ATMOsphere

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Pazystamo

Post by Pazystamo »

Thanks for good replys :) But i have to find way to make it beter quality(i think ist texture fault). I almost made texture interpolation and now i need to decide to use it or not. It is quite good with simple uv reseting so i think its not worth to make interpolation(texture rescale).Now i need to sinchonize sun with sky color and ambient color.
My project in forum- ATMOsphere - new dynamic sky dome for Irrlicht
TheRLG

Post by TheRLG »

I just messed around with the textures some, and I think with a little messing around, it'll look just fine!

Here's a simple star texture I made:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/ ... /stars.jpg
Pazystamo

Post by Pazystamo »

RabidLockerGnome wrote:I just messed around with the textures some, and I think with a little messing around, it'll look just fine!
Could you upload new texture? I want to look :) I take this texture and idea from http://www.geocities.com/ngdash/whitepa ... color.html and resize to 128*128. But i will remake it for this project,its just for testing.
TheRLG

Post by TheRLG »

hehe, this texture is crappy, just a simple gradient, but its 1024 for quality reasons.. but here ya go.

http://www.hybridmenace.com/sky2.tga
Pazystamo

Post by Pazystamo »

Some updates:
Fixed sun position calculation and time calculation(GTM time is in console).
Added ambient color from texture(experimenting).
updated sky texture(not final version).
sky uv now depends from sun height.
To do (this week):
create sun scene node with disabled z and make interpolated movement (now its buggy).

Download
Waiting for comments and ideas ;)
Last edited by Pazystamo on Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Halan

Post by Halan »

can you explain me one thing why dont you just switch the sky texture to the star texture at night instead of having both rendered all the time?

but really it looks nice i really would use it in my project if you show the source code...
Pazystamo

Post by Pazystamo »

I cant switch textures because at night near horizont is something like haze and you cant see stars near horizont. Besides stars will be on sphere and rotates,now its simple skycube. Source will be released when it works, i clean up code and create some functions to get/set values(now some is build in). Maybe after month i'll release some alpha version :)
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

Looks very well!
You can also change the color of the sun between horizon and zenith.
Congrats. I even thinks that you must post your node to Niko. Irrlicht yet has not skydome and yours looks great.
ImageImage
Site development -Rock and metal online
--- etcaptor.com ------freenetlife.com
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

this is looking pretty good! Just need the sun to change colour .. maybe size too, but that might just be an optical illusion
great work man, looking really good so far :)
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Pazystamo

Post by Pazystamo »

Thanks Etcaptor and Bitplane:)
Yes, i'll do sun color "blending" acording to sky color behind it and change ambient (near horizont from texture,higer its simple gray),but maybe next week :) This work must be finished until July(its my term paper), so then i will post code to Niko,write some tutorial and some documentation.
Halan

Post by Halan »

Pazystamo wrote:I cant switch textures because at night near horizont is something like haze and you cant see stars near horizont. Besides stars will be on sphere and rotates,now its simple skycube. Source will be released when it works, i clean up code and create some functions to get/set values(now some is build in). Maybe after month i'll release some alpha version :)
looked at it again and now i know what you mean :)

something like that would also be good to be a build-in of irrlicht
Pazystamo

Post by Pazystamo »

Hi, again! After month (i haven't alot of time for this) i almost dont have any visual updates :( . But i started to make demo with GUI, that i could experiment with changeable variables,not hard coded. I have one queston, is it posible to set billboard as ESNRP_SKY_BOX with registerNodeForRendering without copying and rewrite all billboard node? Or i have to copy billboard code as new node and change this?
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

Because SceneManager->registerNodeForRendering(this, ESNRP_SKY_BOX);
is invoked every frame in OnPreRender() funtion, you must use it for new node or can add an flag value in Billboard code for swithching of render pass, but in this case user can't use interface ISceneNode and will be forced to use CBillboardSceneNode. Also similar flag can be added for ISceneNode, but this will modify engine code.
ImageImage
Pazystamo

Post by Pazystamo »

Thanks, so i have to copy billboard code into my cpp file and edit that line and save as node with other name...
Other question, i create 2 nodes with ESNRP_SKY_BOX and looks that they are rendered by creation order. Is it true, or they are sorted by somethig else (pos,material)? I think that best way to order nodes as layers should be use node->render() in update after driver->beginScene. But how to stop that engine itself dont render that node again after manual render?
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

I just take a quick look on CSceneManager code and saw this:

Code: Select all

// render skyboxes
	case ESNRP_SKY_BOX:
		SkyBoxList.push_back(node);

CurrentRendertime = ESNRP_SKY_BOX;

for (i=0; i<SkyBoxList.size(); ++i)
		SkyBoxList[i]->render();
Nodes from this type are rendered by creation order.
ImageImage