IrrLicht engine for 2D games

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Solid

IrrLicht engine for 2D games

Post by Solid »

Hello everyone,

I'd like to know if it would be possible to create quality 2D games using the IrrLicht engine and maybe Serg's 2D classes (i.e. side scrollers like Neighbours from Hell or maze-type games). Should I just use a strictly 2D engine?

I should mention that I'd like to use DirectX and not OpenGL, SDL, etc.

Thanks
keless

Post by keless »

I definately think you can, as long as you're not worried about per-pixel collision detection for your sprites-- though even then, you might be able to.

You can see the Tetris game I made which is in a weird 2D/3D hybrid (but needs better graphics.. not a fault of the engine) at: (*shameless self-promotion number 1*)
http://www.skyesurfer.net/keless/IrrLicht/tetris/

Furthermore, if you want some base code to get your window started, you can use ICE: (*shameless self-promotion number 2*)
http://www.skyesurfer.net/keless/IrrLicht/ICE/

You'd have to create your own level/scrolling/etc formats. I have seen some of Serg's classes and the collision box code seems good. I think you could definately use IrrLicht for your purposes.
a screen cap is worth 0x100000 DWORDS
Solid

Post by Solid »

Thanks, I needed to hear that. I have already checked out your code. You've done a good job and it's helping me a lot.

When you say "create your own level/scrolling/etc formats" you mean creating the required classes?
keless

Post by keless »

yes. you'll have to create your own classes and all the code, etc involved.

IrrLicht is only a 3D graphics API and while it provides a way to display 2D and 3D graphics, set up GUI, recieve events and load in models, textures etc-- it doesnt provide any game-logic structure at all. You must build all of that. (Though, ICE is there to get you started.)
a screen cap is worth 0x100000 DWORDS
Solid

Post by Solid »

Ok thanks. I'll let you guys know how its progressing.