Virtual City

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
don_Pedro

Post by don_Pedro »

Sorry, I cannot estimate anything, many things changed last time. The engine is now growing to be commercial, it sounds scarry ;), but it will be anyway available free for everyone, don't be afraid ;). I just don't know when it will be. The code is now being rewrited and redesigned, it won't use Irrlicht anymore. There's much to do, I think it will take long moths until first full release.
after-life

Post by after-life »

if you say it wont use irrlicht, do you mean it renders everything itself, as in it is its own engine?
don_Pedro

Post by don_Pedro »

Yes it's going to be independent 3d engine, but it will be made in steps, not at once. Some 3rd party libraries including Irrlicht will be still used for some time, but will be replaced with engine's own code little by little.
Club

Post by Club »

Maybe units aren't handled by your specific engine but I pop the question anyway.

Would it be possible to have a very large number of citizens in a town with this engine? I mean, as long as they are only drawn if they are in view (which irrlicht handles automatically), this shouldn-t be to cpu-heavy right? I know all disitions and pathfinding will eat resources as normally but what would be a very roughly aproximated MAX_CITIZENS_WALKING_ABOUT on an average machine?

Thanks
Club
Fred

Post by Fred »

The number depends on the polygon count of each model, the texture size, the speed of the graphics card, the processor speed, how well non-visible objects are culled (I've read Irrlicht isn't too good at this) etc.

So the answer is - "it depends". There is no definite max.
SilentFuture

Post by SilentFuture »

@Club

If you want to have every person with a specified way and its own story, it will be dificult, as the cpu-power is limiting the number.

But if you only want that it "looks" lika a very populated city you can do it with a trick. As you have said only render the People (NPC's) if they are in range of the player and can be seen. You can set up waypoints on the streets wich the AI follows automaticly if they where spawned. So you can check where the player is and then spawn new npc's arround. If the player is to far away, delete the npc.

You can optimice this when you make an array in memory and set it to a specified number (lets say 50 npc's should be arround every time). As the memory is allocated, you have only to change the position of the npc if it is out of range. You can also test the machine how many npc's it can handle and then set the max number depending on the machine posebileties.
Club

Post by Club »

Ok this is obviously very speculative, but in a multiplayer-game, if each player has 50guys close to him drawn, would that matter? I mean i have my 50guys drawn, fine. But two other players also have it("their" guys are only drawn on their computers). Would that slow down my computer?
Dances

Post by Dances »

Not at all, however the position and action of the 50 guys would probably be a rather major bandwidth hog

Post by Guest »

In a singleplayer game it can be used without any problem, but if you want this in a multiplayer game you have to choose what you want to do. If you want that there are 50 people arround the player every time and that every player see the same position it will kill your bandwith as every npc has to be syncroniced with each client. But if you not want that the positions of the npc's are the same on every client, use it like in a singleplayer one and let it be only clientside.
Dougal

Error?

Post by Dougal »

The program displays a 1frame flash of the model then displays a light blue screen with some 2d elements in the bottom corner - like the city wasn't ever there...

Can anyone help?
Dougal

Error?

Post by Dougal »

The program displays a 1frame flash of the model then displays a light blue screen with some 2d elements in the bottom corner - like the city wasn't ever there...

Can anyone help?
Dougal

Error?

Post by Dougal »

Can anyone help?
Dougal

Post by Dougal »

Sorry dunno how that happened.
playerdark

Post by playerdark »

I would be interested in knowing why you dont use Irrlicht anymore. I am new to Irrlicht but find it very intriguing and am currently checking it out in order to use it in my own project. So what reasons do you have to move away from it?
pix0l

That's badass!

Post by pix0l »

Very good work! You've inspired me to work harder. Very impressive for an amature project.