arrayed classes...