Do scenenode have a flag saying "data changed"

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
powerpop

Do scenenode have a flag saying "data changed"

Post by powerpop »

niko

does irrlicht have this build in, i am going to look at the source but just in case i miss it ... this kind of flag would be flipped whenever someone changes the position, scale, rotatation, mesh - anything that effects the rendering of the object in between frames - where this is very useful is with animators - for instance read my tokamak thread - it would save a TON of processing time if i can simply check this flag on each scenenode before going through the work of updating the physics animator with all the transforms, etc

the way this works is that this flag starts as false - then when something significant is changed is flipped to true - on render its set back to false

i am hoping that tokamak has a similar flag set between each simulation step
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Hm, nice idea, maybe this also could be used to make the collision animator faster. :)
schick

As i already said...

Post by schick »

a velocity vector would be quite useful, too.
powerpop

Post by powerpop »

i bet this would help the collision routines, then you only have to check things that are in motion - was it here that people were talking about rayscene queries before doing bounding box test? - that's another approach that can help - anything to cut down the number of tests

i think velocity is one of those things that is part of physics - or part of other subsystems - if there was a userdata pointer you could just attach a struct to each scenenode and store velocity there - that would be handy