IrTrek - not really a project but may turn into one

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Pazystamo

Post by Pazystamo »

And why in all movies spaceships fly horizontal? Its space, there is no gravity so you can fly how you want, but maybe it looks better on camera :)
My project in forum- ATMOsphere - new dynamic sky dome for Irrlicht
Anteater

Post by Anteater »

I think it's just that it looks better. Ships in Star trek are designed to be viewed a certain way. Also, remember they're only flying horizontal in relation to the camera. They could be upside-down in relation to the Earth on many occasions. BTW, here's something interesting: The Reliant was originally going to have its warp nacelles on top of the saucer.
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Other trivia: the disc-firing Dinky miniatures fired discs that were the same size as Trebor Extra Strong mints, meaning that ammunition was never a problem.

Holy sh-- Shatner, there's some for sale on ebay. I MUST HAVE THEM!
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
rayban

Post by rayban »

i remember those discs from my youth..

i also remember a spiderman web shooting toy you strapped to your wrist..
that was back in 1974...

anyways.. i have not stopped the project, just put it on hold to play with
newton physics for a bit. i made a pooltable with a ( hopefully ) working
track system inside that will allow the balls to collect in the side ball holder.

but thats just a small side project that has taken my time for now.. i will
continue on the irrtrek and hope to bring it to some playable format eventually.

@rogerborg
maybe what i can do is make some models for your project, it's another
thing to divert my time away from mine, but i need the experience anyways. some lower poly ones perhaps since its a multiplayer and there
should be some limit on how many ships are on screen at a time.. although.. it is a space scene.. not much to draw.. and i have run 20 ships drawing at around 250 fps, each ship just over 3000 polys. but thats with
no real meat in the program.. just raw drawing.
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Thanks, I appreciate the offer. However, I'm planning on just knocking up some basic cylinders-n-boxes in Milkshape, as at the camera distances I'll be using, the models will look like small bitmaps anyway. I wasn't fishing for models, I just think yours look lovely and like seeing them in action.
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Anteater

Post by Anteater »

Even more trivia: in Star Trek: The Motion Picture, when the crew exit the ship and are standing on the saucer, the phaser turrets are missing. This is because that was a (rather poorly done) matte effect. This error was fixed in the Director's Edition.