Irrlicht Developer Conference?

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

I agree, it should not be pre-recorded. But I think we should log/record everything that is going on in real-time and then post that somewhere so others can still gain the information, and questions that were asked without actually being there.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

i got ur email halifax, ill mail u my ideas there :)
i just laughed at putting across a bad idea here, sorry :) i thought recording was right, video was the bad idea.
mk.1

Post by mk.1 »

Concerning date and time, just a little idea:
Make a poll that let's you choose your time zone and then we can check where most users are online (that is GMT-5 presumably)
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

I'd rather have it around the clock, with people reserving slots.
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

Dorth wrote:I'd rather have it around the clock, with people reserving slots.
Yup that's the plan. Whoever's there is there, and they receive the extra help, and knowledge, by asking questions. But if you happen to miss the conference, then you could always check the links that will be provided to all the discussion logs, etc.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

Yeah, complete recordings of all the events is a must, and not hard to do :)
d3jake

Post by d3jake »

So how would it work? Everybody in the "room" has the same source code in front of them and types things\edits it while the "speaker of the room" talks about it, or is it lecture style? (I don't wanna have to take notes.... :P )
The Open Descent Foundation is always looking for programmers! http://www.odf-online.org
"I'll find out if what I deleted was vital here shortly..." -d3jake
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

d3jake wrote:So how would it work? Everybody in the "room" has the same source code in front of them and types things\edits it while the "speaker of the room" talks about it, or is it lecture style? (I don't wanna have to take notes.... :P )
That depends, we are still in the planning stages. In no way is this "close" to complete, so that can't be commented on yet.

And you won't have to take notes, because the whole conversation will be posted up on a logging website, and you can download the discussions anytime for free.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

General:

The future of irrlicht
Get some devs talking to some users on what they want added, then the idea goes through this processevaluated on:
-ease of implementation
-usefullness to other users
-technique of implementation
-does it follow the general irrlicht goals
-delegated to certain people to develop

Programming:
get some one to talk about stuff under the following, users can nominate and ask for what they want since forcing people to listen to things they are not interested in/ already know is boring.
Gamplay:

Graphics:

Net/physics/sound:

Other:

Art:

General art:

Gui:

To irrlicht converting:

Bascily the confrence should be audience driven. They request what they want to hear, people can be either nominated or volenteer to do the talking.
"Irrlicht is obese"

If you want modern rendering techniques learn how to make them or go to the engine next door =p
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

Yeah, that's basically what we are trying to do, and tried to start a little above we myself, FuzzySpoon, and MasterGod.

We are really, right now, more or less just getting down how we are going to accomplish this. Then it will be a matter of getting the subjects, developers contributing to this, etc.

Thanks for the inputs omaremad.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

I'm pretty sure it'd be a better idea to let the people hosting that particular time slot to choose whatever he wants to talk about, as long as he can claim some sort of link to Irrlicht. Remember, no one is any sort of authority in this, it's a community event and the community should be able to choose what it wants to talk about at that time.
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

They will be able to choose within reason. But remember, this was left open for about 1-2 months (I don't know the exact time) for someone to take control of. And it just so happens that FuzzySpoon was the person who took this responsibility, so I would like to say that he holds a certain bit of authority over this.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

Make it too restrictive and you'll have no one. I like FuzzySpoon and I have no trouble following his lead if he organize the event. But it's a COMMUNITY event, and was proposed as such from the start. Don't go power hungry when there's nothing to gain and much to lose. The more people come, the bigger winners we all are. No "reason" there that is someone's decision. No partisanism either there. I intend to host at least an event and attend many, but if you make it hell to pay, I'll just do something else and I'm ready to bet others will too. So, keep at organizers and forget any claim of authorities.
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

Sorry, but I sense no dictatorship ensueing from my harmless post. I even tried to sprinkle words in it that promoted harmlessness. Point out where you see any power hungry actions ensueing from, and I will take your post a little bit more seriously.

Honestly, if you are just looking to be preemptive, and to start a heated discussion, which you seem keen to, then please subside you controversial statements.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

"within reason" "he holds a certain bit of authority over this."

By who's decree?