Ambient Occlusion Demo

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

XEffects renders the depth map for you correctly (By transforming the vertices first, as you are supposed to do), and provides a screen quad post processing interface. Take a look if you are interested.
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

Thanks Blindside, I did add the XEffects code in there and will start playing around with. Though I still need that additional front-pass integrated into the processing pipeline.

I have two screen rtts (1024x768) going on in there and surprisingly the FPS went up to 120.

Here's the screenshot showing XEffects in the postprocess.

512x512 screen rtt

1024x768 screen rtt

No Post Process
Last edited by dlangdev on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

dlangdev, speed up Blender's AO by changing it to approximate. It wont look quite as good, but its ALOT faster, (because you dont need raytrace turned on)and it will blend with a realtime AO'd objects better
Wow, that was nice, I had no idea there's another Occlusion tab hiding in there (Blender248). So I played around with approximate then went back to default tweaking the settings.

Definitely, I learned a lot from there and probably found the sweet spot for my taste.

Thanks a lot, oldSkool...that was nice.
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

Here is the depthmap pass in SSAO1...

and here is the adjusted color...

dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

Blindside, need your help here.

I got the normal saved in the gl_fragcolor as well. My intention is to render another color value using the normal. But the actual occlusion variable will be implemented using the ray-hemisphere method. I can only do that by sampling the normals and figuring out the occluders and escapers.

Can you post your comments, I need them badly. Thanks.

By the way, here is the screenshot of the 'bent' normal blended with depth. That's for show only, tho.

Ref:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums ... _id=469124

http://delivery.acm.org/10.1145/1290000 ... EN=6184618

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums ... _id=420469

http://perumaal.googlepages.com/

ftp://ftp.research.microsoft.com/pub/tr/TR-2006-81.pdf
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

You're on your own mate, I haven't looked into bent normals or ambient aperture lighting yet.
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

Thanks much for the help, really appreciate it. XEffects worked wonders and it pushed me farther up. So yeah, it's definitely cool.

I'm going to stop doing more research and coding and just focus on setting-up the next demo. I'm thinking of setting up a sample scene similar to Gears of War and put some of what I learned in there.

Screenshots shown below. I'll will mainly setup the ambient map first and focus on the diffuse and specular maps later.

dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

oldSkool: Quick question, I know you use Blender and would like to know how you setup a scene. Mine, I create the scene in Blender and export it to B3D. I'm wondering if there's any other way of doing it.

I'm interested in your comment.

Thanks.

BTW, here's the new sample scene made in Blender...

Halifax

Post by Halifax »

I like the look of that test level dlangdev, it looks very professional. I can't wait until you get it textured.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
oldskoolPunk

Post by oldskoolPunk »

yep b3d just like you :)

I bake color, shadow, and AO separately so I can work post on them, then blend them together in Gimp.

Here is a scene with only one texture. (color+AO + shadow). Notice to try to get the nice, prerendered lighting and shadows to match the fast ugly realtime lighting and shadows of the ball.

Very nice AO on your level there!
I can still see the speckles tho ! :)
Signature? I ain't signin nuthin!
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

Interesting stuff.

Thanks for the comment, I'll try that later.

I'm still working on setting-up the next test demo.

Eigen
Competition winner

Post by Eigen »

This is looking great! There's definitely an progress with your results from when you started. I mean, dang it .. ! :D
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

The ambient occlusion works miracles when correctly applied! :) After it is mixed with the specular and diffuse, it should have an impressive looking!
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

Thanks guys. I'm almost done modeling the scene and will switch to diffuse and specular textures next. I found one interesting tutorial that will help me, link shown below.

http://www.moddb.com/tutorials/building ... -photoshop

Basically, what I'm trying to do is learn how the textures in Gears of War were created.