Pimp irrlicht website

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.

Do you think the irrlicht page needs a new design and better screenshots?

Yes
85%
No
8%
I dont care about it
6%

Total votes: 130

Nox

Post by Nox »

by the way. SF supports phpBB3 as a allready setup feature ;)
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

Nox wrote:by the way. SF supports phpBB3 as a allready setup feature ;)
There's no import feature, so we'd lose everything.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Nox

Post by Nox »

Well, just ask the supportteam. I guess they are abled to import a backup :) .
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

Nox wrote:Well, just ask the supportteam. I guess they are abled to import a backup :) .
Worth a try :wink: ..
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

I forgot i didnt post this yet,

This is a simpler, more direct and lighter template. the darker header always looks better imo, so i made the content section lighter. maybe this helps show that a site design can be made anything we want?

ps, i also neatened layout a bit
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

hmm imo if you want a dark background i suggest make the whole page dark and change the font color to white instead? just my 2 cents
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

Yea virion, apparently dark isnt preferred (tho it looks much better).
The white example was just to make a bit of noise while i prepare a better example.
PI

Post by PI »

I wanted to say: what for? until I've seen the image above. I want it!!! :)
remixedcat

Post by remixedcat »

Darker themes are more sense pleasing and easy on the eyes and relaxing. They also convey more emotion then plain white pages. Also the same theme of fisher price web 2.0 (white background/grey/skyblue elements with gradients everywhere and xp icons)look is overused and boring (and your company's image looks boring and cold).

fuzzyspoon's example is both modern and classy looking. Looks friendly and has an attitude at the same time. I think it would be the best.

Black is normally associated with emotion, class and sophistication.
xray

Post by xray »

Darker themes are ... and easy on the eyes and relaxing.
Thats definitely not true, and exactly the other way. Black text on white background is better for the eyes.
interfiction

Post by interfiction »

As a new-ish user to the Irrlicht clan, I thought I'd add my opinion to the pile.

I can definitely say that the major issue for me with the website was tutorials or documentation. The current tutorials are fantastic but, as Irrlicht is an advanced piece of machinery, even more would be better than a splash of paint; I have no trouble finding info that is actually there. I can definitely see that the forums are filled with numerous repeated questions from users, even some who aren't so new.

Otherwise, cheers for such a good engine!
remixedcat

Post by remixedcat »

xray wrote:
Darker themes are ... and easy on the eyes and relaxing.
Thats definitely not true, and exactly the other way. Black text on white background is better for the eyes.
people are exposed to too much white. It is extremely bland for every site to have the same colors. You don't have a distinct image and you fade away.

sci-fi channel was cool. they had a nice purple and black themed site and it was pretty.

they become syfy and thier site reminds me of a tampon company's page in both logo and design.

Nintendo did the same thing. they wanted to become like apple did with design and they are loosing thier gamers alot( also becuase they want to be mainstream they lost the hardcore gamers). they became bland just like apple. they lost thier fun image they used to have. hell they changed thier bold red logo and made it grey!

Sourceforge even had a very distinct logo that looked edgy with the stylised "o" and no one duplicated it. Now thier logo looks very close to youtubes and their site looks like any other plain old 2.0 site.

think of people who cannot figure out what a site was called and they want to look for it. imagine not being able to find a site becuase you remembered it by its look. well if all sites look the same then you cannot find it again.

pepsi changed thier image and I had one woman at wal-mart think it was cheap knockoff! She thought it was cause she had a diffcult time finding the pepsi. They had to readvertise thier brand because I see banner ads all over the town I live in. pepsi had a distinct image and people related to it well. they changed it and the response is not so good. Also it looks colder and more like a swedish ISP/Host I once did business with. The old ribbons logo they use for the throwbacks looks more down to earth and you can relate to it much better.

people are sacrificing thier awesome distinct looks in the form of iaccessability and whitewashing. it is pretty stupid IMO becuase you loose your edge and you look just like joe 2.0 instead of PWNage industries!
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

Lets not debate this too extensively,

a) just saying something doesnt make it fact (like saying white is easier on the eyes)

b) bitplane has made a point to me over time that comes up over and over again.

You do not want to look like a bunch of wannabe gamers acting all flashy and cool with a tricked out site when thats not what we are. The engine represents a HUGE base of users, and the hardcore games can move along if a website determines their importance of reality.

Also, any site design should be objective and sensical, catering for as many as possible. (ESPECIALLY, the target audience). Quite frankly the target audience IS NOT 14 year old gamer geeks who like shiny web 2.0 features on a site. The target is a lot more wide ranged and diverse, and the new site will reflect this. If a more well targeted site design offends any user they shouldnt be on the internet, let alone the irrlicht site.

Reminder : Irrlicht is a graphics rendering engine, and is used in a multitude of industries. Not just games.
remixedcat

Post by remixedcat »

I took color therapy (3 month course) and psychology classes (2 years) LOLz. :P

but I am fine with the current look though. it's distinct and changing the image all the time is not good.
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

I took color therapy (3 month course) and psychology classes (2 years) LOLz.
Iv got a medal out back, its under the noone cares book for beginners.

Color therapy was not the point i argued against, nor was psychology. The overall LOOK has to represent the engine as a professional entity, and making it look like a gaming clan or some other kind of "we are so awesome right now" mentality crowd, shouldnt happen.

Again, its an opinion, and i know that the people making the decisions are already aware of all these things :)
I was iterating it for the sake of the readers of this thread so they dont misunderstand why i posted that image in the first place.