New X exporter for blender 241!

A forum to store posts deemed exceptionally wise and useful
Triple-J

Post by Triple-J »

That last post helped.

i used that same exporter, open with MVIEW and saving it. Now its working in irrlicht.

Problem is in exporter, that not be "standarizes". i think it is but not.

DO YOU HAVE PROBLEM WITH .X?! TRY THIS FIRST...

IF YOU USE DirectX Exporter (for Blender by Ben Omari). ALSO USE MVIEW TO SAVE IT AGAIN. IT COULD BE HELP.

vermeer

Post by vermeer »

Not all tools need this. For example, Character Fx and Ultimate Unwrap, I was informed work directly. I was informed cause I can't know; I dont make programming, so can't check.

I think Max exporter instead, needs the MS mview step.

About Ben's new exporter for Blender 2.41 ..works like charm here.

I need yet to bake the stuff, and what is more, maybe due to some sort of lack of knowledge of the tool (I usually animate with mainly max, sometimes with xsi and other tools..With blender, almost just testing for the engines exporters. )

But to the point. It works. I have to make a keyframe of all bones in pose mode, so to make it aware of the constraints used, and use ctrl+a, etc. I did a quite complex rig to test and report him (a bit late :oops: )

Well, it all works. I gotta guess how you bake stuff so to appear at NLA editor in blender, as is way better hit a button once than go adding keyframes moving the timeline bar to each keyframe where the controlling empties did got a change so, a keyframe (I use autokeyframe on )

This is more important than it seems ; I know now I could make a complex anim, with feet glued on ground when desired, with jumps forward in world space, with track to constraints, etc.
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
dhenton9000

Post by dhenton9000 »

Vermeer--

So you got the new 2.41 exporter to work for Blender? Is that the one that comes bundled in the program?

Do I understand you to say that I have to add a keyframe for the whole puppy?

Did you use vertex groups or envelopes?

Could you post the blender file????
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

I will answer tonight.

All worked, yep. (no texactly in irrlicht, haven't tested there, but usually all which works in mview...)
imagination304

Post by imagination304 »

Hi afecelis,

Does the new .x exporter export all the animations created in Blender to .x file successfully?

Thanks in advance.
Sammy
:D
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

Dhenton

well, it works on our dx8 mview and skinnedmesh dx9 sample...must work in irrlicht.

I never use the included one, but the one from his site

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/glabro1/python241.html

My crappy sample scene (it has track to constraints, copy location and rotation, I think, and ik solvers.Plus root movement along world space. All work if you did hit ctrl+a to the mesh AND armature selected previous to asigning armature vertex groups , and did an action previous start to animate, then once animated, BAKE it, and . If you were as dumb as me and didnt do the action previous to animate (I dont know how to make it all work no in a cool way, lol), you can just do what I did for this dirty test: added keyframes there were I saw empties key frames in the NLA window, as after all, my rigs are allways controlled by empties. So to have glued or glued-sliding feet to floor, and knees controlled by empties with track to constraints)

Important...

I use:

-export all (yup, just delete what u dont want. I yet though like to export floor, as interpolation when you do my dirty way (good if memory size of file is important) is important, as when you bake, ok, you'r safe it'll be just as is seen, but if instead do like I did for this test, it takes in consideration teh TYPE of interpolation choosen And often feet sinking on floor occur, better controlled visually if export the floor for testing purposes, too)

-flip z marked, left handed system
-swapzy marked, so Y axis is up
-Animation marked (of course!)

No need for normals flipped in my tests.

For ultimate unwrap import u need other settings.But is not the case.

The file :

http://www.savefile.com/files/9234637

tell me if got yet so problems. I did test that one (adding the keyframes around empties nla keyframes, that is, with i key, as was dumb enough notot make action previous to "animate", so bake think doesn't work with this scene)

I hope I'll remember to come back to this thread, I'm lately pretty disorganized...

Last notes:

- Avoid dots in any kind of name, be it bones, materials...avoid punctuation, blanket spaces....

- avoid isolated vertices, unconnected by edges. Use clean mesh for this, or simply, be clean when modelling ;)

-triangulate once you wont model more! previous to asigning vertex groups/armature.

-remove doubles. maybe ben will add some fix to this, though is more a feature than a fix, and will surely help in adding faked smooth groups in blender, as blender doesnt have it. I mean, is the old blender trick of break themesh to have sharp edges and avoid mesh darkening, I mean, is a way to actually export to our irrlicht game engine as x.

if there's still missing, which I doubt, some tip, I'll complete it later or other day.I think that's all. :)
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

whoa! nice work and tut there tio! :wink:

thanks for the file. Little by little I'm finally getting into rigging in blender so your file comes "hand in glove" to my educational purposes. :D
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

that ugly worm I made have root moving in world space (non convenient for some engines, essential for otehrs) , IK solvers to empties (so to leave feet glued in floor when desired) , and I could have added feet with copy rotation constraints, too. And it has knees track to constraint, as if not, knees get crazy while ik moving. And you can handle the knee empties to control knee orientation.

But is far, far from being a good rig...Yet though, it shows some ...usable... tricks :) better than nothing :)

Blender can be used perfectly to animate characters powerfully for irrlicht, imho.
Frank Dodd

Post by Frank Dodd »

I have had this problem also, its had me gnashing my teeth all day although the solutions I found were simple in the end.

Exporting from Blender (2.44) the key was switching off the Flip Z button when exporting to Direct X so that it uses a right handed system. This option is on by default.

As mentioned elsewhere in these forums, the faces are also flippable by scaling the model by -1 - 1 -1 or by using the flipSurfaces command.

I did find it odd that flipping the surfaces in the model and the flip normals option in the exporter did nothing.
evilbobthebob

Post by evilbobthebob »

Considering what you've posted, .x seems quite a restricted format :P But anyway, I've found that the Blender exporter seems to have a limit on the length of texture names to 18 characters or so, so caution with material naming is a good idea.
Bwahahahaha...the world is mine.

Maybe.

Well, maybe not.
fireside

Post by fireside »

Exporting from Blender (2.44) the key was switching off the Flip Z button when exporting to Direct X so that it uses a right handed system. This option is on by default.
I just tried this with an exporter I have on my hd. Don't know if it's the same one but it says xfilexporter2.42. I'm still using 2.42, haven't gotten around to upgrading. Anyway, did a quick model with animation, turned off the z flip button, put it in the Irrlicht mesh viewer example, and there it was with animation working.