Is there any way to calculate free Video RAM !!! ?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
iNVERSE-sQUARE

Is there any way to calculate free Video RAM !!! ?

Post by iNVERSE-sQUARE »

Hi folks, does anybody know of a function or algorythm to calculate free RAM on the video card - useful when develoing with large textures?

Thanks
Revelation:10,7

Post by Guest »

I think there are some usefull function in the DX sdk, but normally you dont need that (when your videocard mem is full the drivers should store your texture automatically in system-ram), you also cant copy really large textures in the memory, so I think you dont mean "large texture" but "many texture", and if you are not 100% sure what your are doing... you can let irrlicht or die drivers handle the location of your textures (when you now whats rendered first etc. its usefull to store special textures/objects in your video memory.. otherwise its just a lot of work with seamless results)

Using Textures

Post by Guest »

Yes, thanks...I do know about the driver switching to system RAM, although it's much slower I think. I'm using some textures, each about 10mb in size, for 2D animation, not 3D...not a great idea either but its all I can manage at the moment, and I was a bit concerned. I'll check ou the DX sdk OR Win API.