Can I do games with this?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Mike JezZ

Can I do games with this?

Post by Mike JezZ »

Hi there!

I am new at making gmaes...

I can do maps to allmost all FPS games out there today... But cant do a single coding.

Is it possible for me to make games with this engine?
dawasw

Post by dawasw »

Sure, try it! :D

I came to irrlicht with almost no skill - and now I have quite amateur knowledge of something.

As a start read whole irrlicht tutorials. Remember also to learn some basic c++ (reading tutorials via net is even a good experience). Also don't start with making such complex things like Physics/Advanced Shooting etc. stuff; the best for you would be play with irrlicht atm.

At the begining search the forums for any kind of framework to work with.

After learning a lot you will understand everything. Even if you don't know something, you can try to see what happens.

I have been interested with this engine for about one and half year or maybe longer (I really cannot remember)

Now I'm at RPG development stage, with some very basic made things, but most code I do is working good in irrlicht (but not excellent :P).

So the answer is: Yes, it is possible to do games with this engine starting from - zero skill. (game will also depend on your will to complete the project, ideas and strength)

Good luck m8 ;)
kburkhart84

Post by kburkhart84 »

Yes, but you need to learn how to program(as in actual code). Irrlicht is a graphics engine(read, not Game Maker). For that reason it will run better andlook better than the average Game Creation software, but you have to code it. I mean to say it isn't click and play.
Mike JezZ

Post by Mike JezZ »

dawasw wrote:Sure, try it! :D

I came to irrlicht with almost no skill - and now I have quite amateur knowledge of something.

As a start read whole irrlicht tutorials. Remember also to learn some basic c++ (reading tutorials via net is even a good experience). Also don't start with making such complex things like Physics/Advanced Shooting etc. stuff; the best for you would be play with irrlicht atm.

At the begining search the forums for any kind of framework to work with.

After learning a lot you will understand everything. Even if you don't know something, you can try to see what happens.

I have been interested with this engine for about one and half year or maybe longer (I really cannot remember)

Now I'm at RPG development stage, with some very basic made things, but most code I do is working good in irrlicht (but not excellent :P).

So the answer is: Yes, it is possible to do games with this engine starting from - zero skill. (game will also depend on your will to complete the project, ideas and strength)

Good luck m8 ;)
Hi, sounds like youre very good :P Or, you have great knowledge and walked the same way as I did :P

May I add you to MSN? :P
killzone721

Post by killzone721 »

If you want... i can set up an already 3rd person shooter environment for u

in ONE source file ... Hope that helps

just say it and i will provide a link

BTW u say that u know how to make maps... that can help u to join a team

LIKE MINE...

killzone721@gmail.com

if u want to join mine... just say it here and if u don't and want the 3rd person shooter environment... i will provide it to u

PLS CONSIDER :wink:
TO ALL THE AMATEURS OUT THERE LIKE ME......

AIM HIGH AND YOU MAKE SOMETHING PRETTY DECENT TO SHOW THE WORLD

CURRENTLY WORKING ON MY COMPANY WITH ME CREW MEMBERS. MY COMPANY IS CALLED
BIG DREAMS
AND WE ARE MAKE VERSION 0.1 FPS GAME
ErUs

Post by ErUs »

you must be desperate :P
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

When it's finished, Reality Factory 2 (anyone remember the g3d based Reality Factory? I think afecelis does :D ) will provide the easy-to-use game creation suite built ontop of Irrlicht. Until then, Irrlicht is a code-or-die type of environment, though the code you have to write is VERY simple compared to something most engines or raw opengl/direct3d.
Mike JezZ

Post by Mike JezZ »

AndyCR wrote:When it's finished, Reality Factory 2 (anyone remember the g3d based Reality Factory? I think afecelis does :D ) will provide the easy-to-use game creation suite built ontop of Irrlicht. Until then, Irrlicht is a code-or-die type of environment, though the code you have to write is VERY simple compared to something most engines or raw opengl/direct3d.
Nice, Ive tried Reality Factory (1?); and I did have some problems coding :P

Will the "2" be alot easier? And still free?
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

In RF1, there wasn't any programming, though there was simple pawn scripting (of which there are many you can download and use without having to script them). RF2 follows that trend. It is still free. The best way I can describe it is as RF1 built on top of Irrlicht; it's more of an upgrade than a redo, though it is a complete re-write.
hoffhoff

Post by hoffhoff »

Hello,
I´ve just started to create a shooting 3rd person game like Worms 3D. I´m building it for free. I also got the space at sourceforge boomwar.sourceforge.net (still under construction).
If you (or someone else) wants to participate the project for fun or to get skills, contact me =]
My e-mail is:
renanguerra1@yahoo.com.br

I´m working alone, but I would really apreciate some help =]

Thanks!