Irrlicht License?

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
szopen

Irrlicht License?

Post by szopen »

I want to develop a game in Linux - ok, "develop a game" is a tto strong wording. I want to have fun with developing a game on Linux. But i don't want to use anys eparate engine, as i don't need many of things comonly foun in engines.

Now for the main question: IrrLicht has zlib license. Does that mean, that i am free to use just pieces of code from IrrLicht in my own project, as far as it will be marked as such and prject will be free? What if project iwll became GPLd?
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

The Irrlicht license is based off of the zlib license.
The Irrlicht Engine License
Copyright © 2002-2003 Nikolaus Gebhardt

This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software.

Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose, including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it freely, subject to the following restrictions:

The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be appreciated but is not required.
Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be misrepresented as being the original software.
This notice may not be removed or altered from any source distribution.
You can shuffle code from the engine to your engine as long as you:

The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be appreciated but is not required.
Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be misrepresented as being the original software.
This notice may not be removed or altered from any source distribution.
Crud, how do I do this again?
szopen

Post by szopen »

Don't kwno why my first answer disappear...

But here is second try. I read the license; i just don't know whether "alter and redistribute" means also "chunks of code" and whether i could then use such chunks in GPLD code.

Also, i am not making engine. Just small softwre project, where one of principles is to avoid as many dependencies as possible.
Saalen

Post by Saalen »

The Irrlicht license is less restrictive than the GPL, you may use it in GPL releases.
But you have to take care of the original copyright, which is possessed by the author of Irrlicht.
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

If you take "chunks of code" it's the same as altering and using, so the license would apply.
Crud, how do I do this again?
szopen

Post by szopen »

Thank you all for quick answers!