How do you compile in GTK Radiant? o.0

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...

How do you compile in GTK Radiant? o.0

Post by Guest »

Hello. I read this thread, but don't understand it. I created the .bat file and ran it, and it said something about invalid paths, yet they were correct. So I tried running that q3map2.exe file, and that didn't work either. After searching the internet, I discovered that you just choose an option from the BSP menu. I chose the first one (Single BSP -meta) and a load of text came up and it said something about a leak. I tried using the bsp file in Irrlicht, but it errored, saying it couldn't read the map. I then tried the other BSP options (single -vis, etc.), but it said it couldn't read the .bsp file. How're you supposed to compile these things!? :'( Thanks...
rt

Re: How do you compile in GTK Radiant? o.0

Post by rt »

Anonymous wrote:Hello. I read this thread, but don't understand it. I created the .bat file and ran it, and it said something about invalid paths, yet they were correct. So I tried running that q3map2.exe file, and that didn't work either. After searching the internet, I discovered that you just choose an option from the BSP menu. I chose the first one (Single BSP -meta) and a load of text came up and it said something about a leak. I tried using the bsp file in Irrlicht, but it errored, saying it couldn't read the map. I then tried the other BSP options (single -vis, etc.), but it said it couldn't read the .bsp file. How're you supposed to compile these things!? :'( Thanks...
you said that you followed the directions in the 'howto' forum but got a 'invalid path' error? that means you need to either edit your .bat file and correct the paths, or you missed a stop and didn't create the required folders. please give us some more information about what you tried to do.. i.e. post your .bat file, where you installed things to, etc.
Gold_Fusion

Post by Gold_Fusion »

I am the above Guest. I don't have Quake 3 or any of the other games it mentioned, so I instead pointed it to C:\Rich\Projects\.
.bat file wrote:"C:/Rich/Projects/q3map2" -v -game quake3 -fs_basepath "C:/Rich/Projects" "C:/Rich/Projects/baseq3/maps/test.map" > "C:/Program Files/GtkRadiant-1.3/junk.txt"
pause
deps

Post by deps »

I dont know if it is the quote box breaking the lines, but make sure that
ther is only 2 lines i that .bat file.
(move the second line to the end of the first one)
rt

Post by rt »

Gold_Fusion wrote:I am the above Guest. I don't have Quake 3 or any of the other games it mentioned, so I instead pointed it to C:\Rich\Projects\.
.bat file wrote:"C:/Rich/Projects/q3map2" -v -game quake3 -fs_basepath "C:/Rich/Projects" "C:/Rich/Projects/baseq3/maps/test.map" > "C:/Program Files/GtkRadiant-1.3/junk.txt"
pause
looks ok. post the exact error message you are getting.
Gold_Fusion

Post by Gold_Fusion »

Well, that's odd. The exact same file is now working perfectly, without any modifications. :?
keless

Post by keless »

thats because I fixed it for you. with my MIND. 0.o
a screen cap is worth 0x100000 DWORDS
Gold_Fusion

Post by Gold_Fusion »

Eek! Please don't hurt me! u_u Hmm, I put test.bsp in a zip file called test.level, and when I ran my the game (after changing the filenames in the code), the level was not there (or invisible). The console said that there was an error loading the texture. To be honest, I don't have a clue where it is, and I can't find a way to add my own texture directory to the list. Is this why the level didn't appear? I would've asumed that it would be a black, white, or grey colour, but I suppose invisible makes sense... It's just a collection of vertices, really. Anyway, do you know how I can add my own texture directory to the list, or use my own textures in GTKR? Thanks.
rt

Post by rt »

Gold_Fusion wrote:Anyway, do you know how I can add my own texture directory to the list, or use my own textures in GTKR? Thanks.
yup. i mentioned that in the tutorial (http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... .php?t=879)

" now it's time to texture the inner walls. in order to import textures into GTKR simply create a folder such as baseq3\textures\my_textures, then in GTKR click on Textures->Directory List and select the folder. of course you must first place whatever .jpg's you want to use into that folder.
if your box is still highlighted then simply click on one of the thumbnails in the texture preview window and your whole box will be covered with that texture. press ESCAPE to de-select the box and fly around, make sure all walls are textured. "
Gold_Fusion

Post by Gold_Fusion »

rt wrote:select the folder.
Where? I don't get to choose my own folder.
rt

Post by rt »

you should be able to choose any subfolder of baseq3\textures\ .. which version of GTKR are you using? did you configure GTKR to look in the right place for textures?

my textures are in baseq3\textures\roomtex, and in GTKR i click on the menubar "Textures" then "Load Directory" and roomtex is one of the options in the list
Gold_Fusion

Post by Gold_Fusion »

Okay, I can load my textures, compile, and make the archive for it easily. :) However... The level still won't appear in game! Here are the contents of my console after I run the game.
Irrlicht Engine version 0.4
Loaded mesh:test.bsp
Needed 0ms to create OctTree SceneNode.<1 nodes, 24 polys>
Needed 0ms to create OctTreeTriangleSelector.<1 nodes, 24 polys>
Loaded mesh:../irrlicht-0.4/media/faerie.md2
Warning: DirectX8 present failed.
Press any key to continue
What' the problem with it?
rt

Post by rt »

Gold_Fusion wrote:Okay, I can load my textures, compile, and make the archive for it easily. :) However... The level still won't appear in game!
post a link to the zip file containing the .bsp and textures.. perhaps the level is invalid.
Gold_Fusion

Post by Gold_Fusion »

rt

Post by rt »

when i load up test.bsp i see a slightly rectangular room with all walls textured with 'wall.jpg'.

Code: Select all

Loaded texture: wall.jpg
Loaded mesh: test.bsp
Needed 0ms to create OctTree SceneNode.(1 nodes, 24 polys)
i have implemented the code niko posted in this thread (http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... =5984#5984), i'm not sure if that has to do with the level working for me. do you see anything when you load it up?