ComineGL: Game Library for Learning Programming in C/C++

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
wahagn

Post by wahagn »

devetc wrote:Hello Wahagn,

If you suggest operations for the cominegl library, I will do my best to implement them.

Thanks for trying out the library and commenting on it. One of the goals of the library was to make it easy to explore new functions by browsing the functions using context sensitive help and trying them out.

-Devetc

Yes, I have tought of two things that noob game programmers maybe would like to have in their game:

- inventory boxes ( in rpg games)
- zoom possiblity (like for a sniper in an fps game)

now I think you already can make inventory boxes with this game library, but you have to code a lot so maybe you could make it easier to make inventory boxes and for the zoming: I don't think you can do that yet with the game library but it's not difficult for you to make it.. I think.., and it is not very important but the inventory boxes are a handy thing for game programmers.
“Any code of your own that you haven’t looked at for six or more months might as well have been written by someone else.”
(Eagleson’s Law)
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

wahagn, thats what gamemaker,fps creator, rpgbuilder is for....

Thats like, why not implementing a function that would create a game for you?

You need to start to think more low level functionality in order to make a library that would suite the needs for most type's of games.

wahagn I would like to see your reply.
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
wahagn

Post by wahagn »

serengeor wrote:wahagn, thats what gamemaker,fps creator, rpgbuilder is for....

Thats like, why not implementing a function that would create a game for you?

You need to start to think more low level functionality in order to make a library that would suite the needs for most type's of games.

wahagn I would like to see your reply.

You want me to reply :?: Now read and learn :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :

And why not make a game library that has a lot of handy funcutions in it for every type of game ( offcourse you can't have all handy funcutions in the first release but the newer the version the more handy things) so it will be easy to code :) and you still get the fun of coding + you're proud at what you made ( thats why I don't use fps creator or game maker because it's drag&drop (so no fun in coding) and you are not really proud at what you made because everyone else can too ) BTW: you still can give te opportunity to do low level coding for if they just want to (for fun) or because what they want to archieve isn't implented yet by the gamelibrary makers ( So actually everyone is happy the ) 8)
Last edited by wahagn on Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Any code of your own that you haven’t looked at for six or more months might as well have been written by someone else.”
(Eagleson’s Law)
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

So basically Drag & Drop is replaced by Copy&Paste :D
Kalango

Post by Kalango »

Well, actually gamemaker has a lot of coding. Its a script language and its quite cool for those who like it. I used to use it to make game prototypes...
Anyways... you wont learn anything if everyone do stuff for you. Even in gamemaker you ahve to program your own inventory screen stuff....
wahagn

Post by wahagn »

serengeor wrote:So basically Drag & Drop is replaced by Copy&Paste :D
:shock: :shock:
No... it's just a handy library with a lot of handy functions for programmers who want to code and be proud at what they can but arent able to learn 2 years C++/C just to make a simple app....

Ha.. take that ^^:twisted:

BTW: Why are you starting a stupid discussion?!! It's nonsens beacause actually you know I'm right and if you don't belong to that group programmers who need this type of library's don't start stupid discussions :roll: :?
(Eagleson’s Law)
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

It's not stupid, if you're not into learning to program, you shouldn't try to program games at all( use teh game maker ), besides learning basics of c++ could take up a month, but would be worthy a lot more than just doing stuff you don't really understand.

And this is just nonsense:
Years just to make a simple app....
AFAIK Games are not simple apps, they require a lot of knowledge to build, also a high level wrapper like this would make it very hard to tweak and customize.

I think game code like inventory box'es UI, 'sniper like zooming' should belong to the game not for the library.[/quote]
wahagn

Post by wahagn »

serengeor wrote:It's not stupid, if you're not into learning to program, you shouldn't try to program games at all( use teh game maker ), besides learning basics of c++ could take up a month, but would be worthy a lot more than just doing stuff you don't really understand.

And this is just nonsense:
Years just to make a simple app....
AFAIK Games are not simple apps, they require a lot of knowledge to build, also a high level wrapper like this would make it very hard to tweak and customize.

I think game code like inventory box'es UI, 'sniper like zooming' should belong to the game not for the library.
[/quote]

Just stop with this discussion and wait till devetc replies, beacause if he says : Now, I'm not going to make it tha detailed and want to stay with low level coding I'm O.K with that.. Because it don't make sense to me to argue with each other and btw: We can argue as long as we want but I think you agree with me that devetc is the person who is going to make the descision :roll:
(Eagleson’s Law)
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

and I'm pretty sure hes not going to make the library that high level, since what you ask is pretty much everything that game needs, so you could only put the code from pieces and There you have a Complete game!.
slavik262

Post by slavik262 »

Please do not use size 18, bold font. There's rarely any reason for it, and it requires unnecessary scrolling.
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

slavik262 wrote:Please do not use size 18, bold font. There's rarely any reason for it, and it requires unnecessary scrolling.
Your mouse needs more scroll power :lol:
slavik262

Post by slavik262 »

My point is that it takes up more space than it needs to.
Kalango

Post by Kalango »

ANYWAYS...
IF you want to learn programming, become a good game programmer and make living out of it this is not the path for you. You'll get addicted to people doing things for you and you wont be able to build things on your own.
IF you want just to make games as a hobbie, without profiting with it and ithout concerning about your public you can use tools/makers/handy libraries that make things easier for you.
I say this because i've been there... its a awfull thing to say you know C++ and the only thing you really know is to rely on snippets and copy/paste, you wont get a job with this and you will get frustated when you try to make something more complex. People CAN use functions and snipets to make things more suitable for them, but you must not always expect everything will be already done for you o use, because everytime you need something new or different you will post here and ask for this and that and so on....
Its all up to what you want with programming. Dont get confortable with others work when you can make it your own, better and more suitable to your needs.
This is an advice man... dont take it too rough.

PS: When devetc asked your help to build the engine i guess he was expecting that you build your sugestions on your own and putting it in the library, not just asking stuff and making him work harder....
macron12388

Post by macron12388 »

May I suggest;

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2126

No coding experience required.
wahagn

Post by wahagn »

You don't understand waht I'm looking for so let my explain it:

1. @ Kalongo : Yes I want to make a apps as a hobby not job

and you said I could use handy libraries, now If you you know something like that so a handy game library where you have to code yourself but it isn't too difficult ( something like this cominegl library) I would like tohave a look at it... :)

2. @ macron12388: That's what I'm saying all the time... :? I don't want to use that sort of tools because i want to code + be proud at what I made...

so like this:

1- I dont like tools like FPS crator , game maker etc.... because I think it isn't challenging enough

2-I don't like to spend lots of time on c++ and I think it's too Challenging

So I want something that is more challengin as 1 but not as challenging as 2.. and a handy library with more easy and handy pre-made functions than some of the other libraries would be somthing what I am looking for. <- I have searched the internet for somthing like this and I think this comingl library comes a bit closer to what I described before than other libraries.
(Eagleson’s Law)