Can Irrlicht.net be used with .NET 2.0

Irrlicht.Net is no longer developed or supported, Irrlicht.Net Cross Platform is a much more complete wrapper. Please ask your C# related questions on their forums first.
swong

Can Irrlicht.net be used with .NET 2.0

Post by swong »

We've come across a problem where Irrlicht appears to require the mscorlib from .NET 1.0. So on our systems, it will only run if we have .NET 1.0 installed alongside .NET 2.0 which we need the rest of our app. Is this truly a problem or have we forgotten some sort of reference to make Irrlicht reference the 2.0 version of mscorlib? Thanks!
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

if you use MSVC2005 (free) you'll automatically be using the 2.0 .net files. It requires them by default.
Last edited by afecelis on Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe_Oliveri

Post by Joe_Oliveri »

Just make sure that with any release you send to someone include the .NET 2.0 install because I have seen a few people who are not developers. Still have 1.1 or even no .NET installed on the computer.
Irrlicht Moderator || Game Designer
Learn the basics at </dream.in.code>
swong

Post by swong »

We're using VS.NET 2005 Team Suite Edition, so we definitely have .NET 2.0 installed already. That's not the issue. The question is whether or not Irrlicht runs unmodified and/or un-optioned on a .NET 2.0 system.

What I think I'm hearing from everyone's responses is that Irrlicht should run fine on a machine with *only* .NET 2.0 installed and with no modifications or other compile options set. Yes?

Thanks!
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

It does. Just make sure the machine you'll be running your app on has the .net 2.0 runtime environment files installed.

It happened to me, I created this walkthru that ran ok on my machine, took it to my client, installed it trusting it would run ok by default and...bam!!! Nothing!

I thought it was a video driver version, DX9.0c runtime version, etc etc etc. But installing the DotNet Framework 2.0 solved it :wink:
Das Gurke

Post by Das Gurke »

There is a vcredist.exe around. It installs exactly the part of the .net framework you need if you compiled your app with Visual Studio Express

It usually comes with your compiler. Have a look in
Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\Bootstrapper\Packages\vcredist_x86 (or x64 , machine depending)

But to make chaos perfect soom developers seem to miss it. Then go and google it:

Further info inside the MSDN

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPo ... 5&SiteID=1
Joe_Oliveri

Post by Joe_Oliveri »

you can also go to msdn.com and download the .NET 2.0 exe.
Irrlicht Moderator || Game Designer
Learn the basics at </dream.in.code>

Post by Guest »

Irrlicht.NET.H file

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/i ... iew=markup

I am not sure how the

#using <mscorlib.dll>

is interpeted if you have 1.1 installed during compilation time. You could download the Irrlicht.NET from SVN and recompile it yourself on a machine which only has .NET 2.0 installed to make sure. As you have team edition this shouldn't be too much of a hassle to compile.
luckymutt

Post by luckymutt »

Also, I have read on msdn that you can set up your app's installer to check for the .NET 2.0 runtime and install the redist if it is not already there. It can even do what they are calling a "silent install" if you so choose.
Join us in the Irrlicht chatroom:
[url]irc://irc.freenode.net/irrlicht[/url]

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. -D.Adams