My first video (custom Halo 3 trailer)

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
cypher543

My first video (custom Halo 3 trailer)

Post by cypher543 »

As most of you may know, Bungie announced Halo 3 during E306. I just got Ulead Video Studio Plus, so I wanted to try it out. I went ahead and got some music from www.opsound.com (Creative Commons licensed) and put together a custom trailer with various Halo 1/2 custscenes and a scene from the H3 trailer at the end. Enjoy! Post your comments, pls. :D

New Link on RapidShare
Bink Standalone Format - under 3 mb - 1 min 27 seconds - 352x240

I thought the music went very well with the trailer. It just has that "Halo" feel to it. :P
Last edited by cypher543 on Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RustyNail

Post by RustyNail »

:cry: What codec did you use? I cannot play it.... Whaaaa!
I have recently discovered that both the Flu and my Algebra teacher have exact the same effect on my health: it quickly degrades.
cypher543

Post by cypher543 »

RustyNail:
It's in MPEG format. You need WinAmp, RealPlayer, or Quicktime to play it.

Also, I'd like to make a few things clear. I'm not directing these at anyone here.

I've been having trouble over the last few hours with people bashing the music in the video on the Bungie forums. Here's a few points I would like to make:

1. If you think the music "sucks", keep it to yourself. I've had enough of those comments.
2. I understand that there are small spots in the video where the music is out of sync. However, this is due to the fact that I really needed the music to work with the beginning and end of the movie. In order for the "upbeat victory" tune to begin during the fade-in of the Halo 3 logo, I had to sacrifice some synced areas.
3. I used ambient music becuase the focus of the whole video is on the seriousness of Master Chief's situation. It seems that many people would rather have a hard rock guitar solo... and to those people, I say: Bite me.
4. The purpose of this video was not to provide something that people could play an air guitar to. It was made to be a serious fan-made trailer for Halo 3, not a "OMG! ROCK OUT!" music video.
5. Do not tell me to use Halo music. I chose this music becuase it is original, and it's not something I just ripped from the Halo 2 soundtrack.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Those are just a few of the issues that I've had on the Bungie forums, and I'd rather not deal with them here.
andrei25ni

Post by andrei25ni »

I liked it !

Good job ! :wink:
gfxstyler

Post by gfxstyler »

yeah same here i downloaded it and its cool! but the fonts don´t quite fit to halo in my opinion.

ps: are those pre-rendered cutscenes from halo3 or is the gfx really that good?

nice work :)
cypher543

Post by cypher543 »

Thanks for the comments!

And the font should go with Halo becuase... well... it's the Halo font. o.O

The only part from Halo 3 is the end where it shows a closeup of MC and then shows the huge explosion. But yes, Halo 3 actually does look that good. The trailer was actually filmed in real-time. Which means everything that you see in the trailer is being controlled with code. It's not just a custscene rendered in 3D Studio Max or something.

Anyway, I'm glad you liked it. :D
RustyNail

Post by RustyNail »

Qicktime don't play it.... :cry:
Has some dumb error...
I have recently discovered that both the Flu and my Algebra teacher have exact the same effect on my health: it quickly degrades.
cypher543

Post by cypher543 »

Get WinAmp. It plays it out of the box. No need to download any codecs. I don't exactly know what codec this uses. Just whatever Ulead Video Studio encodes to. If you're really desperate, you could get a video converter and convert it to Quicktime's MOV format. But, I don't think it's worth it for a 1 min 27 second fan-made Halo 3 trailer. :P

Ugh, I am so sick of the people on the Bungie Forums. Bunch of fanboy dumba****. "The music sucks", "You need a guitar solo", "What's up with Armageddon???". That's all I hear from them. It's like nothing if ever good enough. And this is my first try at ever making a video like this! I'm not freaking Marty, people! (The guy who composed all of Halo's music).

Oh well... they don't know anything anyways. They're all crying over the loss of their wonderful "clanmatches". Big deal...

Anyway, sorry about the codec thing. I would upload it in another format. But the other formats are too large. It took me 1 hour and 30 minutes to upload this one on dialup... and to think, all of that trouble to get flamed by a bunch of fanboys. *sigh* Why, oh why, do I even bother? (I'm not talking about the people here, btw.)
Maize

Post by Maize »

Just get VLC player. It will play anything.
cypher543

Post by cypher543 »

Sorry everyone, but I had to take the video offline. It ate up over 3/4 of my bandwidth. So sorry to everyone who didn't get to see... it's not like you were missing anything, anyway. According to the fanboys on the Bungie forums. :(
jam

Post by jam »

I Uploaded it to rapidshare as a temporary home. If I can find my old bink video tools I'll try to convert it to bink format so that I can create a self playing video file for those who are having codec issues.

http://rapidshare.de/files/22568912/Hal ... l.mpg.html
cypher543

Post by cypher543 »

Wow, thanks! Seriously, though, it's not that good. You don't need to go to all of the trouble. :P
jam

Post by jam »

cypher543 wrote:Wow, thanks! Seriously, though, it's not that good. You don't need to go to all of the trouble. :P
I would have to disagree with that assessment.

For those who are having codec issues this is a self-playing bink file, download the file and run it. The movie will play from start to finish, when done with it just delete the file. Should work on any windows system.

http://rapidshare.de/files/22571174/Hal ... l.exe.html

it comes in at <3 MB
cypher543

Post by cypher543 »

Wow! Under 3 megs? Incredible... that would have saved me tons of time and bandwidth if I had just done that in the first place. Sadly, I can't download it becuase RapidShare doesn't play nice with NATs. :(
RustyNail

Post by RustyNail »

:evil: Who dares insulat Cypher's trailer?]
LEEET ME RIIP ZEM LIMB FROM LIMB (Use your Voldermort voice here :wink: )

Wow, real cool movie.... :D
Don't know what people on the Bungie forums have against it... :shock: 8)