LOTR Project *** 1st Release ***

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Chriz

Post by Chriz »

What about converting it to an online game? i know that would be almost impossible cause of heavy work - but it would be cool!
Maize

Post by Maize »

Honestly? That is the stupidest thing dawasw could do. There is enough people trying to make online rpgs and a finished single player rpg is better than that.
Bryan Abrams

Post by Bryan Abrams »

Maize wrote:Honestly? That is the stupidest thing dawasw could do. There is enough people trying to make online rpgs and a finished single player rpg is better than that.
Honestly? Please, explain how that is stupid. That's like saying anybody trying to make a game at all is wasting their time because everybody makes games :roll:. It never hurts to try something.

Any how, this project is looking nice, good job.
boboS

Post by boboS »

Well sometimes is better to learn from others mistakes. Everyone wants a cool game but when you go in deeper programming you realize that is to hard. I have notices that Online RPG are the favorite subjects here. First you need to make a complete functionable game and after that try to make it online. Look around, learn from others.
As your ship is going down
ll stand by and watch you drown
dawasw

Post by dawasw »

Thank you for your comments.

This is a Single Player game. I like mmorpg's because I played/play games like WoW/ MuOnline/ Guild Wars / Knight Online /Lineage 2 and few others titles. They are really the best game types I have ever played.

But there are games which are also great as mmorpg's but single player. For example for me Diablo and Diablo II or Morrowind are my personal favourite games. And I remember that Single player games were first. I think that the first great massive online game was Ultima Online. And yes, even today it is a great game.

Also I don't like in mmorpg's the payments or the online problems. Some people don't have net, or have it very slow. Sometimes you can't play your game online because there are server problems etc. There are a lot of disadvantages; and I won't mention the hacks! You can get really nervous and mad when you meet some annoying people online - yeah it is funny to fight 'by words', but when someone will flame you for a long time it is a bit 'annoying'.

So this is my main goal to make such great game in LOTR world fully single player !

I agree with boboS - you are exacly right. I can think for a multiplayer up to 4 or 8 people (like in Diablo etc.) on a Lan play. That would be cool.
But I will not say anything about multiplayer at the moment, because firstly - this is a Single Player game, which will be a bit 'similiar' to WoW/Diablo (but remember it is an amateur project and I'm not an expert); secondly - I don't have too much knowledge on rakNet right now , but I have seen this great tool(rakNet) to make connections and I think that I might use it in the future.

PS Omaremad sorry that I used that I only wanted to use something transparent to make some test :D
omaremad_

Post by omaremad_ »

i was kind of surprised you found the link to that game i dont where it is now sice i done a format plz gimme the link(i cant believe iam asking for my own game)
dawasw

Post by dawasw »

Hehe! That is funny :D
Here you go:

http://uk.geocities.com/omar.emad@btinternet.com/

I'm glad I could help :)
Don't worry I also forget about many many things.

Also I haven't answered your PM yet. Sorry I was busy.
Right now I haven't implemented any keyBidings config yet.
That is because when I was working on Save/Load game from xml file it have given me many problems I will have to solve.
But I have moved from irrlicht 0.9 version to 0.12 so it should work great now. (I hope :P)

Anyway I will have to work on save/load functions because it is very important to save & load: position, level, characterisctics, race, skills/spells, items, quests (or quest log) etc. etc.

Talk to you later =],
Dawasw
Maize

Post by Maize »

Bryan Abrams wrote:That's like saying anybody trying to make a game at all is wasting their time because everybody makes games :roll:.
No its not at all like that. It isn't a waste of time unless you are trying to replicate existing games that you will never be able to do. Thats why I like this project and the gopher fps so much.

Post by Guest »

Sorry for being away for so long and not having a list of items, weapons and armor... I have had some troubles... with Internet access... well I had problems doing homework which led to me loosing Internet access… I’m not sure when I’ll have Internet back full time, I only have it temporarily.

P.S. good work on the game release I haven’t been able to play it yet… but I look forward to it.

~SenVa
dawasw

Post by dawasw »

SenVa is that you as a guest above ? :D

I know what you mean with 'not- studying - penalty' ;)

Project is REALLY! back on the track.

To prove this here is a new changelog with screenshots of the last version I have made today:

---------------------------------------

Update -> 13.01.2006:

- There is a whole BRAND NEW (WoW Similiar!) and very, very nice User Interface.
It is in it's final stage.
It will only get minimap working later and few effects Icons later. (for example when you mount horse - an horse icon will appear , same for spell effects).
It is not only giving the game professional look, but playing the game with skillpanel is really awesome thing now (to use tactics etc. by setting up shortcuts and pressing 1 - 10 keys) - working - 100%

- Minimap included with new interface will be finished later, it is not working at the moment

- Added a few low poly trees for tests and everything is excellent (it is not a forest though, I will make later some randomized trees 'placement' function)

---------------------------------------

Here are promised screenshots:

Thanks for reading this post and LOTR news & thanks to everyone interested to the project,
Dawasw

PS Please write comment how do you like new User Interface :D (I hope someone will like it ;) )
dawasw

Post by dawasw »

Also I'm very sorry for poor quality of images, but those are .jpg's.

In game new interface looks excellent than on these screens ;)
needforhint

Post by needforhint »

the game crashes when I try to skip the opening animation :!:
windows XP
and it is soooo long animation... will wait for the repaired version
what is this thing...

Post by Guest »

the link on megaupload is broke....!
SenVa

Post by SenVa »

Yes I wrote the guest post above (well 2 above, not the one directly above). I am finishing up all the lists I was making and I’ll post them as soon as possible.
dawasw

Post by dawasw »

@ SenVa

I also have limited acces to internet atm. (same problem like yours SenVa :D)

@ needforhint & guest

Sorry for this first test version. Everything will changed in the next release, which will be an alpha.

Please wait with patience.

Also that I'm avaible to be online only at weekends news will be not to often, but every weekend there should be a big piece of news. (also I didn't make any progress today, because I had to study etc.)

Thanks for all interested into the project,
Dawasw