The Robomaniac 3D Engine Foundation Contest 1

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
VPB

Post by VPB »

Underwhelming Responce, might i ask what i should change to get more people to join?
Maby give people much more time?
thesmileman

Post by thesmileman »

I am going to send something In a few seconds. Just spent like 2 hours on it, including all of the models. I was going to submit something different but I did not have time to finish it with summer school and everything. It is really simple but thought I would put up something since no one else did anything.

Funny thing I just used a template of Merciors newton demo I was working on. If you click the left mouse you can see my very sad attempt at understanding how to make his tutorial work with a shpere. He he he. It is awful code as I said I just including it in another test project but who cares.
Last edited by thesmileman on Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warui

Post by warui »

I didn't send my demo because of two things:
1) Lack of good idea (and i hate to submit something i'm not proud of)
2) I prefer to make things like games rather techdemos, which are about effects and fancy graphics and music, while not about giving fun.

How about a small game for a next competition ? Pong clone, jump'n'run, yet another pacman, ... :)
Tomasz Nowakowski
Openoko - www.openoko.pl
thesmileman

Post by thesmileman »

Alright here are sum pics of my submittion. A link to the CRAPPY code and project are below.

At least download it and run the file called ManyGolf.exe before you judge. Also I did not read the instructions too well so I hope it fits the discription. and yes I know it is NOT a game. Its just something relaxing(IMO).

I did all of the models myself.

Like I said I was going to have something better but time did not permit and since noone else submitted I pieced this together creating the palm tree models, land and water models, and the programming in two hours(I spent another hour trying to get it compressed so it would fit on my Coxmail account). The other models I used from a put-put game I am working in. I threw together all the code from part of my put-put code, Merciors newton tutorial code(Click left mouse for a good laugh) and cut and past audiere code. It ain't a game, it is just relaxing(At least to me) and hey it's better than you did cause you didn't turn in #@#@&*!!. :D

And Here is the code and project files:
http://members.cox.net/onedot/TheSmileManSubmission.rar
Robomaniac

Post by Robomaniac »

For all you lucky bastards who didn't get something in intime, heres your chance. Starting the 18th, i'll be going to a camp, and i'm getting back the 21st.

So, the deadline is extended till the 21st or 22nd, whichever one u feel like submitting on :)

Contest theme is no longer summer relaxation either, its more of a Create the Best looking Physics effect that can be used in a game. This will then be put into tutorial form and posted here/given to niko. Examples of effects include ragdoll (bound to a real model, not just boxes like the newton demo), cloth physics, liquid physics, etc. Tying into ragdoll would also be semi ragdollism (if you get hit in the arm with a bullet, the arm and torso goes ragdoll, but not the whole body)

It just needs to be one effect, and it doesn't have to be in a pretty level or anything. Simple, easy. Source must be included, and it can use any physics engine out there :)

Have fun and enjoy, prizes and rules are the same pretty much
The Robomaniac
Project Head / Lead Programmer
Centaur Force
thesmileman

Post by thesmileman »

So what about the one person who did submit, ME?
warui

Post by warui »

@Robomatic:
I think it's pretty unfair to change contest rules now. If you want, make a new one. But please, be fair to all "summer theme" submitters, event if it's only one person.
Tomasz Nowakowski
Openoko - www.openoko.pl
jox
Bug Slayer

Post by jox »

I agree!
Robomaniac wrote:Hurry up! Deadline is now whenever i get someones project in :)

1st one in (unless there are more) wins pretty much :\
... is what possibly inspired and motivated thesmileman. He made it, and so he should be the winner!
thesmileman

Post by thesmileman »

Has anyone download it and tried it? Anyone like it?

Also does anyone know why the shadows on the pom trees are sometimes very high on contrast (i.e. one polygon is black and the one right next to it is very light). It doesn't reem right and the same model loaded into another program will display it smoother.
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

I like it.

I made a mirror at http://eve-corp.com/mirror/TheSmileManSubmission.rar

For some reason, VC++ 2002 is not liking the solution file included.

What did you create it in?
Crud, how do I do this again?

Post by Guest »

I created in VC++ 2003. It should not be hard to create a default project in VC 2002 because the only project settings I set were the links to the lib files for Irrlicht, Audiere, and Newton and include files for each of the same. I can see if I can change it to an older more compatible format.
thesmileman

Post by thesmileman »

Sorry, that was me right above. I will try tonight but I am not sure that I can create an older project in VS.NET 2003. Can you run the project? you should be able to launch the ManyGolf.exe in the main directory. If you do get to run it you can see my said attempt to modify Merciors tutorial to work with a ball, just left click and watch the werid stuff that happens.
Robomaniac

Post by Robomaniac »

Ok, your right, sorry, i just wasn't really thinking then.

thesmileman wins the Summer Relaxation 2k4 demo and the prize included

The new contest (accepting prizes, etc) is due on the 22nd of august. Have fun, and enjoy!

[edit] I looked at and ran your demo tsm, ran fine, when i clicked the left mouse, nothing happened really, i just noticed a small blue sphere rolling around :) Is that what happens?
The Robomaniac
Project Head / Lead Programmer
Centaur Force
thesmileman

Post by thesmileman »

Yea I don't know why it should be effected by physics with a small push forward but I can not seem to figure out why it falls and then just rolls in circles. When I change the environment varibles sometime it seems to bounce around objects a little but then goes in circles and sometimes stops. I just worked for about an hour on the physics tutorial and I haven't read much in the newton API except for how to change the environment varibles so I probibly just need to read more.
thesmileman

Post by thesmileman »

saigumi, according to an article I found on the web a VS.NET 2003 solution can be backward compatible with a VS.NET 2002 solution by making the following changes:

1.) Open the VS .Net 2003 solution (.sln) file in any text-editor. At the top, there is a line that says Microsoft Visual Studio, Format Version 8.00
2.) Change the 8.00 to 7.00.
3.) Open the VS .Net 2003 project (.vbproj) file in a text editor. Scroll
down until you see something that says ProductVersion:
4.) Change ProductVersion = "X.X.XXXX" to "7.0.9466"
5.) Change SchemaVersion = "2.0" to "1.0"

Sound pretty easy and I would upload a fixed two files for you but the project and the picture are taking up all of the 10MB of my Cox.net storage. Sorry. Let me know if you are still having problems.

And Wahoooo to winning! Oh what do I need to do to get the webhosting. I know I need to get a domain but do I just need to send you that information when I get it? Thanks! :D