Remaking the irrlicht's fairy

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
jotatsu

Post by jotatsu »

Update im giving it a more agressive tone with some kind of evil accesory - armor, because at first i thought "irrlicht" was some kind of fairy like spirit, but reading a little more it looks like its a evil - mad one. Polys are going high and high XD, 3.700 for now, probably gonna hit 4k. I updated the wing texture and probably gonna update some body parts too so the cloth doesnt look "stick" to the skin. The seams can be corrected by overpainting the texture, i tested i works ok.

As for the normal-binormal-tangent calculation, it has indeed flaws, the polygons look a little "cut" when the normal map is applied but it looks better than the implemented one :twisted: . Im searching a more smooth algorithm approach, probably need to modify the normals tho.

I upload the update later, im still chopping the old hands and sticking the new ones jeje.
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

Don't worry too much on the polycount. Most "next gen" characters hit the 10K triangles at the first LOD. Their High poly counterpart hit the millions of polys

Look here from old screens of UNREAL engine 3:
Low poly: 5,287 poly, UV mapped

And High poly:
2 millions poly!!!

The technique I'm usign right now, is to go to the high poly, and model without any limits, do a really fast UV on this one (just check that no UV are overlapping). Once the model is looking great, then I model a low poly version of it, setup the UV as best as I can and then bake the details of the high poly over it (normal map, and others).

Look what their 5K poly model look inside the engine with all the baking done:
jotatsu

Post by jotatsu »

anyone know how to paint textures, i suck :P
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

You can look at an app like 3d Coat

Blender, Modo, etc can all do 3d painting (its easier than painting in photoshop sometimes) ;p
kvakvs

Post by kvakvs »

christianclavet wrote:Don't worry too much on the polycount. Most "next gen" characters hit the 10K triangles at the first LOD. Their High poly counterpart hit the millions of polys

Look here from old screens of UNREAL engine 3:
Low poly: 5,287 poly, UV mapped
And High poly:
2 millions poly!!!
That model is probably painted in ZBrush or similar 3d artistic program.
ZBrush stores model in different format, something like sparse octree, and those millions of polys are generated by ZBrush when you export the model. It is quite compact, when stored in native octree format.

Models like this are actually standing on the edge between two technologies - triangle rasterization (current technology supported by all hardware) and 3d voxel raytracing (presumably next generation). Working examples of this technology exist, but far from being as detalized and fast, as hardware accelerated rasterized renderers.
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

That model is MAX geometry. Normally Z-brush keeps the models into one single mesh, but that example from UE3 is a mesh created entirely in MAX, and then, the Normals are baked into the low poly version.

It uses a subdivision approach, the model has a bit less resolution, and MAX creates the rest of the topology subdividing it and smoothing the result. Quite a remarkable example!
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
Jookia

Post by Jookia »

Is it too later to make clothing a seperate node?
Abraxas)

Post by Abraxas) »

^^^^ Duke Nukem 3D style plz.
jotatsu

Post by jotatsu »

Has been really busy to finish this one, probably return with some work in the weekends :D
macron12388

Post by macron12388 »

MasterGod wrote:Amazing idea! Good thinking..

2. I would also like bigger melons 8).
WOOHH Hohohooh Now, let's slow down a bit shall we? hehe :lol:
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

you can also leave the .blend along with the new demo
in this way people can easily learn how to animate if they see some preanimated model.

good work. ;-)
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me