Welcome to the Irrlicht challenge!

Competitions for Irrlicht or 3D in general.
Irrlicht Screenshot of the Month: Winner for January, vote for February, submit for March
afecelis
Admin

Welcome to the Irrlicht challenge!

Post by afecelis »

Hi guys!

This is the place where we can set up a topic for a challenge that we can develop in group. The idea is to place a goal to achieve in each of the different programming levels (beginners, intermediate, advanced). The topic must match the level of programming complexity.

In the end, an app must be completed and all the code, artwork, etc will be shared.

Topic ideas are welcome!

ps. Bitplane and Skater please PM me to know if you're still interested in helping out as monitors! :wink:
Last edited by afecelis on Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eternl Knight

Post by Eternl Knight »

Could you please outline what the challenge is trying to do? Your post bove sounds like a competition (to me), where your post in the suggestions thread makes it sound like a "group tutorial" thing.

Just trying to get a handle on what this is about, and I'll probably be joining in the advanced one once I know what's going on :)

--EK
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

sure!

The idea did start out like a competition; but we've had several competitions before, even with prizes and ppl weren't really that motivated. Perhaps the idea of a deadline didn't fit very well. So the idea here is no deadlines, no prizes; just the will to learn the Irrlicht engine thru different exercises; hence the 3 levels.

The idea comes from the deled community; it was first posted here:
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... onth#57160

and then a poll was created for it here:
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... th&start=0

The community responded ok, but I was a bit busy with some RL stuff. Now that things have been taken care of I decided to start it out!

Only that I decided not to use the name "challenge of the month" since it implied a specific period of time, and the idea here is to take it easy, step by step, so time doesn't turn into a worry.

hope that clarifies the idea a bit, and I hope you hop on this train! :D
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Another idea;

cool code snippets generated by the challenge can then be placed in its "sister" forum :wink:
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

cool... I don't visit for a few days and all this new stuff happens :D
count me in!
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room

Post by Guest »

I'd like to be an monitor but ~~~~~~ don't know if my experience is enough!!! hehe, support !!!
Joe_Oliveri

Post by Joe_Oliveri »

bitplane wrote:cool... I don't visit for a few days and all this new stuff happens :D
count me in!
Hahaha... I agree I feel the same way. Man... :) Well it looks like we are both here. Let's get this thing started.
Irrlicht Moderator || Game Designer
Learn the basics at </dream.in.code>
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

shall we give it until the end of this weekend and then pollify the idea threads?
then we can leave it for a few days of voting to see which challenges people would most like to take part in, then write up the official challenges, and a new thread for each one.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

I agree. It's about time. Work has kept me a bit busy (not really work itself, but visiting ppl-companies trying to find some!! :wink: ), but I hope we can sort it out this weekend to start our first official challenge in the 3 categories.

I'm also checking the messenger thingie so that we can chat easier.
:wink:
Artenius

Post by Artenius »

afecelis wrote: So the idea here is no deadlines, no ...
Allegro community's contest initiatives always worked and they always had deadlines. Sometimes 1 week deadline depending on the contest... Their point was: "Make anything you can. No matter if it is not finished or not."
Of course people weren't just uploading trash but most people just like me are just hobbyists and sometimes just go writting random code and eventually finish a little project here and there.

There's the other side of the problem tho. There are people who are motivated, does code something cool but then thinks it's so cool that it can't go opensource.
Joe_Oliveri

Post by Joe_Oliveri »

Well if they make something really cool, but don't wish to share it your not forced to enter the contest.
Irrlicht Moderator || Game Designer
Learn the basics at </dream.in.code>
Artenius

Post by Artenius »

That's what I am talking about. If they don't enter the challenge then there won't be so many people to make it funnier for us to be challenged against. It would be cool if everybody could enter.