XEffects - Reloaded - New Release (V 1.4)

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Sinsemilla

Re: XEffects - Reloaded - New Release (V 1.3)

Post by Sinsemilla »

Hi there,

Really nice work. :D I implemented the water shader into my project, but the water doesn't move.
Has anybody an idea how the get the waves moving? Probably i am doing something wrong...

I am using Irrlicht 1.7.2 and an NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT on Linux Mint 12 (OpenGL) .

Thanks in advance.
mongoose7

Post by mongoose7 »

I guess you haven't looked at the shader?

I guess you haven't even noticed the file waterNormal.png?

Where am I going with this? Well, the appearance of waves derives from the normal map. There is no algorithm that will get you from a static image for the normals to dynamically varying normals having the appearance of real water. You will have to look elsewhere for moving water. Maybe the Internet?
benzpinto

Post by benzpinto »

Hi, the link to download XEffects seems to be dead. Can someone provide an active link. Thanks in advance.
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

You can download it from:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/8lpzoq

cheers,
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
benzpinto

Post by benzpinto »

Nadro wrote:You can download it from:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/8lpzoq

cheers,
Hi Nadro, thanks for the link! I've been working on a demo using Irrlicht and realize that the AddShadowVolumeSceneNode slows down my pc when added to many meshes on screen. So i've been looking for an alternative shadow effect. I'm wondering why the feature to generate shadows efficiently like in XEffects is not added into Irrlicht natively?
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Fixed download link. Thanks Nadro :D

The reason it takes XEffects a while to get integrated is because the hard part is not in the shader code or the graphics, it's in the design of a system that will support all the platforms Irrlicht aims at, and is both easy to use and high quality. XEffects as a framework does ok for this, but IMO not up to the standard that's fit for integration into Irrlicht, and also because the system will have to be integrated with SLight, ILightSceneNode, etc.

Cheers,
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
robmar

Post by robmar »

Is Xeffects still available somewhere?

I´d like to see the code for effect->getDepthMapTexture() ... i.e. videoDriver->draw2DImage( effect->getDepthMapTexture(), position2di( 0,0 ) );
mongoose7

Post by mongoose7 »

It's *not* the depth buffer. The pixel shader writes depth information into a texture.
sio2
Competition winner

Post by sio2 »

Tweaks/fixes for CScreenQuad.h. Tested with all examples in GL and D3D.

Code: Select all

#ifndef H_XEFFECTS_SQ
#define H_XEFFECTS_SQ

// Based on "CBaseFilter" by ItIsFree.
// Original thread: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9857

// Cleaned-up by SiO2: removed redundant vertexes and fixed index list.

#include <irrlicht.h>

class CScreenQuad
{
public:
        CScreenQuad()
        {
                Material.Wireframe = false;
                Material.Lighting = false;
                Material.ZWriteEnable = false;

Vertices[0] = irr::video::S3DVertex(-1.0f,-1.0f,0.0f,0,0,1,irr::video::SColor(0x0),0.0f,1.0f);
                Vertices[1] = irr::video::S3DVertex(-1.0f, 1.0f,0.0f,0,0,1,irr::video::SColor(0x0),0.0f,0.0f);
                Vertices[2] = irr::video::S3DVertex( 1.0f, 1.0f,0.0f,0,0,1,irr::video::SColor(0x0),1.0f,0.0f);
                Vertices[3] = irr::video::S3DVertex( 1.0f,-1.0f,0.0f,0,0,1,irr::video::SColor(0x0),1.0f,1.0f);
        }

virtual void render(irr::video::IVideoDriver* driver)
        {
                const irr::u16 indices[6] = {0, 1, 2, 0, 2, 3};

driver->setMaterial(Material);
                driver->setTransform(irr::video::ETS_WORLD, irr::core::matrix4());
                driver->drawIndexedTriangleList(&Vertices[0], 4, &indices[0], 2);
        }

virtual irr::video::SMaterial& getMaterial()
        {
                return Material;
        }   

irr::video::ITexture* rt[2];

private:
        irr::video::S3DVertex Vertices[4];
        irr::video::SMaterial Material;
};

#endif
aburt11

Post by aburt11 »

im sorry but do i have to add his sources to my project for me to be able to use them or is there an additive library?
mongoose7

Post by mongoose7 »

There is no library. You could create one, or put all the sources into one file. And some of the shaders are outside the source.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Yep sorry about that, I tried to keep it lightweight so it's not a pain to include the sources.

Cheers,
jwatson1993

Post by jwatson1993 »

Sorry if this has already been resolved elsewhere, but I haven't seen this anywhere else in the thread. I downloaded the link, got the vc solutions up and running, the only problem i'm running in to is that it only allows one light. More specifically, the shader only makes use of the last light that I add to the effect handler. I didn't change any of the code(besides to make the paths to the assets work), and it is probably not a hardware problem, because I ran the example1.exe from the /bin and it rendered both lights fine. I definitely used the R(1.3) link, so I don't know why this is happening. Any idea why this would happen?

Also, thanks, it's an awesome shader, I just want to be able to use every feature that you took the time to put into it.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Hey mate sorry for the late reply. Is this happening just in your code or when you recompile the examples also? If it works when you compile the examples then try to compare and see what the difference might be, otherwise you can post a small piece of code on here that illustrates the problem and I can take a look.

Cheers,
Bonaducci

Post by Bonaducci »

Unfortunately, Xeffects 1.3 is not working with irrlicht 1.8 alpha. I hope that it will be fixed after 1.8 stable release :)