Pimp irrlicht website

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.

Do you think the irrlicht page needs a new design and better screenshots?

Yes
85%
No
8%
I dont care about it
6%

Total votes: 130

xray

Post by xray »

"Comments: Black text on a plain background elicited reliably faster reading performance than on a medium-textured background. When compared to reading light text on a dark background, people read black text on a white background up to thirty-two percent faster. In general, the greater the contrast between the text and background, the easier the text is to read."

http://www.usability.gov/pdfs/chapter11.pdf

...the first two sides.
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

Thats some good reading xray, thanks.

I was teasing btw (hence the :P)

:P
xray

Post by xray »

Nope you were right. These facts needed a basement. :)

cheers
remixedcat

Post by remixedcat »

easy reading yes but boring. :P

just business look does not make people thrilled to be on your site.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

Look at all the websites of the most popular open source projects (head over to sourceforge and take a look), they're all dark text on a light background. Regardless of readability it's an issue of fashion and building trust, people expect a certain look from an open source software project which takes itself seriously. If we were selling games or movies it would make sense to be a flash heavy and noisy with stylized text on a dark background, because this is what people expect from such sites.

Giving people what they expect builds trust. What they expect from an open source API is a light background with dark text, clean, quick to display and with minimal fluff.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
remixedcat

Post by remixedcat »

ok ok whatevz. You open source people are really hardcore serious about the sites look. LOLz. people wanted debian to overhaul thier site and mass wars happened about it. people wanted them to slick it up and people go on the prowl about it. I guess it's part of its identity as well. as long as it's not too bad of a crisis to happen. LOLz. It's pretty funny though.

I also have issues trusting skype becuase thier site looks like a kindergärtner's drawing and style (you honestly expect to find a unicorn and care bears there!). I don't take the fisher price looking sites seriously :P and skype shows it by not having a renew subscription button on thier site, horrible support and still vista issues after all this time,infamous "not remembering audio settings" bug, etc.. but they have twitter/facebook/myspace pages that people could care one less of a iota about.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

I think we should take design tips from http://maddox.xmission.com/
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
remixedcat

Post by remixedcat »

OMG I've been looking for that site for a long time! Thanks for finding the link! (ads to favs)
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

I don't take the fisher price looking sites seriously
Us neither! Luckily professionalism != childish.

lol blindside, what about your design,submit one!
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

"Irrlicht is obese"

If you want modern rendering techniques learn how to make them or go to the engine next door =p
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Bump. Let's keep this going people. If you let this topic die we'll NEVER get around to revamping the website.
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
xray

Post by xray »

Well hybrid told me that you admins plan to integrate a cms system switching to php etc. in the end of this year, and that it could be that if someone creates a new design now this new one could be thrown away. So in my opinion it is better to wait until the changes you want to make are clear and then make a webdesign competition.
jotatsu

Post by jotatsu »

Well i want to submit my design for consideration, its a black simple and proffesional.

I think it will attrack people over the project.
xray

Post by xray »

exactly what we need :D
Lil Margin

Post by Lil Margin »

LMAO @ "what buffer size" XD
(LMAO "REALISTIC NIPPLE SHADER integrated XD")
but personaly i find that template pure genious :P