protect my models

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Robert Y.

Post by Robert Y. »

There is a rather simple way to protect your models against copying. It will stop most people, but of course not the very dedicated hacker with time on his hands.

1. Put your models in a zip archive
2. Use a program like Molebox (www.molebox.com) to bind all dlls and your zip archive together. It won't decompress your files to hard disk and protects them with strong encryption.

FYI I'm not related to molebox in any way, but came across it when looking for protection options for other projects.

@Hybrid: The Adobe capture only works in OpenGL, so DX should be safe (for now).
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

but this software isnt free. if i could buy it, i would rather buy some license for my work. law is better protection than any software
Athlon_Jedi

uhh .....

Post by Athlon_Jedi »

why dont you claim a copyright and do what every other artist in the world does and statement in the eula for the game " any unauthorized use of materials , meshes , or other game componants in part or as a whole is prohibited by law.............."

why must it be so complicated to think of an easy solution?
omar shaaban

Re: uhh .....

Post by omar shaaban »

Athlon_Jedi wrote:why dont you claim a copyright and do what every other artist in the world does and statement in the eula for the game " any unauthorized use of materials , meshes , or other game componants in part or as a whole is prohibited by law.............."

why must it be so complicated to think of an easy solution?
Ok what if i wrote that and i found peaple using it,what should i do?........ call the police :wink:
Acki

Post by Acki »

Right, that's why enterprises pay billions of dollars for copy protection research, because a "You must not copy this, it's against the law" is so effective !!! :lol:
hybrid wrote:However, it is a slow and unsecure cipher. So basically another toy to play with :wink:
Oh yes, and that's why the nazis used it the whole time and the UK (allied) couldn't decode it until they got a machine at the end... ;)
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java
omar shaaban

Post by omar shaaban »

ya u are right acki!? :lol:
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Acki wrote:
hybrid wrote:However, it is a slow and unsecure cipher. So basically another toy to play with :wink:
Oh yes, and that's why the nazis used it the whole time and the UK (allied) couldn't decode it until they got a machine at the end... ;)
No, you should get the real story (not the one from block busters which try to get a story from the whole thing). The Enigma was already deciphered at the time the Allied got the actual Enigma used at that time (the one that was sold before as a commercial equipment had one roll less). In fact even the crptologists from Poland broke the Enigma before it was caught. Anyway, it's an interesting algorithm. AES is far better and much cheaper to implement :wink:
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

It's casting pearls before swine nevertheless. Like using the best lock mechanism available and leaving the key under the doormat.
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

I think those 3D capture programs use custom ogl/dx dll's so check summing them and model encryption is the best way.
"Irrlicht is obese"

If you want modern rendering techniques learn how to make them or go to the engine next door =p
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

rly good security would be if irrlicht could load zip files protected with passwords. then the task would be how to hide password inside compiled exe so that noone using debuger could discover it
Acki

Post by Acki »

roxaz wrote:rly good security would be if irrlicht could load zip files protected with passwords. then the task would be how to hide password inside compiled exe so that noone using debuger could discover it
I don't think so, a zip password seems to be really easy to crack (there are some crack tools out there) !!!
Better would be a support for RAR with password !!!
A RAR password seems only with brute force crackable (lasts several years if you choose a long password)...
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java
vitek
Bug Slayer

Post by vitek »

The guys over at winzip have integrated AES encryption into zip files, so the encryption is not the problem [link]. The problem is that you have to store, or generate, the encryption key on the host. Anyone with a debugger and some know how can see that you are using an encrypted zip, and then step through the assembly to see where you are generating/retrieving your encryption key.

That is only a problem if your data is so important that someone would actually want to take the time to crack it. Even so, there are ways to grab your models directly from OpenGL/DirectX, so you can only really protect them so much.

Travis
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

you can make several functions of getting the key, lets say i made 10 functions for that, 9 are fake and 1 is real, then a bit mess in the code and it would be harder to get it with debuger.
omar shaaban

Post by omar shaaban »

no we are talking about 3d models
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

and i am talking about encrypting models and decrypting them on the fly