Modeling issues with Irrlicht

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Zandman26

Modeling issues with Irrlicht

Post by Zandman26 »

Well as my subject says my game programing group has a bit of a problem with our models, as Im the only one with a long experience of doing 3D models I got the work of doing the Meshes for the game.
Problem is that I have only worked with LightWave 3D and Irrlicht does not support the .lwo format.
So what we done so far is that we downloaded a trial version of Milkshape 3D and converted in to ms3d files, so far so good but when it came to making the objects move with skeligons or skeliton we ran out of luck, Milkshape does not support LWs buildup on skelitons and to learn how Milkshape works before my demo licens runs out is probebly not an option as 3D modeling programs are often very complicated.
So my question is, can I solve this problem another way or do I need to program my own converter for bones from LW to ms3d?
TheGameMaker

Post by TheGameMaker »

hmmm i think Blender can load lwo... and Blender can export to ms3d... just an idea...
Zandman26

Post by Zandman26 »

Hm, will look on that again, we have bin working a bit with blender before and did not make it work but might get luckey this time.
But the question is, can blender read all lwo data so that even the bones get transformed in to something that Milkshape can read?
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

You know if you have the cash the 25 dollars or so to spend on the program is worth it. plus the forums at chubalum soft are quite helpful and if you ask, someone will point you to a quick little tutorial or two or you could just go here and use all of these tutorials. they work basically the same for all types of models. the car tutorial is for props and the gun can also be for aniumations and such

here's the link: http://www.tutorialguide.net/3d_software/milkshape/