Funny programming pictures, jokes & quotes

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

kazymjir wrote:.NET, for me, is absolutely perfect technology for business applications (I used it mainly for this purpose).
You can code logic very fast, GUI can be coded also very fast, even by guy who never coded any GUI system before.
But managed language for games? Where code must be optimized more than code can be optimized? It must be Microsoft joke :D
Exactly, games can seriously benefit from custom memory management and resource management, I already spent more than a month just tweaking my engine's memory management and there's still a lot of work to be done, but the result is already noticeable (in terms of speed and in terms of possible memory leaks)

This is not possible in .NET languages, and to me is one of the greatest flaws of game programming in XNA

I completely agree that .NET technology is perfect for business applications, since it's so ridiculously easy to get GUI-based programs up and running; I've even seen 10-year-olds writing these kinds of applications in VB.NET

The downside of this all is that people get accustomed to writing managed code, making them afraid of languages like C and C++ (you won't believe how many programmers I know who won't touch C++) because they have no knowledge anymore of lower level programming, which I personally still see as essential knowledge to have as a programmer
ChaiRuiPeng
Location: Somewhere in the clouds.. drinking pink lemonade and sunshine..

Post by ChaiRuiPeng »

@rad

yes. it is kind of like jumping into a cold deep swimming pool (c++) it is a bit scary at first but soon you get used to it and you find out you can do more things and swim more freely while everyone else is still in the 1 foot deep kiddie pool. :)

virtual machine/compile time interpreter

c++
ent1ty wrote: success is a matter of concentration and desire
Butler Lampson wrote: all problems in Computer Science can be solved by another level of indirection
at a cost measure in computer resources ;)
ChaiRuiPeng

Post by ChaiRuiPeng »

@rad

yes. it is kind of like jumping into a cold deep swimming pool (c++) it is a bit scary at first but soon you get used to it and you find out you can do more things and swim more freely while everyone else is still in the kiddie pool. :)

virtual machine/compile time resource managing interpreter

c++ / c
Butler Lampson wrote: all problems in Computer Science can be solved by another level of indirection
Sylence

Post by Sylence »

It will take ages before a hobbyist reaches a level where C#'s performance won't be good enough.

The performance differences between C++ and C# are so minimal that I completely switched to C#. And of course you can always invest the time you saved by the faster development of the code to optimize it later on ;)
Software documentation is like sex. If it's good you want more. If it's bad it's better than nothing.
Luben

Post by Luben »

Uh, just a thought, can't you do manual memory management with malloc / virtualalloc, like, getting hold of unmanaged memory, et c?

And i like chairus analogy; but i'd replace the kiddie pool with a bathhouse or somesuch. But while swimming in c/++ is more exciting and free and natural or whatever, it's way easier to make a mistake and drown.
sortof.
ChaiRuiPeng

Post by ChaiRuiPeng »

Luben wrote:Uh, just a thought, can't you do manual memory management with malloc / virtualalloc, like, getting hold of unmanaged memory, et c?

And i like chairus analogy; but i'd replace the kiddie pool with a bathhouse or somesuch. But while swimming in c/++ is more exciting and free and natural or whatever, it's way easier to make a mistake and drown.
sortof.
or break your neck on the rocks. or get hypothermia etc.

whenever i think of aided management languages i instantly think of python or something. and i am put off... it is not that i do not like python.. i love it... but i would just stick to using python or any scripting language for managing files, easy routine tasks but not for resource intensive applications that need custom management of computers resources.
ent1ty
Competition winner

Post by ent1ty »

Muslim or Christian, Mullah or Pope, Preacher or poet who was it wrote:With great power comes great responsibility
irrRenderer 1.0
Height2Normal v. 2.1 - convert height maps to normal maps

Step back! I have a void pointer, and I'm not afraid to use it!
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

Sylence wrote:It will take ages before a hobbyist reaches a level where C#'s performance won't be good enough.

The performance differences between C++ and C# are so minimal that I completely switched to C#. And of course you can always invest the time you saved by the faster development of the code to optimize it later on ;)
I didn't mean to say that programming in C# is bad or anything, I've been a dedicated C# programmer myself for years and I still use it for developing tools (when possible) mainly because it's very easy to use forms with visual studio

And I find it hard to say that it's faster to write code in one language than in the other, since it's all dependant on which underlying libraries you're using and which systems are already in place, I can say with confidence that at this stage of my engine development process it'd be equally fast or even faster for me to write in C++ than in C#
As a result, the benefits of the language really start to shine through, I'm an extreme optimization kind of guy, so I take any speed increase I can get as long as the system stays stable
viejodani

Post by viejodani »

I was before developing software applications in Basic, C++, C#, Java, Python , Perl(I hate you), and Ruby on Rails for years. Also, I have developed games on both managed and unmanaged code. I agree with Radikalizm that no language is faster in coding than another. It depends on the libraries you use to develop your solutions (Either Applications or games).

About performance, under normal conditions and on today's computers it's pretty much the same coding your game in C# or C++ in general. It can be reduced to developers tastes rather than performance.

In my opinion, what makes me go into C++ over managed code like C# for game programming is a little demon that can be a serious pain in the neck: "memory management".
-- Never lose your sense of wonder --
ent1ty
Competition winner

Post by ent1ty »

Window with the worst features-to-size ration i've ever seen

irrRenderer 1.0

greenya

Post by greenya »

ent1ty,

size does matter after all :)
lol
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

@ent1ty: It`s an option for users that know for certain they`ll never return back to this game and feeling ashamed, they`ll do anything to hide all evidences and things to remind them of playing it... They could have also added the option "Erase Disk? - Yes/No" ("Yes" by default). :D
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."
ent1ty
Competition winner

Post by ent1ty »

I wasn't talking about the remove save games checkbox, shadowslair... almost every game has it. It's about the fact that the window is full of free space. Greenya got it :wink:
irrRenderer 1.0

viejodani

Post by viejodani »

-- Never lose your sense of wonder --
ChaiRuiPeng

Post by ChaiRuiPeng »

@vie

cute