Jirr/Irrlicht Java Web Start Test page

Discussion about Irrlicht's Java wrapper
saigumi

Jirr/Irrlicht Java Web Start Test page

Post by saigumi »

I just made a page to test the Java Web Start to deploy a Jirr/Irrlicht based application. It works for me in Flock (Firefox-based browser) but not IE on Windows XP SP2 with Java 1.5.0_02 installed.

I am still setting up the installer to handle Linux, but have to compile Jirr and all that over first, so this is Windows only at the moment.

Once I get that done, I'll have a full write-up on setting all this up. It's been a long trip so far with Ant, Jirr, Java SDK's, getting security keys, setting up classpaths and jars, and all that other fun stuff.

This is basically an Irrlicht implementation of some things I found in the book Developing Games in Java - http://www.brackeen.com/javagamebook/

If you can give it a shot on your PC to see if it works on your PC and isn't just working miraculously only on mine, I'd appreciate it:
http://www.saigumi.net/jirr/jirrwebstart.jnlp

If you don't have Java 1.4 or higher installed, you can get that from http://java.sun.com or even lighter, just grab the webstart component at http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/aut ... on=1,4,0,0

Tell me what OS and browser you are using and if anything happened. From everything I read, it should be fine on anything Mozilla or IE based, but like I said, IE just isn't doing it.

Basically, you should get a loader, it will download about 3 megs of files. One jar with my actual class and Jirr and another with the Windows DLLs. After that, it will present a certificate from Thawte. If don't have faith in me, stop now and cancel as I will admit that accepting your certificate allows the code to run. You should then get a grey blank screen. That is the test application. If everything got to that point: Woo-hoo!
Crud, how do I do this again?
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

Windows xp pro media edition sp2
IE sp something
amd athlon 64 3700+ proc
1.0 gb ram

Worked perfectly. :) Got the cert, told it NO WAY!!.. just kidding, accepted the cert, got a grey window. :)
Can't wait to see how you did this.
If it exists in the real world, it can be created in 3d

Sys specs:
AMD 3700+ 64 processor
1.0 gb ram
e-Geforce 6600 graphics 256 mb onboard ram
roninmagus

Post by roninmagus »

Worked perfectly for me! Nice work.

**dreams of writing the next runescape....**
daveandrews.org - A Christian Programmer's Weblog | Dusty Engine - A Task Engine for Irrlicht
dhenton9000

Post by dhenton9000 »

worked okay
firefox AMD 3 gig
java 1.52 (latest as of last week)
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

Thanks for giving it a go. I got this to run on my Windows 2003 box using Firefox 1.5 and IE6 with JRE 1.4.2, as well as my work PC, XP SP and IE6 - JDK 1.4.1_02.

Looks like IE on my main machine is just broken. I can't go to any web page with it it all. I don't use it, so it probably has been that way for a while.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

works nicely on my boxes :D :

desktop,desktop,laptop
win2k, winxp home, winxp pro
amd2600, amd3200 (32 bits),P4 2.66
1gb ram, 1gb, 512 mb
JRE 1.5.0_06-b05
Firefox

:wink:
I bet it works on linux as well!

Edit: It worked on both FF and IE. After loading the 2.5 Mb jar file it then asks for permission to run it and in both browsers the Irr window is loaded.
Very nice.

I thought it was supposed to be embedded in the browser; instead it's a floating window. :wink:
Last edited by afecelis on Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

The deployer should work in Linux, the problem is I don't have DLLs included for Jirr in Linux as there aren't any yet and I haven't gotten it to compile yet. So, the actual application being deployed is Windows only.

It deploys everything needed in it's own workspace, irrlicht.dll and such.

I posted the rough draft of the tutorial.

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... 0349#60349
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Wow, that's cool. Is this actually an Irrlicht Window == IrrlichtDevice? Maybe this would be a nice alternative for all those people who asked me to create an IE activeX plugin to make Irrlicht run from the web. Very nice.
BTW: Worked with IE 6 without problems, my opera 8.0 without java simply downloads the jnlp-file, but's that's what I would expect anyway :)
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

Stefan sent me some info that pushed development over the top. He had the complete Techdemo running via Java Webstart and I got the tip I needed for loading the resources (images, meshes) out of the JARs.

I am working on the remainder of the tutorial to account for this.
Dark Rain

Post by Dark Rain »

firefox 1.5

It's loading and I get the java web start loading it etc and then I get a window appear but it's just a gray window with nothing in it. I assume it wasn't meant to be just that or maybe I'm wrong?
Conquistador

Post by Conquistador »

Pretty sweet, almost makes me wanna learn Java.
Royal Hamilton Light Infantry - http://www.rhli.ca
Paris/Port Dover Pipes'n Drums - http://www.parisdover.ca
sRc

Post by sRc »

Dark Rain wrote:firefox 1.5

It's loading and I get the java web start loading it etc and then I get a window appear but it's just a gray window with nothing in it. I assume it wasn't meant to be just that or maybe I'm wrong?
lol i was thinking that same way. he said up there that's all he did, its working fine for you too dark rain :)
The Bard sRc

Blog | Twitter
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

I have everything but the key working.
Umm, could you pretend I have absolutely no clue how to do command line stuff and explain that part to me please?? (actually, I never have used a comand line for anything.)
If it exists in the real world, it can be created in 3d

Sys specs:
AMD 3700+ 64 processor
1.0 gb ram
e-Geforce 6600 graphics 256 mb onboard ram
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

MikeR, I'll illuminate that more in my rewrite. I wanted to make it simple, down to near the cut and paste level. Most helpful guides are like that.

In other news, with the tip from Stefan. I got the entire Irrlicht Techdemo running. The cavaet is that it requires Java 1.5. But don't fret if you only have 1.4, for the installer should auto update you to 1.5.

http://www.saigumi.net/jirr/jirrwebstart.jnlp

And this is what everything should look like...

Note, this opens a plain old Irrlicht device... 374 FPS...

juangamnik

Post by juangamnik »

Works for me, too. Seems to use the software renderer. Can it use directX, Fullscreen??? Where is the tutorial you mentioned. Where do I get Jirr? I only found a java binding that had another name and it seemed not to be very nice...

fg,
jonny.
You can divide men into 10 different groups. Peoble either think binary or not. ;)
Pardon my English. Corrections are welcome.