Smooth mixed 1st + 3rd Person Camera Scene Node (for RPG)

Post those lines of code you feel like sharing or find what you require for your project here; or simply use them as tutorials.
xterminhate

Post by xterminhate »

I have just updated the camera. Divider has been added into code and XML config file with 1.0 value (jclins'hardawre will use 65536 (2^16)).

Do not hesitate to give me your impression.

Enjoy,
Xterm-In'Hate.
Return to Irrlicht after years... I'm lovin it.
It's hard to be a Man !
Si vis pacem para belum
cubicool

Post by cubicool »

I just wanted to post real quick and say I really love this camera class. Nice work! I had been using v1 for a while and just noticed you've made some nice changes. :)

I wonder if--with a little adherance to coding style--if this camera could be added into Irrlicht CVS HEAD? It's certainly immensely useful...
jclins

Post by jclins »

If anyone is too lazy to download and compile the code by xterminhate, I've setup a test video of the cam for my project. Here's the direct video link:

http://rapidshare.de/files/13602769/DW1 ... m.wmv.html

A big thanks to xterminhate for such an excellent cam. :D
cubicool

Post by cubicool »

OMG! DRAGON WARRIOR! Nice work...

I remember that game being impossible! I also remember trying to find some mythical gold slime or something...

Anyways--because that's such a cool rendition of DW, I put a copy of that video on my own website so you don't have to go through that horrible dance on rapidshare; yuck.

http://www.cherustone.com/DW1_test_cam.wmv
xterminhate

Post by xterminhate »

That's really fun !!! 8)

May I put the video link onto the first page of that thread ? With mirrors ?

Btw, the camera can be improved a lot, and I thank you for pushing me to make it better :-)
It's hard to be a Man !
Si vis pacem para belum
jclins

Post by jclins »

cubicool -- Thanks, here's the "official" WIP thread for the DW 1 remake project:

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=11033

xterminhate -- sure thing. the more mirrors the better. :D
kickBack

Post by kickBack »

You should add run function kinda:

if shift is down
player moving speed = player movig speed * run boost
else
player moving speed = preivous moving speed

:)
Its just a suggestion, I already did so to my proj.
xterminhate

Post by xterminhate »

That's a good idea. I will add a "run" key into the next release (V7) !
It's hard to be a Man !
Si vis pacem para belum
lug

Post by lug »

xterminhate wrote:That's a good idea. I will add a "run" key into the next release (V7) !
While you're at it, why not also add a "jump" and "croach/squat" and "crawl" feature as well? For "jump" you could expose the height and distance in the xml file. For "croach/squat" and "crawl" you could make the speed and height adjustable in the xml file.

Also, a "leaning" or "peak-around_corner" feature would be nice as well. Again, allow the user to adjust the distance/angle of leaning in the xml file.

So to recap:

1. jump
2. croach/squat
3. crawl
4. leaning/peaking

:)
xterminhate

Post by xterminhate »

Why not lug. But I will have to change the model I use in the test program in order to test all new features (a model with different position). Have you got one I could use ? I'm really not an expert in character modeling.
It's hard to be a Man !
Si vis pacem para belum
andrei25ni

Post by andrei25ni »

I agree with lug . Very good idea ! :D
jclins

Post by jclins »

I can't wait for the next update. What kickBack and lug suggested is so cool. I don't mean to add to the list, but it would be cool if one can also fly/float. What do you think, xterminhate? Anyways, thanks for such a great cam. :D
xterminhate

Post by xterminhate »

I have just updated the camera. V7 brings the running feature.

I can implement jumping without physics engine but that will not be realistic (you know first quake like game...). That will be good enough ?

Croaching and crawling interefere with animation and the camera does not support animation at all. This is probably not really complicated to offer support of animation, but.... I need animated mesh and I haven't got any.

Euh... What is leaning ?

Do not hesitate to give me your impression.

Thanks,
Xterm-In'Hate.
Last edited by xterminhate on Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
It's hard to be a Man !
Si vis pacem para belum
xterminhate

Post by xterminhate »

For my project, I devired the camera class in a CFlyingCameraRPGSceneNode because I have got a robot that float in the air (about 3 feet altitude). That's what you mean with floating/flying ?
It's hard to be a Man !
Si vis pacem para belum
lug

Post by lug »

jclins wrote:I can't wait for the next update. What kickBack and lug suggested is so cool. I don't mean to add to the list, but it would be cool if one can also fly/float. What do you think, xterminhate? Anyways, thanks for such a great cam. :D
Me want flight! Flying character, yay! I want to fly like superman!

What about using sydney character in irrlicht media folder for croaching/squating? I stink at modelling too. :cry:

v7 is by far the tightest release! I don't know what you did but everything seems to "feel" better.